USB 2.0 speed troubles.

Jordan

USB 2.0 speed troubles.

Post by Jordan »

I have an ALI USB 2.0 PCI card & Curtis MP3 Player which aren't running up to speed.
Transferring files to and from the USB 2.0 MP3 player I calculated USB 1.1 speeds exactly. Does anyone know why it's running so slow?
It should be noted that both the card + MP3 player are low end brand names. I haven't done much for testing the devices in other PC's but since both are labelled USB 2.0 it shouldn't make a difference...
Or do my crappy products just say USB 2.0 because they will work on 2.0 ports but won't run at the 2.0 speeds?

I intend to do some testing with other USB 2.0 devices & other PCs for sure.
I fear that the problem is indeed just a crappy MP3 player... :cry:
Any thoughts?

PS. sorry for the semi-rant, but it's really bugging me, especially when the thing takes 10 minutes to copy files when it should theoretcially take less than one. :x
The collector of the old and unwanted.
Dave Rave
G'Day Mate!

Post by Dave Rave »

check the crappy MP3 player, and see if it is compliant or actually.

check your computer system USB devices, and see if you have USB 1 ports or a USB 2 port
further, is the USB 2 an overlay for all the USB 1 ports or does it apply to one of the USB ports.
I've never asked or experimented....
but until the Win2k sp4? went in and it would work USB 2, you had a yellow question mark on the USB2 device but still had USB1 ports working ...

is the cable crappy ?
oh, do you have the USB2 port driver loaded ? device manager!!!!
bp6's 3 x dual @ 533
. . . . 1 x dual @ 466
. . . . 1 sngl @ 400
[( 2 x dual xeon 2.4ghz )]
[( 2 x dual xeon 2.66ghz )]
[( 1 x 2.4C ghz )]
[( 1 x 2.4B ghz )]
[( 1 x dual AMD 1800MP )]
[( 1 x P4 1600 )]
[( 1 x 500 ppga )]
3 x piii 866
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

It looks like the player is for sure 1.1, because after looking through all the documentation there is no mention of USB speeds at all. Which is odd because the item listing on Futureshop.ca (where i got it) claims 2.0 transfer rate...
As for the computer's ports, I have the two built into the BP6 (1.1) and an ALI 5 port 2.0 card.

Device manager is kind of odd; the picture attached is what it looks like.
Because of the seperate entries I think it is an overlay driver, which is loaded.
The player is one of those with the USB plug right on the device, so cables aren't the issue.

This is a mystery. I'll just have to be absolutely certain of transfer rates when I come to get another one.
Thanks for the troubleshooting help!
KliK

Post by KliK »

well i also have ALI PCI USB2.0 4+1 adapter...it's a pretty good adapter, and works fine on BP6 (no IRQ problems, like some others!!)... :D :D

in mine Device Manager it also is scripted like that...an overlay device, which works fine...
with mine 512MB USB FLASH it sees USB2.0 and work great...so it must be your MP3 device...

also, when device connected to USB is faster than your port, than a comic says that the device can perform faster...so when you get USB2.0 device to test that, just plug it in BP6 USB1.1 and you will see the difference!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

i hope it helped you!!
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

That's great! Now I really want to test out those speeds!
Still too bad about my MP3 player...
Thanks everyone!