Tilting CPU fans

kuun
Post-O-Matic

Post by kuun »

you know,

i've never understood why people go crazy over fan noises,

i have about, 4 4cm fans and 2 stock CPU fans that came with my BP6

plus, on my desk, i have another system with an ld 230W at power supply and another 4cm exhaust fan running, and then again i added a 3cm fan to my hub that i can notice if i cut the thing off,

anyhow

with all my fans running it doesnt drive me crazy, actually i never notice them, i guess after so long they actually sooth my tensions and such

anyhow

how do you adjsut the fan voltage on the bp6? i've never heard of adjusting fan volts, it's, weird imho,

Kuun
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

kuun,

The four wires of a P/S drive/fan/floppy connector offer voltages of +12V, +5V, & GND. By connecting the + of a DC fan to +12 & the - to +5, the effective voltage across the fan drops down to +7. This can be good if your fan can spin up 100% OK from stopped with only 7V applied (most do - some don't). However, I would not advise this for CPU cooling unless there is some alarm & shutdown scheme in place in case CPU fan stops or goes too slow.
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

You can also adjust the fan speed through software. A few people made software specifically for the BP6; I'll put it up this week for you.
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

Can you take some pictures and post them?
Last edited by Derek on Sat Dec 14, 2002 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

Before we get too carried away with this good concept, let's think about the idea that maybe the HEATSINK has something to do whith the overall cooling results. If you use a premium HSF like the EverCool 715/725, the 5mm thick copper plate, to which the fins of the sink are attached, does a good deal of spreading out the concentration of heat from the CPU. So do the central fins, as the heat travels up them. By the time the heat travels to the top of the the fins, there should not be that much of a temp differential between central & outer fin location.

Maybe the the overall flow thru the entire set of fins is just as important as getting a concentrated flow down the center zone. The emphasis on what cools the zone closest to the CPU best should be focussed more on spreading it away rapidly with conduction, and less on getting concentrated convection into this zone. Obviously, some combination of the two will likely be the best. However, I say that if the heatsink is a premium copper or silver design, the extra airflow directed at the sweet spot, by tilting the fan could actually lower effective cooling, because of the lower overall airflow thru all the fins together (raised side misses the fins).
Slagathor

Post by Slagathor »

kuun wrote:you know,

i've never understood why people go crazy over fan noises,
Kuun

I agree, the fans help me sleep, If I dont hear the fans the silencr is deafining, since I moved the PC's out of the bedrrom I have to have a
fan running even if it is cold, so I can sleep :lol: :lol: :lol:
DFI 790FX-M2R
AMD Phenom 9850BE
2x2gb Mushkin Redline@1066 5-5-5-16
2x 250GB WD 16mb SATA Raid 0
eVGA 8800GTS SC
Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty
kuun
Post-O-Matic

Post by kuun »

slagathor, im exactly like that

and now, for my trial of this "fan tilting"

result = failure

i tilted both fan about 1/2 and inch on one attempt and 3/4 an inch on a second,

both left my cpu's running EXTREMELY hot 122F both

and that was at 562 MHZ, even now at 600MHZ they run 111-114 at times

so my attempt was a complete failure and caused me to have to swap out my cpu's ( i have 4 500 mhz celerons) just to make myself feel safe

if anyone has any sucess let me know

Kuun
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

If you want COOL CPUs without any "tricks" - you can't beat the $16 EverCool 715 copper HSF w/70mm fan!!! www.nexfan.com
Your CPUs will stay below 90F. degrees & the noise level is low - good.
With (3) BP6 systems, I've accumulated two drawers full of loud, weak, & generally inadequate HSFs - all removed in favor of the EverCools.
Cylindrical Aluminum ones look cool - but they aren't that good & fit badly.
There are plenty of other pricey HSF options - but , I doubt any will do a significantly better job of cooling than the EverCools - which fit perfectly.
BCN

Post by BCN »

I agree with RRLedford. copper is the best and evercool CUD725 also fits col on BP6 :) I have them running at 30-35C (depends on cleaninness or air dust filters of case intake fans) with 20C air temperature outside 8)

And I do not use arctic silver yet...
Dual C366@550MHz 1.90V :) (History)
yet single PIII-S 512Kb L2 cache at 1400MHz@700MHz
BP6 (not modded yet)
256MB PC133 C2
GF4Ti4200-8x
Maxtor 2x60Gb - all on promise ATA133
Lite-On LTR 40125S@48125W!!!
Plus P4 system
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

No mod, it fits perfect. The clip was extended using the large paperclip wire wrapped thru the clip end trick, to give a loop extension shapped to engage the socket 370 plastic protrusion (with a Neo370 adapter)
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

Topic moved to "Tips and Tricks" forum.
-Derek
kuun
Post-O-Matic

Post by kuun »

hmm

im gonna look into those coolers

BTW on my second BP6 with 16 blown caps.. my chipset gets REALLY hot 156F at usage in the bios... that can't be a good thing

gonna have someone do all the capacitor replacing for me

Kuun
!!! WARNING !!!
The following forums: www.bp6.com
are infected with the following VIRUS(s): Kuun.infected.all.posts.Win2K.user

The following IRC servers has been exploited: irc.bp6.com
with the Following Exploit: Kuun.lurks.using.mIRC.v5.82.exploit
Dave Rave
G'Day Mate!

Post by Dave Rave »

the 725's look like my 'huge' coolers, though mine must be a different (chinese) brand, as mine have the three wide clips for better holding on.
remember , they're heavy, don't go moving your case heavy-handed.

still want a pic of my coolers. wish I could find the box they came in
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

The 725's have the better wide clip I believe.
With the weight, the wide clip is important, as the pull on the socket proturson can easily shear it off with only the single grip point.
Zero point energy