Applebred Durons... incredible overclockers!

Batch codes, RAM specs, BIOS settings, etc..
Wolfram

Applebred Durons... incredible overclockers!

Post by Wolfram »

Hi guys,

I just purchased one of the new "Applebred" Durons. For those who do not already know: They´re castrated Thoroughbreds, with only 64kb L2-Cache. But they say you can use the deactivated cache on some of them...

I checked that out on a Shuttle AK32A / KT266A, Enermax 350W PSU, 1GB DDR, GF3 (my gaming rig). It´s not an overclocker board (but stable!), so I tried asynchronous FSB (100) settings first. That 1600 Mhz Duron went to 2063 Mhz with 1,5V default voltage.

So I used heat resistant lacquer and conductive silver lacquer and a scalpel and did that old ´n´ dirty cut-and-paint job on the bridges.

Now it is stable and not too hot @2133 Mhz + 1,7V (with an old Taisol hsf unit specified for 1200 Mhz...) 52° C max. at 100% load with "Toast" (high priority).

With 1,8V, it is still stable at 2270 Mhz, but I would have to leave the case open because the cpu gets too hot (>55°C) and the system freezes.

Btw, with full 256kb L2-Cache... not bad for 45 Euros...
BP6, RU BIOS, XP SP3, ACPI, 2x366@523(1,95V), Pentalpha HS + 1x 12cm fan @5V, 768MB, Powercolor Geforce 3, RTL8139D NIC, Terratec EWS64L, Samsung M40 80GB (2,5''), LiteOn CDRW
kuun
Post-O-Matic

Post by kuun »

dude...

i want one of those

what is the " old&dirty cut&paint job?
!!! WARNING !!!
The following forums: www.bp6.com
are infected with the following VIRUS(s): Kuun.infected.all.posts.Win2K.user

The following IRC servers has been exploited: irc.bp6.com
with the Following Exploit: Kuun.lurks.using.mIRC.v5.82.exploit
24seven
IRC Lurker

Post by 24seven »

Joining the bridges that have been cut to lock the multiplyer. I think...
Wolfram

Post by Wolfram »

Cut the bridges with a scalpel, fill the incisions with heat resistant lacquer (or something else, just a security measure in case you cut in too deep) and close the the bridges with conductive silver lacquer.

The best guide I found yet is on www.ocinside.de. It´s german, but they got an english version (http://www.ocinside.de/index_e.html). Just click on "workshop" on the left and choose one guide from the pull-down-menu.

You can also use wires to connect pins on the socket or on the cpu (that guide is only available in the german version of that site yet). That method leaves no traces on the cpu (unless you fry it;)), but it´s incompatible with my fingers. You can also blow bridges with a car battery, but you have to use very spiky leads... and probably a magnifier.

My first attempt on cutting bridges was with a sharp swiss army knife, on the old TBird/Duron (Spitfire) package. Didn´t work at all. It´s much easier with the new TBreds (softer material for the package). And with the scalpel you know where you cut, instead of guessing it.

If you got a nice overclocker board, like the Abit NF7, you can forget about all that. The TBreds, Applebred Durons and Bartons all come unlocked, just go to the BIOS and play around...
BP6, RU BIOS, XP SP3, ACPI, 2x366@523(1,95V), Pentalpha HS + 1x 12cm fan @5V, 768MB, Powercolor Geforce 3, RTL8139D NIC, Terratec EWS64L, Samsung M40 80GB (2,5''), LiteOn CDRW
kuun
Post-O-Matic

Post by kuun »

where can i find one of these applebred durons?

you can buy a abred duron that is just the same as a athlon tbred.... for like half the price?

i want one!
!!! WARNING !!!
The following forums: www.bp6.com
are infected with the following VIRUS(s): Kuun.infected.all.posts.Win2K.user

The following IRC servers has been exploited: irc.bp6.com
with the Following Exploit: Kuun.lurks.using.mIRC.v5.82.exploit
Wolfram

Post by Wolfram »

kuun wrote:where can i find one of these applebred durons?

you can buy a abred duron that is just the same as a athlon tbred.... for like half the price?

i want one!
All 1,4/1,6/1,8 Ghz Durons are Applebreds, all 1,3 Ghz Durons are (old) Morgans.

The "Applebred" durons are Thoroughbreds with only 64kb L2-cache. You can re-activate the missing 192kb cache by closing one bridge. BUT... these cores come from the Thoroughbred production, and they MAY have defects on the deactivated 192kb. In the first article about this mod they said at least one of the Applebreds they tested crashed with 256kb activated.
Here they checked out what difference the larger cache makes. Bad set of benchmarks, if you ask me... <searching> Here are some more intersting results.

Remember: There is no guarantee for the cache to work. But the core should overclock like any thoroughbred (most reach 2 Ghz by now, some even more, like mine ;))