Can I remove the CPU fans?

Batch codes, RAM specs, BIOS settings, etc..
g0fvt

Post by g0fvt »

Hi, since I have given up pushing my BP6s to the edge (I run them at a leisurely 525Mhz these days) I have considered doing away with the nasty CPU fans, over here in the UK Maplin stocks little tubes with flanges intended for "ports" on loudspeaker enclosures, I may attach a pair to the side of the case to direct incoming air straight at the CPU coolers. (ie the power supply will slightly lower the pressure in the case and I can soon force incoming air to take primarily the route via these ports).

Incidentally both of my BP6s and my VP6 have had their capacitors some years ago and are running like trojans, some pictures of the motherboard are on my website www.lisney.org.uk

One of the BP6s is running an Openbsd server, it sits out of the way with no keyboard mouse or monitor and just hums away merrily to itself, running a DNS and Samba. The machine boots from a little 30Gb drive but has a pair of 250Gb drives for data.

The formerly watercooled BP6 on my website is retired to controlling amateur radio gear and is running with standard air cooling now.

If I have any level of success with passive cooling I will post the results on here.

Good to see people still posting.