Error loading operating system -win2000

RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

What BP6 BIOS version? Hope you are not using the integrated HPT366 controller. Do you have the W2K driver for the HPT366 that matches your BIOS on a floppy disk - to be integrated with the W2K kernel build?
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

cyb wrote:Thank for the help everyone, apparently I got the NJ bios.
:shock: Flash to RU!! Quick! Quick! :) A lot of bugs were fixed in that revision.
g0fvt

Post by g0fvt »

I had a similar thing with my BP6 after a rebuild (capacitor failure) mine would load loads of flavours of Linux ok and ran them happily, absolutely refused to install XP Pro, NT 4 or 2000.... I have run all these OSes on the machine before so it was a bit puzzling. I pulled all the cards out and generally did all the logical things, the good news I resolved it in the end.

It seems I had not fitted the memory in the same order as when I took it out, the original sequence was 128 pc100, 128 pc100, 256 pc133.... it seems that I put it back in a different order.

Someone who knows how Windows uses memory may be able to understand how the machine could see all the memory but fail to fully load the operating system (Windows) but could be installed with Redhat Linux, Linux Mandrake or Openbsd without problems...

Typically Windows would try to boot from the hard-drive after install and not find NTLDR etc. With the memory back in the "correct" order it is a happy BP again...... I don't know whether you have tried shuffling the memory in yours but it is worth a try... good luck!
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

But don't forget to flash RU! :)