sick and tired of the problems with my bp6

RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

Yes we often suffer greatly in our love-hate BP6 relationships!
I jumpped from W98 to W-XP & avoided many of your USB issues.
What Power supply wattage & CPU type/speed are you running?
Snugglebear

Post by Snugglebear »

Don't change the MPS version on windows, it doesn't like that at all. Either change it back or reinstall.

Outside of that, never had any USB issues with mine. Did have some power issues, but those were solved with EC10 surgery. The HPT controller is crap, learned that early, so I only used the regular IDE chains on that box. Later just threw a SCSI subsystem in it and all the problems went away. The thing is solid with two p3-850s in it now and I've never been happier.
PDR60

Post by PDR60 »

I bought the BP6 when it was first released. And It ran great for a long time. Then it started having read/write failures and problems booting. I thought; Well sh&% there goes a hard drive. I ordered a new hd and tried a fresh install. After about 4-5 failures in an evening and never completing a win2k install I pronounced the BP6/IDE controller DOA. I left it sit for about a 2 weeks as I was busy with work. I was straightening up my stuff and found an old Adaptec 2940uw controller. Not the best but, good enough. I got on ebay and found some 9 gig Baracudas and figured what the heck for $20 per drive I'll try.

Its been running as a Win2k web server ever since. Hasn't missed a beat. It is actually pretty qick too. I doesn't get alot of traffic but hey --- it does the job well.

So you may want to switch to scsi.

ps I'm running a 250w PS and an old velocity 4400 vid card