PSU showing not working properly ...

Batch codes, RAM specs, BIOS settings, etc..
Dave Rave
G'Day Mate!

PSU showing not working properly ...

Post by Dave Rave »

my friend (he let's me sah on his computers!! :lol: ) had a spare psu sitting around left over from one of his friends.

I seem to recall it had been stated that something might definitely not be totally kosher with it.

I remember we got the multi-meter out and i went over the mobo socket and tested all the pretty different colored leads and figured ...

the +12v was ok
the +5v was close, prolly not within limits, it's showing 3.40v at the moment in mbm
the -5v i think was ok, can't tell at the moment
and the -12v was pretty crook.

===================
then I remember that modern boards don't much use the -5v anymore
so when we built the last computer, with a gee-whiz Gigabyte mobo, I stuck it in the case, and powered it up and had a look at the bios system health thingy.

what a lovely surprise to see that the -5v AND the -12v didn't get a mention.
and the +5v too, even. not shown.
(or maybe, and 3.40??)
so i says, close enough.
the psu is sort of shot, but this mobo don't care.

so i left it in

so MBM is currently showing
+3.39v
+12.52v
0.00v (on the -5v rail)
-6.88v (-12v)

so, that saved buying a new psu unit for a board that doesn't care about three of the available voltages.
===
i think the motto is,.... don't throw it because it don't work, now.
it might be sufficient for somehting later.

like my computers running sah in safe mode, cause i haven't figured out what silly part has fried and i'd really like to turn off the offending parts, if i could figure which they were....
and i think linux might be easier to turn off the loading of the unn-necessary drivers, but i can't be botherd trying to figure it all out.....
etc.
hohum

:roll: