Upgrading

harker

Upgrading

Post by harker »

I have been very happy with my BP6 dual cele 400's 512 ram. But with the new games it is time to upgrade.

I want to spend as little as possible, who doesn't. I have been looking at the Asus P4B 400mhz FSB as I would be able to utilize my existing ram.

My questions are, will the latest socket 478 cele work on this board, and is there a significant diff between this and a P4 at 2.0?

If I do the P4 is it dramatically drug down by the slower ram?

$200 gets the mb ant cele vs. 300 for the mb and a P4, is the performance diff worth a $100?

Is it worth another $80 over the $100 to just get a P4B 533 and new pc2700 ram?
Todd C Harker
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

Holy Roman Empire wrote:Will SDRAM drag you down? yes. Will a celery cripple your gaming performance? yes. I say spend the extra 180 and get the DDR and pentium4. Celerons really are terrible at gaming. The SDRAM does totally criplle the bandwidth of the pentium4.
I second Empire's suggestions.
harker

Post by harker »

thanks...you guys just helped me spend more money. Like I said money is a concern but I did the BP6 to save money and did and it has been a great board for 4 years. But 400 mhz vs 2 ghz is a big diff and for 180 bucks I imagine I will go longer before my next upgrade if I do the P4 and new Ram. I really was mainly concerned about whether my SDRAM was that much slower than DDR and your comments have cleared that up. :D

Thanks

PS
I will continue to keep BP6.com as my home page. This site rocks for learning and tinkering with this stuff
Todd C Harker