Why Dual Cele1 when Cele2@1.1GHz costs $60

Batch codes, RAM specs, BIOS settings, etc..
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Why Dual Cele1 when Cele2@1.1GHz costs $60

Post by RRLedford »

OK, maybe you already have the 2nd Cele-1/366Mhz, or whatever.
But having (2) CPU fans running at high RPM - my poor ears cna't take it.
Let me just say that a 1.1GHz Cele2/128K/100 with Neo-370 adapter will set you back about $95. I've just finished moving my FSB speed up to 110MHz, and Win-XP is running just fine at 1.21GHz! Not bad for a 3-year old system.
I've just ordered (2) 1.1GHz Pentium-III's 256k/100 and will be retiring the old CPUs from both my other dual Cele1 BP6 systems (four 366 Mhz chips 2@505Mhz & 2@466Mhz). The two (used) P3s cost me $125 each & the NEO-370 adapters plus (2) premium copper CPU coolers will add another $100. So, for $175/per system I get another year of life form my dear BP6 systems.
Assuming these two CPUs will also OC to 1.2+GHz, and knowing that I can still do the DUAL-P3 mod later, is there any happier owner of (3) three-year old motherboards in the world -maybe not!
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Re: Why Dual Cele1 when Cele2@1.1GHz costs $60

Post by InactiveX »

RRLedford wrote:OK, maybe you already have the 2nd Cele-1/366Mhz, or whatever.
But having (2) CPU fans running at high RPM - my poor ears cna't take it.
I'm keeping my second Celeron to keep me warm this winter. :lol:
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

Well, the Cele2-1100Mhz@110FSB lasted for 2 days before blue screen crashes referencing the nvidia driver for the TNT2-Ultra card started to happen in WarCraft-III. So, the kids demanded I slow back down to 108MHz. The new $99 Geforce2-Personal Cinema card is waiting to be installed & the schedule is now ASAP! Still hoping to get stable at 110+MHz FSB after the new vid card goes in. -Rich
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

I was not aware that SMP with (2) 600MHz CPUs would outperform a single 1.2GHz. Granted the (2) 128K caches are bigger than a single 128K cache. Still, the SMP overhead must use up some ot the CPU processing. I'll agree DUAL CPU, when needed, is better. But I would rather start out with ONE of fastest DUAL-capable CPU .
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

My 1st of my (3) BP6 systems was upgraded to a Cele2-1100 before I found out that P-III 1100E chips were available. The next (2) systems are waiting to get their new single P-III/1100 processors, which just arrived. My initial thought was that sometimes all the grief of getting the Dual-CPU Cele1 scheme working in not worth all the expense & effort/uncertanty when a single CELE2-1100/Neo370 combo is so inexpensive. Plus the bonus of only one CPU fan to buy & to hear.
I'm going from Dual-Cele1/500 to single P-III/1100 from now on, and I'm advising others to go from single or dual Cele1 to single P-III/1100E, and then go to dual P-III if they need to & can handle all the mods.
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

DRD,
Get the NEO370 adapters from PowerLeap.com.
They will keep your soldering of the BP6 mainboard to a minimum.
They cost $25 each & come with a minimal aliminum heatsink-fan combo.
There is (1) tiny trace to cut on each NEO370 to get dual P-IIIs running.
One wire must be soldered to the mainboard under each CPU.
Some CPU related capacitors & regulators may need to be upgraded too.
It's all on the homepage links.
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

Installed the first of my two new P-III/1100E chips with EverCool(AOC) 715 Copper Heatsink/70mm Fan. Forgot to do the P-III BIOS update 1st & had to reinstall a Cele366 - Daaa. CPU running very cool with this rig.
Lots of trouble running Win-XP Pro in the 100-110MHz FSB range, and backed it down to 95MHz to get stable initially. Now I've crept back to just over 100MHz using BP6FSB.EXE utility & no problems for 16+ hours.

I've managed to keep the sound level way down by using the oversize 70mm CPU fan with a Zalman speed controller to slow it down a little.
Also put a Zalman Large passive heatsing on the Gforce2 chip with a Vantec 80mm low-noise fan, mounted above the cards, sucking ducted fresh air & blowing it straight down on the Zalman sink.
I'm getting another large Zalman passive chipset heatsink like the one used on the Gforce2 card, to replace the greenie. Then 110+FSB I hope.
Check out the www.nexfan.com site for some good cooling & H/W deals.
They have 24" rounded ATA66-133 silver braid 2-device cables for $9.
onelegdis

Post by onelegdis »

I was running 2x400 Celys at 550 till about 3 months ago, untill I switched to a 1ghz Pentiun 3(1ghz@1100ghz/110fsb with Neo). The boost in raw power, Sandra, games etc was cool but the loss of smoothness and responce in genral was a real pain. I'm waiting for another P3 and some mods. SMP can not be quantified by Mhz alone.
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

Keep us posted on the Dual P-III/1000E project. I still have not seen any posts for SMP wsing this level of CPU.
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

onelegdis,

Here's a page assessing the boost estimated from a 2nd CPU running different tests. The average is about 75%, seemingly less that what a single 2X MHz CPU would give. http://www.intel.com/eBusiness/products ... /bm877.htm

Yet, the the smoothness perception of a dual system is not imaginary either. One item I read indicated that, with a Single CPU system, any running application process MUST be regularly interrupted by the various O/S threads. With (2) CPUs, and this process passed over to the 2nd CPU the interruption frequency is much reduced. Thus, a process handed over to the 2nd CPU could execute as much as 50% faster by virtue of the greater CPU attention available. This could easily explain the perception of enhanced smoothness.