Dual BP6 detects only one CPU

Batch codes, RAM specs, BIOS settings, etc..
Oxydius

Dual BP6 detects only one CPU

Post by Oxydius »

I have two Celeron 366 which have been running at 550Mhz for 6 years. However, recently I booted the board and it detected only 1 processor. This BIOS wrote "Celeron 550 , 1 processor(s)".
Inside the BIOS, I could see a voltage for CPU1 and CPU2. I thought one was defective so I removed one and the board worked properly with one CPU. I then swapped the other CPU and it worked too.

So, both CPUs work flawlessly but not together.
The BIOS detects only one and my WinXP install too, even though it was previously installed when it detected 2.
I have one of those latest hacked BIOS with latest HPT driver and fixed ACPI. Could that be it?
Otherwise, any ideas?
Dave Rave
G'Day Mate!

Post by Dave Rave »

one of mine went single recently
I figured the bulging caps had gotten too bad....
I went TV repair shop, he charged $60au for his time and a bag of caps (1500uf 10v) and it's back dual processor.

my other board still has some other problem, so can't say the caps fix worked, as yet.

with the caps off of the board, you can definitely see how the bulge is the insides coming out.
kuun
Post-O-Matic

Post by kuun »

the infamous bulding cap of death

i had a bp6 that WOULD NOT under any circumstances boot an OS (not even dos would work properly)

it had 16 buldged caps. i sold it to a friend who replaced the caps.. it's runnin solid with an uptime of over 6 months \o/
!!! WARNING !!!
The following forums: www.bp6.com
are infected with the following VIRUS(s): Kuun.infected.all.posts.Win2K.user

The following IRC servers has been exploited: irc.bp6.com
with the Following Exploit: Kuun.lurks.using.mIRC.v5.82.exploit
Oxydius

Post by Oxydius »

Sounds like that's the problem. I'll replace all 25 capacitors with Rubycon and see how it goes. Time to get the dual Celery off the shelves!
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

Do a little research if you are going to replace the caps yourself. If you contact Jackson(by e-mail) and let them know you have a BP6 they will send(ground) all the correct caps to you at no charge.
jackcon@ms14.hinet.net

My board had 12 each of 2 types of cap but only one type(12 caps)was bad. Jackson sent the package and I had it about one week after first contact. They sent me like 26 caps...I replace 8 instead of 12 of the bad ones.
D'oh!
Now my board is flakey again. Anyway I am going to use ABITs free RMA this time.
Good luck

Oh check out the posting "Faulty Caps"
There are *almost* no bad BP6s. There are mostly bad caps.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
ViaCPU laptop with Vista.(Works great after bumping ram to 2Gig)
P-III 850@100
Dave Rave
G'Day Mate!

Post by Dave Rave »

my TV repair guy put the caps on his multi-meter
he had a packet of 25 and I needed 26 to do two boards.

testing the good looking caps, some were marginal in they mostly showed around 1680uf instead of 1500
but some showed much less down to open circuit.
so, if you can solder for crap (I can't) and want to do 8 of the 12/13, and someone gives you the caps, use em all.