bp6 is trippin

Batch codes, RAM specs, BIOS settings, etc..
p3n1x

bp6 is trippin

Post by p3n1x »

well ive had my system for years now, never without a problem always running great...well i had retired it for awhile, and left it in its old case without power supply. so today i got a nice new case for it, all happy n such to set it back up again. so i get it all hooked up and ready to go, make sure all my connections are right and yea of course they are, so i get read yto plug it in...i plug it to the wall...it turns right on no power button pushed or nothing...which i know cant be good. it starts to turn on, but i get no display and about 5 to 7 seconds later it goes off...and wont come back on at all, i push power and reset, nothing...so i unplug the power cable, and plug it back into wall, and it does this again, comes on hd's spin fans spin i get on light on case, then about 7 seconds into it it powers off...and it repeats this cycle..i clear cmos, and power on then nothing...so i put the jumper back, and still same thing on and goes off...i unplug ever connection from board except power....and it will come on and go right off...i tried different power supply that was witht he bp6 originally, and it does this again. basicalluy im assuming its the board and im SOL...anybody got any idead, i mean what else can i really do...i tried removing the cpu booting with one cpu..same results, tried diff ram, same results....is my bp6 finally dead? :(
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

Did you try to run the BP6 with no case?
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
kuun
Post-O-Matic

Post by kuun »

how would that affect anything derek?
!!! WARNING !!!
The following forums: www.bp6.com
are infected with the following VIRUS(s): Kuun.infected.all.posts.Win2K.user

The following IRC servers has been exploited: irc.bp6.com
with the Following Exploit: Kuun.lurks.using.mIRC.v5.82.exploit
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

kuun wrote:how would that affect anything derek?
You're talking to hyperspace :screwy: :lol:
kuun
Post-O-Matic

Post by kuun »

oops

sorry

never post when your thinking of sending a private message to someone .....
!!! WARNING !!!

Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

kuun wrote:oops

sorry

never post when your thinking of sending a private message to someone .....
I received your message btw.
p3n1x

Post by p3n1x »

nope, never used it without a case
i would have the cover off often times tho
anyhow
i took another machine and put it in my new case...so im happy with that, still distraught over my bp6 :(
i took it out of the new case....ive got it sitting in a ESD bag inside another case waiting to be hooked back up....i believe it to be the board though, as the power supply works fine with the other board....
if it is my bp6 board gone bad.....what exactly could it be? im guessing mostly the power connection to the board or something...every time i plugged it into the wall it would just come on....about 7 seconds then off...and owuld not come back on untill i unplug it from wall and plug back in, it repeats process...one thing i did do b4 i put it into the other case, i used some compressed air to dust it off....im going to try and put it back in a different case with diff power supply later today....wish me luck..

another side note....ive seen some bp6 boards on e-bay...bla bla they say they wqork etc...well, yea...any suggestions.?
and yet again....would there be a place on this planet to purchase a bp6 still new, in box? (yes some concept)

thanx yall for responses :) makes me feel there is still life on this board/site, as ive been visiting here since late 1999 early 2000
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

Is JP1 (on the motherboard) jumped? If so, disable it and try again.
p3n1x

Post by p3n1x »

will check jp1 now

just to let yall know also, it had worked splendid for years on end...i had trouble with one case cuz the connectors sucked, but thats done and gone..only thing i had left it sitting maybe a month or so....never turned on or nothing, and now its not working....it was in fully working state before i tried to hook it back up...but i will check jp1 now, and im goin to put the board in a different case now and see how it goes...will check jp1 thanx for that bit o info :)
kuun
Post-O-Matic

Post by kuun »

p3n1x

if nothing else works

you may have bad caps (i know you've probably read alot about bad caps)

i've got a bp6 i got with bad caps and im going to send it to abit (i think) and have them fix it (i hope)

but mine, my chipset gets REALLY hot, won't go past the win2K splash screen

it has 15 noticable leaking caps, god only knows how many more are bad

anyhow if nothing else works thats your lsat resort
!!! WARNING !!!

p3n1x

Post by p3n1x »

ITS ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!
IT LIVES!!
well sorta
THAX for the tip about jp1...i switched it
i put it in my old case...got all the connections hooked up the way i want....time came for the big test, i put power to the wall...it didnt automatically turn on...so i flip back switch to on...still doesnt come on(mind u this is good) so i push power button...it comes on...and stays on...of course i dont know how well it is, since i need to hook up the monitor and the keyboard and mouse....the other pc is using them now...so when i get a chance im goin to unhook the other pc and give my bp6 the monitor and keyboard, and possibly put a hard drive in there...theres only cdrom and floppy now.....
im so excited and happy now!!! my bp6 is back...w00t w00t...what would i have done without the support of yall....thanx again bp6 community!

later i will update status of machine...wishing for the best....now this hedache outta the way, time to puff a fat spliff!
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

p3n1x wrote:ITS ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!
IT LIVES!!
well sorta
THAX for the tip about jp1...i switched it
i put it in my old case...got all the connections hooked up the way i want....time came for the big test, i put power to the wall...it didnt automatically turn on...so i flip back switch to on...still doesnt come on(mind u this is good) so i push power button...it comes on...and stays on...of course i dont know how well it is, since i need to hook up the monitor and the keyboard and mouse....the other pc is using them now...so when i get a chance im goin to unhook the other pc and give my bp6 the monitor and keyboard, and possibly put a hard drive in there...theres only cdrom and floppy now.....
im so excited and happy now!!! my bp6 is back...w00t w00t...what would i have done without the support of yall....thanx again bp6 community!

later i will update status of machine...wishing for the best....now this hedache outta the way, time to puff a fat spliff!
Awesome 8)
p3n1x

Post by p3n1x »

ok, and its dead again

so heres the problem as ive had it happen before and this is it again.

all the conectors the for case, power switch, power led, hdd led, reset switch and those...when they are plugged into the board. if they are not tight or at a certain position and snug then it loses contact and will go on and off , ive got it to post and got into bois and all, its those damn connectors. ..what ive used is a zip tie lock on it and have them snug..still another pain in the arse
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

p3n1x wrote:ok, and its dead again

so heres the problem as ive had it happen before and this is it again.

all the conectors the for case, power switch, power led, hdd led, reset switch and those...when they are plugged into the board. if they are not tight or at a certain position and snug then it loses contact and will go on and off , ive got it to post and got into bois and all, its those damn connectors. ..what ive used is a zip tie lock on it and have them snug..still another pain in the arse
That's a problem with the power supply and case connectors though?
p3n1x

Post by p3n1x »

its a propblem with some part of t....it just takes a bump to the case to get it to turn itself on...adn it will stay on osmetimes and go off with a nudge or anything....its like something isnt making contact...this blows
i want me bp6 back :(

i figure ill snag one somewhere now.

thanx for yalls help
p3n1x

Post by p3n1x »

would a GigaByte GA-6VTXD Mainboard
be a suitable replacement? it says dual celrons, and specifications seem nice enough, anyboyd know anything about these boards?
http://www.epinions.com/Gigabyte_GA_6VT ... full_specs

any knowledge of overclocking abilities....i will be checking for more now.
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

Heck, if you're looking for something to replace it, just buy a vp6.

You could also look into the dual AMD line of things.
-Derek
kuun
Post-O-Matic

Post by kuun »

hey

i've had the same problem with the connectors

wanna know how i solved it?

i stuck an empty light (the disposable kind) in behind the metal brace th motherbaord it held to

works like a charm
!!! WARNING !!!

p3n1x

Post by p3n1x »

a disposable light.....like a lightbulb....either its too early or im not following u...

see the problem is, something is loose or not making contact properly, and the pc will automatically turn on, and then go off, othetr times it will come on with push of button, stay on, then a slightr nudge to the case and it will flip off right away.....and im not sure which connection isnt good, because it keeps doing that.....even if the only thing plugged into the board is the power supply cable, and nothing else..it will do that...
grrrr as it is now, im looking into buying a new board, and perhaps swapping over the processors, or gettin 3 new boards, a new dual system, and a board for each of my celrons i have left over from my bp6...i think its time to retire it anyhow...but im not giving up yet, ill tinker with it some more....but its that damn board, and heh, its already broken anyhow....one of the fan plugs by cpu2 doesnt work anymore, but its been like that for a bit...
kuun
Post-O-Matic

Post by kuun »

ROFLMAO

that was a good day maker

i meant lighter (cigarette lighter)

btw

if you know how to use a soldering iron

that will 10/10.1 times fix all "nudging" problems
!!! WARNING !!!

p3n1x

Post by p3n1x »

ok like a bic lighter or something....shouldnt get it too hot should it?
and empty...tsk tsk i always toss em, well guess ill have to use one up.

so where shoudl i nudge it underneath...by the connectors to the case im assuming?...or where the power supply plugs into the motherboard?

im up for any other suggestions, but i had this same problem with this board before in another case i had, where if the connectors to the board from the case werent snug it would go off and on...so blah, its the board, damn thing....i will try to get this up and workikng, but i have also found a board i will try ti get up and running
Gigabyte Socket 370 GA-6VTXD ATX Motherboard - VIA Apollo Pro133T Chipset and i plan on putting 2 celron 1.1a in there....those will do SMP right?

hit me back with a response, much thanks in advance
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

If you get it working once, and never move the case again, should it continue to work? :) I don't move my PCs around too often (only to dust them), and once they're in the right place they stay there.
-Derek
p3n1x

Post by p3n1x »

no
sometimes it will just randomly go off without a touch or bump.....its completly random im afraid...its just this damn board....most likely toss it and get that gigabyte board
kuun
Post-O-Matic

Post by kuun »

ok,

one DO NOT TOSS the board, i will gladly pay shipping to take it off your hands

you know the metal slab that has all those annoying plastic thingies? the ones you got to have a pair of pliars to take off? ok that metal slab screws into the frame of the case

i stuck the lighter between that slab and the metal frame

here's a rough diagram
front side (where the cpu's plug in) of the MB
============== <--MB
---|-----|--------|--------- <metal slab with those annoying plastic thingies
_____( L )_________ <--- frame

the space between metal slab and frame (you can only stick it in the top bottom or side (i suggest bottom thats where mine is)

i had to play with it a bit and it's quite snug, once i got it where it needed to be i could put the sides on and move it all day long

i think i've had to fiddle with it maybe once since and thats been 5 months, and this baby has been on a few road trips (went house sitting with DSL HAD to have my computer sucking all available bandwidth at all times)

any questions? just ask :)
!!! WARNING !!!

p3n1x

Post by p3n1x »

kuun

you are a god among men

thanx so much for the trick
i wedged it up underneath were the case connects to the board...hdd led power led reset and power switch, and its working, it doesnt automatically come on, it turns off and on with push of a button now...
thanx so much for your insight and as i like to call it ghetto trixx :)

a big fat bongrip to kuun
thanx man!