No Temp Readouts in BIOS

Batch codes, RAM specs, BIOS settings, etc..
genseng

No Temp Readouts in BIOS

Post by genseng »

I picked up a BP6 from ebay. Anyway, I have it in a new case and I've installed 128 MB memory, creative banshee video card, 2x366 celerons, keyboard and floppy so i could do some basic configuration before installing the rest of the components. Anyway, sometimes 2 processors are available, sometimes only one. The other pecularity is that there is no temp information in the bios? I've flashed the bios sucessfully a couple times with different RU variants (it was LP or something when i got it). Still nothing. I've tried the reseting the CMOS (it needs to be unplugged right?), still no dice. The other thingis that the video card memory got really hot. I was given this card for free from a friend so I don't know what it would normally be like but it didn't seem right. I tried my other agp card (tnt2 diamond V770 yeah, it's getting old too) but still no change. I'm thinking about trying a pci video card but that would mean I'd have to buy one.

Sticker on the isa slot says it's a version 1.0 board and the other BP6 I've been running 3.5 years is also a 1.0 and it has temp information and no problems. I've looked for bad caps but I can't tell. They all seem ok but maybe it's just the light. The E10 is obviously the wrong capacitor but my other board is the same way. Anyone have thoughts on this. I'm pretty sure someone will say bad caps but I'm looking for other things to try at this point. I have a lot of experience with quirks in my main BP6 board but I've never had problems like these.

And another question, if I do need to purchase capacitors, is there a good place to buy them in canada?

~pAul.
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

Try this method when you flash:

After the flash update is completed, power off your computer (I turn the power off on the power supply and unplug the power cord), then discharge the CMOS with the mainboard jumper CCMOS, Power the computer back on.

Look for inductance coils that are dis-coloured (they look like they have been getting hot).

Bad capacitors will be bulging or dis-coloured (dark greyish colour) or oozing electrolyte. You could observe two or all three of the symptons.

Have you tried booting up the BP6 with only one stick of memory, one processor, hard drive on the standard IDE controller, video card and nothing else?
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
genseng

Post by genseng »

hyperspace wrote:Try this method when you flash:

After the flash update is completed, power off your computer (I turn the power off on the power supply and unplug the power cord), then discharge the CMOS with the mainboard jumper CCMOS, Power the computer back on.
Not sure if I did this exactly. I'll try again.
Look for inductance coils that are dis-coloured (they look like they have been getting hot).
I had checked these already but forgot to mention. All look copper coloured to me.
Bad capacitors will be bulging or dis-coloured (dark greyish colour) or oozing electrolyte. You could observe two or all three of the symptons.
I may have to take the board out of the case and have a closer look. I didn't noticed anything in my initial inspection. I wasn't aware the capacitors were a problem in BP6 boards. Is that just a function of age?
Have you tried booting up the BP6 with only one stick of memory, one processor, hard drive on the standard IDE controller, video card and nothing else?
No but I've done 1 stick, 1 processor and a floppy drive to boot into dos. That seems to work fine. Is there a particular slot that should be used for single processor operation?

Sometimes with two processors in there is beeping. Anyone no where I can find out what the alarm codes mean. Maybe i should check the manual?

Thanks for your help. I'll post again when I try out the rest of the stuff.

~pAul.
nilnet

Post by nilnet »

Hi, I have exactly the same problem. I bought my (also V1.0) bp6 last summer and after 3 weeks, I noticed that the bios presentation area where temps and voltages are available would sometimes show as N/A.
This didn't last long, after a couple more days these panel areas disappeared altogether. I believe that the winbond chip is bad, or ?? it's close to a flex area around the sockets so if your head sink springs are a little heavy duty, you should remove your board when installing...
If bios cannot detect the winbond chip, i believe the code won't generate the presentation area (benefits of modular bios). Still inconclusive without probing, but I can't say I care today. I got good heatsinks so temps should be fine...and from what I've read, v1.0 is a little more stable. I've had no regrets, stability is fine (primary OS is RH7.3) as I've had what I consider a few good uptimes > 10 days...till I start tinkering. My clocks are stock today, since I'm using the HPT366 w/ linux (it seems to like it) but xp hates the hpt. You might attempt the MOBO monitor to also try to read the chip. Another post in the old forum, had some success with it.
nilnet

smp on a budget
BP6/C400/SMP/320M/Voodoo3/Slackware10.1/XP//OS2/Knoppix
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

Maybe the winbond chip is going bad?

Just a thought.
-Derek
genseng

Post by genseng »

i tried all of the suggested options above.

i did get the system to boot into windows (XP) using the hard drive from my main bp6 system. Unfortunately windows only ran in single processor mode (i checked this using the task manager). however, the good news is that motherboard monitor did report some temperature read outs so that's promising.

i think my next step is going to be running memtest86. i occaisionally get some beep codes from the system. The beeps don't really follow any pattern and another post suggested this meant possible memory problems.

from there i'm going to replace all of the electrolytic capacitors as the last resort. i'm in the middle of finals now so it'll probably be next month before i get to it, but i'm wondering if there is a list compiled somewhere of the capacitor sizes found on this board so i know how many i should order. i guess i could always count myself but a tried and true list would be better.
genseng

Fixed!!

Post by genseng »

I finally got the thing fixed!

Replaced all of the capacitors (well 24 of them - 12 1500uF and 12 1000uF). I let the EC10 capacitor be since it's a rev 1.1 board and that's what I have on my 'stable' board and it's a 1.1. Thinking about replacing all of the capacitors on my old board too.
nilnet

Post by nilnet »

Glad to hear things are better. Do you get your voltages back on the bios panel??
I just replaced EC10 (100uF) with 1000 uF/6.3 and hasn't fixed my bios voltages...but my mouse works again.
nilnet

smp on a budget
genseng

Post by genseng »

No, the temperature/voltage readouts are still not visible in the bios. I tried a number of different bios' with no luck. It is sort of puzzling. Motherboard Monitor still reports the termperatures and voltages though I am not sure how accurately it is doing this. I put this system together for my girlfriend and it has been running stable (no hard crashes) since May =)
nilnet

Post by nilnet »

Thanks, I was grasping for some hope re voltages.
If its any consolation, I have similar story that goes back to the old bp6 forum. (bios voltages ). Mine also is a rev 1.0 Mostly stable for the last 18 months, until I tinker with the clocks. I've had bios voltages only for about the first week of ownership and fly blind since. I've noticed a deterioration in ability to maintain stability with lesser OC clock speeds that a year ago. Use to run my 400's @ 600, 2.1v for up to two weeks uptime befiore occasion APIC err's and misc prog errors which I used to attribute to appl mix immaturity...Just before replacing ec10 (late last night) I had trouble holding most of the /2 clocks and would quickly flow APIC err's on the /3 clocks. I'll see if EC10 has improved clock flexibility over the next days.
nilnet

smp on a budget