BIOS Snaps to Speeds

Batch codes, RAM specs, BIOS settings, etc..
theinvizibleman

BIOS Snaps to Speeds

Post by theinvizibleman »

I recently got an old computer which contained a BP6 w/ dual 533s which sparked my interest in the BP6s in general. The problem was that it would stop responding after a few minutes of active use in windows 2003 server. I now got another board, same model but with dual 366s for OCing, and I've noticed no matter what settings I change the CPU setup option in BIOS to, it either snaps to 366(default), 413, or 533 mhz. How do I fine tune this?

Another thing I noticed was on the 366s board, POST displays a 'ABIT BP6' colored picture on the top right and I don't see any BIOS version listed (RU, etc). BIOS is the same, but the POST is all different and I can't tell the version. Any ideas?
hyperspace
Board Admin

Re: BIOS Snaps to Speeds

Post by hyperspace »

theinvizibleman wrote:I recently got an old computer which contained a BP6 w/ dual 533s which sparked my interest in the BP6s in general. The problem was that it would stop responding after a few minutes of active use in windows 2003 server. I now got another board, same model but with dual 366s for OCing, and I've noticed no matter what settings I change the CPU setup option in BIOS to, it either snaps to 366(default), 413, or 533 mhz. How do I fine tune this?
http://www.bp6.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=1239
theinvizibleman wrote:Another thing I noticed was on the 366s board, POST displays a 'ABIT BP6' colored picture on the top right and I don't see any BIOS version listed (RU, etc). BIOS is the same, but the POST is all different and I can't tell the version. Any ideas?
When the computer has booted on to the main BIOS screen, look at the two lines of text, in the lower left-hand corner of the screen. At the right end of the bottom text line, you'll see two letters.

Something like this: 01/01/04-i440BX-W977-2A69KA1LC-RU

"RU" is the version of the BIOS.
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
theinvizibleman

I've been doing this from the beginning, and even with 100fsb x 5mult it still snaps to 550mhz. I'd like it to run at 500 (so OS is stable) but can't even land on that #. Basically I've observed that fine tuned OCing, including fsbs from 66-100mhz and more, and their multipliers almost never yield the correct calculated speed. The board they are in has the RU bios flash, if that matters. It could be the board thats bad because earlier when I had dual 533s in, it would stop responding everytime I booted into 2k3. I plan on reflashing the bios to RU again, then previous versions, and possibly trying the other board, though it beeps every few seconds and won't post.

Also, what is the reason for the different POST screen on one of the boards?
theinvizibleman

Today I tried the same processors both in the other board, then one at a time in either slot with the same results. I am still seeing 366(stock), 413, and 555mhz. I'm thinking the BIOS needs to be updated, but that wouldn't account much for why they're going faster than the speed set at. One of them is a SL36C (which I consantly see) and the other is a SL376. Possibly a processor problem?

Tell me what you would do if you were in my shoes.
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

theinvizibleman wrote:Today I tried the same processors both in the other board, then one at a time in either slot with the same results. I am still seeing 366(stock), 413, and 555mhz. I'm thinking the BIOS needs to be updated, but that wouldn't account much for why they're going faster than the speed set at. One of them is a SL36C (which I consantly see) and the other is a SL376. Possibly a processor problem?

Tell me what you would do if you were in my shoes.
Those are some odd speeds (413, 555). Are you changing FSB or Multiplier?
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
theinvizibleman

Tried FSB first, then multiplier. Seems like the processors are causing the problems but its 2 different SL codes I've messed with. Is the multiplier locked on this proc?
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

theinvizibleman wrote:Tried FSB first, then multiplier. Seems like the processors are causing the problems but its 2 different SL codes I've messed with. Is the multiplier locked on this proc?
Multiplier is locked on Celeron processors (most, if not all Intel processors are locked). Changing the FSB is the way to change the processor speed. You have the "Speed Error Hold" setting in the BIOS disabled, right?
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
theinvizibleman

I've had the sense to disable speed error hold from the beginning since I'm OCing, but I had never realized the multiplier was locked... what is the reason 533s can't be OCed to 100MHz FSB anyways?
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

Looks like the ppga celerons hit a wall at about 550-625mhz.

Kinda dissapointing :cry: cause when I shopped eBay I steered away from 366 cpus and went after the fastest 533s but setteled for 500s. I thought :oops: I could get them up to 750(7.5*100FSB). Now I see why the 366s are so popluar. 5.5*100=550. I expect to change my 500s for 366s so I can take advantage of the faster bus speeds on the ram/pci/age ect.
There are *almost* no bad BP6s. There are mostly bad caps.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
ViaCPU laptop with Vista.(Works great after bumping ram to 2Gig)
P-III 850@100
headseed

Post by headseed »

faster bus speeds on the ram/pci/age ect.
/r/ect./etc.
366s at 550 with 100 fsb will have the same pci and agp bus speed as at 66fsb, because you have to change the agp ratio from 1/1 to 2/3, otherwise you'll be trying to run the agp at 100fsb. But you are correct in wanting the 100 fsb, it definetly makes a difference in performance. My 400s have a .5 higher multiplier, so I have to settle for 92 fsb, the lowest possible fsb that the bp6 allows the 2/3 divisor for. So my agp/pci fsbs are 61/30, slighty underclocked, but faster overall because of the faster system speed.
Dual Barton Mobile 1.8ghz
Venice 3000+ @ 2.6ghz
lots of BP6s and two VP6s all apart currently
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

headseed,

how did i miss that pair of 366s for $12. i guess i really am NOT as smart as i think i am. HAHAHAHA

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
P-III 850@100
headseed

Post by headseed »

Yeah, a good deal, my 400s were $25 shipped, with the stock HSFs also. They run at 552, though so I dunno what the 366s will do besides give me 8mhz fsb increase. Howwever I do have another bp6 on the way, with two 466s, two alphas, and either 384 or 512 ram. Can't wait to check it out. Its unmodded, and supposedly dual stable with the 466s at stock, we'll see if it hits 100+ fsb without the ec10 mod. /crossing fingers!

edit: I'd have the 466s available possibly if everything works out with the 366s, unless of course the 466 somehow are better than my 400s. I also might have one neo s370 + cellie 566 that runs all the way up to 918 Mhz, and really makes a nice fast system in a bp6, although not smp of course. I already sold my 1 gig cellie to someone though.
Venice 3000+ @ 2.6ghz
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

I'd be rather supprised if you can get those 466s over 75fsb. The 366s should hit 100fsb.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
P-III 850@100
headseed

Post by headseed »

Ya, that's what I was thinking also. Thanks for the vote of confidence. Yay, soon I'll have two bp6's... maybe this new board will be better for my 400s and I can run them at 600! Then the 366s in the old board at 550 or higher.

Otherwise I'll have the 400s @ 552 and the 366s @ 550 or higher. I still have the 566(918 stable) with neo also, but even though its faster, without smp it is nothing.
Venice 3000+ @ 2.6ghz
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

headseed
100FSB
"drool"

hey,
i finally changed some of the caps on my bp6. it was kind of funny but the 1500uf caps"somethink like Tayae" around the cpus looked fine and my voltages and temps were ok on the cpus. the system temp...wow always nearly 15 to 30 degrees higher. that silly little greene was gone fast. used a vid card hsf.

the 1200uf caps ...those to 4-packs... they were a different brand"Jackson" and bulging and leaking and some looked ok. changed those 8 only. now system is equal to cpu temps. still cant oc the 500s to even 72fsb...darn.
david

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
P-III 850@100
g0fvt

Post by g0fvt »

Hi, not sure how old the last post in this thread was, I think you may get 500s to a 72Mhz fsb if you can keep the temperatures down.

For what it is worth I have found the Highpoint controllers in mine are unreliable with some drivers and BIOS versions at standard clock speed, at 75Mhz they are reliable. (My celerons are all 466s)

Regarding the capacitors, when I replaced mine the BP found a new level of stability, odd crashes that I had previously attributed to Windows 2000 or XP PRO simply vanished.

My original BP6 is still running, though no longer peltiered or watercooled, pictures of some of the mods are still on my neglected website www.lisney.org.uk
g0fvt

Post by g0fvt »

Hi, not sure how old the last post in this thread was, I think you may get 500s to a 72Mhz fsb if you can keep the temperatures down.

For what it is worth I have found the Highpoint controllers in mine are unreliable with some drivers and BIOS versions at standard clock speed, at 75Mhz they are reliable. (My celerons are all 466s)

Regarding the capacitors, when I replaced mine the BP found a new level of stability, odd crashes that I had previously attributed to Windows 2000 or XP PRO simply vanished.

My original BP6 is still running, though no longer peltiered or watercooled, pictures of some of the mods are still on my neglected website www.lisney.org.uk
Dave Rave
G'Day Mate!

Post by Dave Rave »

g0fvt wrote:Hi, not sure how old the last post in this thread was, I think you may get 500s to a 72Mhz fsb if you can keep the temperatures down.
Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2004

I've had mine at 78, even 80, but for heat.
no great cooling available.
g0fvt

Post by g0fvt »

My 466s once posted at 644Mhz... FSB @ 92Mhz
(sadly that is as far as they got)

You did well to get 500s as far as that, a tad over 600Mhz... mine have never ever got into the OS at that clock, I have run a sustained 574Mhz but that is definitely borderline with various buses running too far out of spec!
KliK

Post by KliK »

theinvizibleman wrote:I've been doing this from the beginning, and even with 100fsb x 5mult it still snaps to 550mhz. I'd like it to run at 500 (so OS is stable) but can't even land on that #. Basically I've observed that fine tuned OCing, including fsbs from 66-100mhz and more, and their multipliers almost never yield the correct calculated speed. The board they are in has the RU bios flash, if that matters. It could be the board thats bad because earlier when I had dual 533s in, it would stop responding everytime I booted into 2k3. I plan on reflashing the bios to RU again, then previous versions, and possibly trying the other board, though it beeps every few seconds and won't post.

Also, what is the reason for the different POST screen on one of the boards?

of course its 550MHz...the cels 366 has multiplicator 5.5 and it is locked! so the thing is that you have to put the speed around the 500...why don't you try the 5.5 multplier with 92MHz/3 FSB?! that puts you about at 506 MHz...and it doesn't mather what the BIOS says, it only mathers what the WinXP will say...and it will say you are about the 506 MHz... :D

also, what is the version of your BIOS...maybe you should put the RU or even RV version of the BIOS?!