building new system on abit bp6

vgoraz

building new system on abit bp6

Post by vgoraz »

Ok well my school has an installfest where we went and install linux onto peoples computers. Since i was one of those that helped out, i got to pick any parts out of a box i wanted and well i found a bp6 motherboard in the box and instantly took it. I want to build a really good cheap computer from this now.
Using ebay i am trying to buy some parts for this, but before i buy any more i was wondering if you have any suggestions. I got 512 mb of pc133 ram (micron chips) for $50 and i assume it will work in my as it should drop down to pc66 by itself (and also allow extra room for better ram timings and such). I have also bought a 40gb ibm deskstar 60gxp. I am trying to get a pair of celeron 366s for $5 each. I will need some heatsinks though and am open for suggestions from any of you. Any other suggestions on things i should get or look into (like a promise controller) are also welcome.
jaybird

RAM requirements for BP6

Post by jaybird »

If this is 512 on one stick you are out of luck BP6 will only work with a
max of 256 per slot or a total of 768 meg of ram per ABIT.
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Post by InactiveX »

Cor! A free BP6! Lucky you.

Check your board for the EC10 problem. Details here:

http://bp6.gamesquad.net/Q6fix.phtml
vgoraz

Post by vgoraz »

alright yeah thanks. i am trying to not spend to much money so yeah i will stick to old school celeron 366s. also i got the memory as 2 256mb sticks as yeah i quickly looked a bit up on the board and found it cant get higher than 768. i am looking into a antec case with 300 watt power supply as we speak and looking around for more cheap parts
vgoraz

Post by vgoraz »

anyone hear of raidmax. I found a raidmax 400 watt (all black :D ) power supply for $50 shipped. It is quite a good price and its all black and has three colored leds on its fan which makes it look even cooler. anyways yeah is this a good power supply or should i stick to the antec