whats the coolest heatsink and fan combo going for BP6?

Batch codes, RAM specs, BIOS settings, etc..
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

I've spent a lot of time looking on the web for serious CPU cooling options for the BP6, that don't hurt my ears. The EverCool 715 copper w/70mm fan is what I ended up choosing. I can move 30+ CFPM air & still only runs at ~30db noise level. It's compatible with Artic Silver paste, and does not collide with nearby capacitors around the socket.
They were on sale at nexfan.com for $16 on 9/1/02. The big problem is the clip has to be extended if you're using a Neo370 adapter. The clips are very stiff & hard to bend at all. I broke one EverCool 715 clip already & ended up transferring the clip from the cheap cooler that PowerLeap gives with the Neo370 kit, over to the 715. It just barely fit thru the clip "tunnel" of the 715. The copper fins actually captured the original clip, and it has to be cut off with a dremmel tool (after I broke it).
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

RRLedford wrote:I can move 30+ CFPM air
Don't forget you have 2 processors! So that's a total of 60+ CFM of air! :D :D :D
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

I'm going to upgrade (2) BP6 systems - each with (1) P-III/1100E first.
Then, after I see what level of OC speed I can reach, I may go on and add the 2nd CPU next year.
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

Does the "thermalengine" use captured liquid that vaporizes-condenses-runs back to cpu? If so, does it require the BP6 board to be horizontal for gravity to keep the liquid going back to the CPU? I'm not too keen on having my full tower case horizontal.
Last edited by RRLedford on Fri Oct 04, 2002 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

jimboandthejetset wrote:Can anybody supply a list of mainstream heatsinks that are compatible and small enough to use on the bp6. I have looked on many extreme pc components web sites but it's hard to tell which ones will fit without recomendations.
That list will definitely be on the new site!
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

jimboandthejetset wrote:Can anybody supply a list of mainstream heatsinks that are compatible and small enough to use on the bp6. I have looked on many extreme pc components web sites but it's hard to tell which ones will fit without recomendations.
Many of the models discussed in these forums are either out of production or difficult to find in the UK.
You will be hard pressed to find a better design thab the EverCool 715 or 725 (packaged as AOC also). These are polished copper & start out small at the level of the CPU (clearing the capacitors neatly). They then get wide as they go up to mate with a nice 70mm fan. The larger fan gives enough extra airflow that you can throttle it back for quietness & still have decent CFPM. The clip on the sink is a bit stiff and is captured inside the copper. Must use the paperclip extender to attach over a NEO adapter.
headseed

Post by headseed »

RRLedford, that EverCool 715 looks just like http://www.heatsinkstore.com/newsvcgc3280.html...

But with out the copper base of course. and the addition of a 80mm fan. I have one, but not on my bp6... it is on my home theater rig in a small uatx case on an athlon xp 1600+, and I replaced the stock fan with a quiet L1A panaflo... runs hot, my case needs some fans. But for 4.99, it might be a better deal and easier to get than the evercool.
Just my 2cents!

edit: oh yeah, in case you're wondering I cool my celly with an older model alpha, I'll get pics later cause I don't feel like describing it, but it is all Al, no Cu. Kinda quiet I guess. Well no, but not bad.
Just my 2cents!

edit: ok, the clip design on the one I posted is different, only one hook, not all three... so I am wrong! sry to waste everyones time.
Dual Barton Mobile 1.8ghz
Venice 3000+ @ 2.6ghz
lots of BP6s and two VP6s all apart currently
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

This looks good if the $16 EverCool 715 breaks your budget.
However, the EverCool does NOT have a 3-point clip end, unless they changet it from a few months ago.
headseed

Post by headseed »

RRledford: Yes it is a good cooler, and the 80mm fan it comes with is pretty quiet at 12v... I bet it would be good at 7v!!! I don't know if two will fit bp6 side by side, or even one will fit with the caps around the sockets on the bp6. I don't feel like tearing two boxes down right now to check. But for 4.99 you can't go wrong. Even if it doesn't fit, you can keep it around to quietly cool all but the hottest socket A (non-oced of course).

Happy New Year!
Dual Barton Mobile 1.8ghz
Venice 3000+ @ 2.6ghz
lots of BP6s and two VP6s all apart currently
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

Two 80mm will definitely not fit on the BP6 unless they are assymetrically mounted - offset away from other S370. Even the 70mm fans just about collide & any touching, with resulting tilting of HS, is to be avoided at all costs.
the_yeti

Post by the_yeti »

HI,

I uses 2 Global Win - CAKII58 fans, I buy them when I completly modded my BP6 (for 2 month now) and they worked perfectly. And moreover it fit exactly the socket. In fact this fan is 60*60 !!!!!!

Here the fan

The Test
http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20020916/cooler-23.html

SeeYa
;o)
Tom_Artosorse

ThermoEngine V60-4225

Post by Tom_Artosorse »

Well I have got two ThermoEngine V60-4225's on my bp6 now - I am overclocking two celeron 500's @ 562.5mhz (75mhz FSB) - temps seem to settle at around 38 degrees C under full load whereas when I was running stock Intel coolers I was seeing 51 degrees C, so quite a good improvement.

I would warn that these are very noisy as they come fitted with 6800rpm delta fans - running two of these right next to each other creates the sound of a thousand hair-dryers and you get a nasty oscillating vibration that travels through your desk. Not too clever if your pc is in your bedroom and you want to leave it running overnight! The vibration from these babies can be heard downstairs coming through the ceiling!

That said, they were easy enough to fit and provide adequate clearance as they don't overhang the sockets. Pretty good if you can bear the noise but I have felt the need to build another much quieter pc for late night coding and such. Also, you need to be aware that the fans should be powered directly off the PSU rather than the motherboard fan headers as they draw a lot of current. Use RPM cables to get your fan speed readings - expect to pay around £20 each for these.
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

I wonder if varying the speed of one of the fans would help to minimise the oscillations .
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
Tom_Artosorse

Not a bad idea . . .

Post by Tom_Artosorse »

hey hyperspace - that idea may well work - slowing on of the fans could change the oscillation effect, and also would give you opportunity to maybe even up the temps of the two cpus as, in my experience at least, one always runs hotter than the other.

Anyway, what do you think would be the best way to get speed control for delta fans? I'm not sure a zalman fan mate could handle the current they draw - maybe a rheobus?
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

Is the fan power connection plugged into the fan header or into a power supply connector? Is the voltage +12v or +5v?
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
Tom_Artosorse

Post by Tom_Artosorse »

both are plugged into molex connectors via RPM leads, they are getting power direct from the PSU. I've read that delta fans can kill the mobo headers on older boards - so that said, they are powered off of the 12v line.
Tom_Artosorse

ThermoEngine V60-4225 update:

Post by Tom_Artosorse »

Right, I am a bit happier with my ThermoEngine V60-4225's now - I have managed to curtail the noise by running the fans through a Vantec Nexus front-panel fan speed controller. This is a great unit for a good price (£30) and you can use it to individually control up to 4 separate fans. Each channel is rated for 18 watts so using high powered fans like my deltas is not a problem.

Hyperspace, I am happy to report that your idea about changing the speed of one of the fans to lessen the oscillation effect was correct. Using the fan controller to slow one of the fans does indeed make the annoying oscillation humming disappear.

Running both fans at about half their rated speed doesn't seem to increase the temps that much either which is good - in fact my temps are even lower now - I've been seeing anywhere between 30 and 36 degrees under full load over the past few days. I reckon that the dual fan PSU I have also fitted to my machine may have something to do with this slight drop in temps though.