No USB functionality

podge69

No USB functionality

Post by podge69 »

I have a BP6 with dual Celeron 433's running Windows XP Pro (with SP2). Somehow, I have completely lost the functionality of both USP ports even though I've updated all USB drivers.

I tried to solve the problem by fitting a PCI USB card - in fact, I tried with 2 different cards. In both cases, the drivers loaded and Device Manager indicated that all devices were working properly and showed nothing that needed attention.

When I attempt to connect to a USB port (either one of the motherboard ports or on the PCI card), the system freezes and I have to reboot. Sometimes (but usually not). there is a message that the device canot be identified.

Any ideas?
purrkur
Linux Guru

Post by purrkur »

Use Knoppix to boot it into Linux to see if Linux reports the USB devices correctly or not when you hook them up.
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd
Debian Linux stable with 2.4.8 kernel
s4brains

Post by s4brains »

What manner of device is it that you are attempting to connect to the USB port when the system locks up? I have experienced a similar problem if I attempt to connect a USB wireless networking adapter to my PCI USB 2.0 adapter card ports while at the same time using a Hollywood Plus MPEG decoder board. To date, my only solution has been to connect the wireless networking adapter to one of the onboard USB 1.1 ports. This curtails the transfer speed of the adapter from 54 Mbps to 11 Mbps but it prevents a system lock-up.

Regards,

s4
podge69

Post by podge69 »

s4brains wrote:What manner of device is it that you are attempting to connect to the USB port when the system locks up? I have experienced a similar problem if I attempt to connect a USB wireless networking adapter to my PCI USB 2.0 adapter card ports while at the same time using a Hollywood Plus MPEG decoder board. To date, my only solution has been to connect the wireless networking adapter to one of the onboard USB 1.1 ports. This curtails the transfer speed of the adapter from 54 Mbps to 11 Mbps but it prevents a system lock-up.

Regards,

s4
The system locks when I attemot to connect any USB device to either an on-board port or a PCI card port.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

How long has your PC been on before you plug them in?

For me, i frequently lose control of all my USB devices, both onboard and on my PCI USB 2.0 card.

I'm heavily overclocked causing my chipset to overheat occasionally. When it does, instead of freezing or crashing, it just kills the USB.

It doesn't crash when I plug in devices and it's overheated, but maybe you should check your temperatures.

Also check your PCI/PNP configuration in the bios and device manager. You might have some conflict windows isn't making obvious. Then maybe try disabling ACPI.

Good luck!
The collector of the old and unwanted.