BP6 as a website server?

Tim_K

BP6 as a website server?

Post by Tim_K »

Anyone running a BP6 to host a website? Or more than 1 website?

Post your details here, as in what operating system, CPUs, memory, video card, hard drives, special server software, etc, that you are using. I'm doing nothing fancy, just a simple website to host something on the BP6, just something to see if I can make a BP6 do that particular job.
See "Online Video" the internets comedy / opinion webshow, at www.loudmouthtim.com !
purrkur
Linux Guru

Post by purrkur »

Hey Tim,

I have used my BP6 to host a copy of my website and some additional web-based services. Works just fine. Linux as OS (of course) with Apache/Mysql combination. Just a regular setup of the BP6 would do just fine with at least 256 megs of memory (if you want to tweak your apps) - 512 megs recommended. I used an 80GB disk and a Geforce2 MX video adapter (although the graphics adapter is absolutely unnecessary for this if you are running linux).

My webserver is a K6-2 500MHz machine with a 40GB disk and an 8139 NIC. Graphics adapter is an old Matrox PCI card which doesn't really matter since the machine is headless. I have an intranet machine up and running as well, a 533MHz Celeron machine with 80GB disk and same NIC. Both machines have only 256 megs of memory. The latter runs as a file server as well. Both machines have no problems dealing with their work and there are plenty of resources left if I wanted to add something new. The Celeron machine is running Apache/Mysql/Postfix/SSH/Samba/NFS and only about 85 megs of memory is being used for apps out of 256. No graphical stuff is being used at all.

That considered, I would say that the BP6 would do just fine as a webserver. Running a dual CPU along with version 2 of Apache would be sweet.
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd
Debian Linux stable with 2.4.8 kernel
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

Yes, the BP6 should rock as a WEB server. My Fedora Core 2 WEB server is running Apache 2.0.51, MySQL and vsftp. The server is a dual 200 Mhz PentiumPro with 256 MB of RAM. A 4 GB SCSI HD controlled by an Adaptec 2940U2 and a 10 GB ATA66 HD controlled by a Promise Ultra66. It serves up my WEB site (www.syngrav.com) and "virtually" serves up my daughter's WEB site (www.blackmarketlincoln.com). My ADSL upload speed is only 384K, so the sites load a little slow.
Last edited by hyperspace on Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

Yes, the BP6 is great for server applications.
-Derek
kuun
Post-O-Matic

Post by kuun »

is bp6.com run by a bp6??? oh the irony...
!!! WARNING !!!
The following forums: www.bp6.com
are infected with the following VIRUS(s): Kuun.infected.all.posts.Win2K.user

The following IRC servers has been exploited: irc.bp6.com
with the Following Exploit: Kuun.lurks.using.mIRC.v5.82.exploit
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

kuun wrote:is bp6.com run by a bp6??? oh the irony...
I wish!
-Derek
kuun
Post-O-Matic

Post by kuun »

why isn't it?!
!!! WARNING !!!
The following forums: www.bp6.com
are infected with the following VIRUS(s): Kuun.infected.all.posts.Win2K.user

The following IRC servers has been exploited: irc.bp6.com
with the Following Exploit: Kuun.lurks.using.mIRC.v5.82.exploit
g0fvt

Post by g0fvt »

I have a webserver on a BP6, running at 75Mhz FSB with a pair of 466s, OpenBsd... Apache webserver and Samba, also runs a dns and a client for dyndns.

Boot from a smallish drive and data on a pair of 250Gb drives on the highpoint, found my Highpoint controller is ok with slight overclock does not like standard bus speed!