Pulled my bp6 outta the closet, what should I do to it?

Batch codes, RAM specs, BIOS settings, etc..
slapnutzz

Pulled my bp6 outta the closet, what should I do to it?

Post by slapnutzz »

It's got 2 366 cpu's running stable at a little under 500mhz. Question is, is it worth upgrading the cpu's? I've been out of the loop and have no idea what cpu's are smp and what speeds the bp6 can run.

Basically, give me the best bang for the buck upgrade with a guesstimation on price. And a full out money not an object P3 upgrade with prices as well..

I figured there would be a lot of guys on this board that could tell me what they would do.

Thanks guys.
headseed

Post by headseed »

If money is no object, then seriously buy another motherboard and cpus of your choice. Not to dis the bp6, but the mods necessary to run dual p3s are more trouble than they are worth, and even if you do it right, it still might not work for reasons out of your control. At least this is the gist I get from lurking these fora here for a little while. Just be happy with the 366s, try for 92fsb, then you should be more stable at least on the pci and agp buses. The only reason not to do 92 fsb is if the cpus won't do it, but I'd be surprised if they didn't.

Then I'd get a promise tx2 ata 100 card and 512MB of ram, and you have yourself a nice snappy box for server duties, counterstrike, browsing, etc.

Welcome aboard.

P.s. don't automatically assume that the overclock isn't stable becasue of the cpus... I had an interupt issue that had me pulling my hair out, but once resolved, has been rock solid since. But my 400s won't budge over 92fsb... good thing that 1/3 divider kicks in early.
Dual Barton Mobile 1.8ghz
Venice 3000+ @ 2.6ghz
lots of BP6s and two VP6s all apart currently
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

Best bang for the buck is to DUMP the BP6.
Fast P-III CPUs cost too much & getting them to work on BP6 is too uncertain.
Get a good brand Dual-Athlon board - if you can find one with RAID+ USB2 you will be way ahead.

I used an ACORP 6A815EP Dual-P3 to replace my dead BP6 - has RAID - $40

This let me keep using old RAM - but max of 512MB.
Lin-Lin adapters ($10-12ea) will get you up to Dual Tualatin @133FSB - but pricey$$
Entry level Dual xenon system pricing is starting to get reasonable too.
I
Zero point energy