still chasing around stability, but getting somewhere...

Batch codes, RAM specs, BIOS settings, etc..
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Post by InactiveX »

Very interesting. I have always used all three slots with 256MB in each. I have PQI branded DIMMs.
Like BP6.com? Not a member?
Then why the hell not? It's great!
-> BP6.com Membership <-
Wolfram

Post by Wolfram »

hugoc wrote: Apparently this isn't just the BP6. According to places like Anandtech and Tom's Hardware, Athlon XP/64 and P4 boards are doing it too, even big-name ones. Some memory brands are worse than others for this and it isn't always the big names who are better in this, either. This problem got so bad that THG published a guide to what memory works in what board for prospective buyers.
AFAIK at least Athlon64 boards are specified for only two memory modules. So configurations with more modules may run or may not. Another problem arises from the various single/dual channel configurations, and some boards support dual channel only with single sided modules. You'd better have a look at the manual if you're not sure.

I was told that the current DDR-RAM architecture is at it's very limits now, and that the situation should improve with DDR/II, but I'm no tech guy, so take it with a grain of salt ;)
BP6, RU BIOS, XP SP3, ACPI, 2x366@523(1,95V), Pentalpha HS + 1x 12cm fan @5V, 768MB, Powercolor Geforce 3, RTL8139D NIC, Terratec EWS64L, Samsung M40 80GB (2,5''), LiteOn CDRW