Safely Removing Tualatin from Upgradeware/Powerleap adapters

Batch codes, RAM specs, BIOS settings, etc..
bdwilcox

Safely Removing Tualatin from Upgradeware/Powerleap adapters

Post by bdwilcox »

I recently stacked a 1.4 GHz Tualatin Celeron on top of an Upgradeware 370GU adapter on top of a Powerleap NeoS370 adapter. It didn't turn out too well and I was wondering how to get them apart without destroying them.

Upgradeware, on its website, states: "If you really need to unmount the CPU for a particular reason, you can use bigger "art cutter" (strong enough) , put it on the edge crack between 370GU and CPU, gently pry it up a little and then use a lifter to separate CPU and adaptor slowly."

Does anyone know what an art cutter is? A picture would be helpful. I'm stumped.

Has anyone successfully separated any of these? If so, how?

-Brian
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

I use a carpet knife or utility cutter wuth a tough blade. Don't force it in too far or you can cut a pin. After it goes in a little, just tilt/pry it to open the gap. After the gap opens, fine someting thicker to use to pry it open further. Work your way around evenly & it will gradually come free.
Zero point energy
BCN

Post by BCN »

Just use some kitchen knife for that... :)

I have been able to pry away the northwood IHS without destroying it with the same kitchen knife, so prying away some tualatin form adapter should be no prob...

Besides, what went wrong? you know you have to stack them REALLY hard together for the pins to cantact well, otherwise it does not work.
Dual C366@550MHz 1.90V :) (History)
yet single PIII-S 512Kb L2 cache at 1400MHz@700MHz
BP6 (not modded yet)
256MB PC133 C2
GF4Ti4200-8x
Maxtor 2x60Gb - all on promise ATA133
Lite-On LTR 40125S@48125W!!!
Plus P4 system
bdwilcox

Post by bdwilcox »

I have another thread here about what went wrong. It just wasn't stable with heavy CPU load.

As far as stacking them hard, the Tualatin and Upgradeware are flush, but the Upgradeware and Powerleap have a slight gap between them where I can see the head of the pins on the Upgradeware adapter. I pushed on the thing until I was blue in the face and I couldn't get it to go together any farther without fear of destroying them. How do you press them together hard enough to mate flush without cracking the base of the adapter since you have to push in on its center to press them together? I'm afraid to do it in the CPU socket lest I destroy the board, as well, in the process.

-Brian
BCN

Post by BCN »

i do not push in the center, the force just has to be distributed evenly, so you put ir on some cardborad - a piece from the box... and then you just push untill the pins go all the way and I apply my pressure on the pinholes, so on the thick part - like that you do not damage anything.

Good Luck!
BP6 (not modded yet)
256MB PC133 C2
GF4Ti4200-8x
Plus P4 system
bdwilcox

Post by bdwilcox »

Thanks, I'll give it a shot and report back my results.
bdwilcox

Post by bdwilcox »

Well, I huffed and I puffed but the gap is still there. I wonder if the pins on the Upgradeware are too long to allow flush mating with the Powerleap. I'll try again some more, this time applying non-uniform pressure. Maybe press more on one corner at a time to see if I can get them down one by one. If I hose the Powerleap's pins at this point, oh well.
BCN

Post by BCN »

well, just check the pictures of it how it fits in my thread about my tualatin adventure, which is still going on... I am also in the way of soldering job, i do not know how to, but I will learn :)
BP6 (not modded yet)
256MB PC133 C2
GF4Ti4200-8x
Plus P4 system