RRLeadford, Help! PIII mod foul-up or maybe not complete?

Batch codes, RAM specs, BIOS settings, etc..
jaybird

RRLeadford, Help! PIII mod foul-up or maybe not complete?

Post by jaybird »

This is my second BP6 modded board. However, the first one went much better than this one!

On the first board I modded the NEO's(100mhz PIII 850's), added the 2 wires to the sockets on the back side of the board., changed the EC10 cap and away we went(no voltage regulator mod)!

Not so good on this one. Modded the NEO's(PIII 1100's, 100 mhz fsb), added wiring to backside of sockets, changed EC10 and tried to boot with just the vid card, one memory stick, floppy, CD-ROM drive and 1 hard drive on the IDE controller.

Got to first screen and it said PIII 700mhz and did't even go into memory check, it froze or goes into reboot. On reboot I hit "del" as fast as I could and did see the setup screen but it froze at that point.

I then took out the first cpu and left the one closest to the memory sockets in place, rebooted, was notified PIII, 700mhz, 128 meg ram, 1 cpu, "cpu unworkable", went into setup, changed settings and it seems to run fine on one cpu only, just as it did before the attempt to go dual.

My question is, has anyone else run into this and if so how did you fix it?

DO I NEED TO DO THE VOLTAGE REGULATOR MOD to fix this?

Where can I find the correct regulator and how many watt soldering iron should I be using? My 15 and 25 watt units don't seem to do the trick, what have you all been using?

I REALLY need to get this fixed ASAP!, please advise(anyone!)

PS, my soldering is not the best, wonder if I screwed something up?

Regards,

jaybird
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

jaybird, I have not yet attempted to do the dual P-III mod for my (3) BP6 systems with P-III/1100E - they are all single CPU so far.
In fact one of my systems developed the buldging cap problem & ceased to boot up any more at all.

The reason I have not attempted it is because all (3) BP6 systems refused to boot unless the P-III was in only one of the two sockets. Each BP6 had one socket that would not boot the SINGLE CPU P-III/1100E. This made me think that, unless I did the full caps & regulator replacement, and got the board to be able to boot the P-III/1100E from either socket first, the Dual P-III scheme was never going to fly at all.

I have not yet done the Caps/regulator mod - but I now have a dead board to work on if I'm ambitious. I replaced the dead BP6 with an ACORP Dual P3 board ($40 on EBAY new). It has FCPGA sockets & supports FSB OC speeds to 150MHz and beyond, not to mention Promise RAID lite. I'm shopping for Dual P-III/1.266GHZ/512K Tualatin CPUs right now. I've ordered the new $13 FCPGA-to-FCPGA2 adapters from compgeeks.com.
In about a week I'll be testing whether one of my two remaining BP6 systems will boot the Tualatin CPU with the new adapter on top of the NEO370 (before I set up the ACORP Dual P3). If things go well with the ACORP, I may just bail out on the dead BP6 & give it to someone like you to keep up your efforts at taking the BP6 to the limit.
jaybird

PIII no-boot in second socket

Post by jaybird »

The information I have from Abit suggests that this condition (boot only from one socket) is normal!

I'll see if I can find it and forward it to you.

Good luck!

jaybird
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

How so normal? When I had (3) BB6 systems all running on P-III/1100E, Each system would only boot the P-III from one of their two cockets -AND IT WAS NOT THE SAME SOCKET.
Two only booted on the 2ND socket & one booted from the 1ST socket.

My conclusion was that the scoket circuitry was doing a better job for one socket relative to the other, and the P-III/1100E was a lot fussier than the celerons or slower P-IIIs about what it would take to boot.

With a typical BP6, perhaps only one socket makes the cut.
If you're lucky, maybe both sockets make the cut.
Unlucky, neither of your sockets work.

This is also consistent with the fact that some BP6 boards can OC better than others, even using the same CPUs. Whichever of your sockets is the weakest, it will tirgger the crashing at some lower speed than what the CPU may really be capable of doing. When it comes ti the P-III/1100E, the issue becomes not what you can OC to, but just whether a socket will boot at all.