BP6 not working quite right... only POSTs with 1 PPGA proc.

Geeky1

BP6 not working quite right... only POSTs with 1 PPGA proc.

Post by Geeky1 »

Hi all,

I picked up a BP6 at a surplus store the other day; it was untested and sold as-is. I also picked up two 466MHz PPGA Celerons so I wouldn't have to take the two I already have out of running systems. Anyhow, the CPUs are the same S-Spec (SL3EH) and both work fine in boards other than the BP6.

Test system configuration:
-ABIT BP6 Rev. 1.0, cosmetically perfect with no bulging caps, burn marks, or any other observable defects
-2x 466MHz SL3EH PPGA Celerons
-1x 128mb PC133
-PCI 16MB Creative TNT
-300w Enermax ATX (pre-P4) PS

Issue:
I started by putting both CPUs in the BP6. Powered the system up, didn't get any POST. Nothing displayed at all. Turned system off, took out the 2nd CPU, tried again. System POSTed fine. Swapped the CPUs out and checked the 2nd one in the primary socket. Also POSTed fine. Threw both CPUs in it again, and once again it refused to POST.

Any ideas?
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

Welcome to BP6.Com, Greeky1 !

What is the BIOS version for your BP6?

Even though the capacitors "look" good, one or more could be faulty.
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
Geeky1

Post by Geeky1 »

The BIOS is dated 06/08/1999... You're certainly right about the capacitors, I just tend to assume that if they haven't started leaking they're probably ok. :)

One other thing... like I said, I bought this board as-is, and it was definately used, as there's a layer of dust around the CPU sockets. I assumed it was only run as a single CPU board, because the second socket didn't appear to have any dust around it, but upon closer inspection the back of the serial and parallel ports have are caked in dust as well, which leads me to believe that the system was running in SMP at some point, for what that's worth.
ABIT BP6, ASUS PC-DL, P2B-D, PCI/I-P54NP4D, Intel PR440FX, Iwill DH800, DVD266U-RN, MSI K7D-L, Pro266TD-LR, Tyan Thunder 2500, Tiger 133, Thunderbolt, Tomcat IIID, Supermicro PIIIDME, S2DGU, P6DLS
Dave Rave
G'Day Mate!

Post by Dave Rave »

the dust can get to a point where it is so caked on (even lightly) that a good himud day can cause it to go muddy, set, and short vital electrical things.

using a fine paintbrush, about 1/2", soft one, and softly ...
with a vacuum cleaner, close by but not too close, (static) dust the entire board thouroughly.
usually works for me.

also, what fsb multipliers are you trying and voltages, in case you aren't using standard and haven't told us the whole truth yet
bp6's 3 x dual @ 533
. . . . 1 x dual @ 466
. . . . 1 sngl @ 400
[( 2 x dual xeon 2.4ghz )]
[( 2 x dual xeon 2.66ghz )]
[( 1 x 2.4C ghz )]
[( 1 x 2.4B ghz )]
[( 1 x dual AMD 1800MP )]
[( 1 x P4 1600 )]
[( 1 x 500 ppga )]
3 x piii 866
Geeky1

Post by Geeky1 »

default multi, fsb, and voltages. i'll deal with overclocking it *after* i get it working properly. :)

I've never seen dust get caked on like that around here, as it rarely if ever gets anything like that humid. However, the board should be cleaned up regardless and I'll do that shortly, though i'll be stunned beyond words if it gets the board running with both procs.
ABIT BP6, ASUS PC-DL, P2B-D, PCI/I-P54NP4D, Intel PR440FX, Iwill DH800, DVD266U-RN, MSI K7D-L, Pro266TD-LR, Tyan Thunder 2500, Tiger 133, Thunderbolt, Tomcat IIID, Supermicro PIIIDME, S2DGU, P6DLS
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

Geeky1 wrote:... The BIOS is dated 06/08/1999... You're certainly right about the capacitors, I just tend to assume that if they haven't started leaking they're probably ok. :) ...
After you have cleaned up your BP6, I would strongly recommend updating the BIOS to the RU or RV revision. They can be found here.
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
Dave Rave
G'Day Mate!

Post by Dave Rave »

after getting all my capacitors replaced, and being one cap short, the tech put all the replaced caps on the desk and picked up the 'good' ones, and put them on the multimeter.

most of the 'good' ones were dead.
while some of the 'dead' ones still had some good in them.
bp6's 3 x dual @ 533
. . . . 1 x dual @ 466
. . . . 1 sngl @ 400
[( 2 x dual xeon 2.4ghz )]
[( 2 x dual xeon 2.66ghz )]
[( 1 x 2.4C ghz )]
[( 1 x 2.4B ghz )]
[( 1 x dual AMD 1800MP )]
[( 1 x P4 1600 )]
[( 1 x 500 ppga )]
3 x piii 866
KliK

Re: BP6 not working quite right... only POSTs with 1 PPGA pr

Post by KliK »

Geeky1 wrote:Hi all,

I picked up a BP6 at a surplus store the other day; it was untested and sold as-is. I also picked up two 466MHz PPGA Celerons so I wouldn't have to take the two I already have out of running systems. Anyhow, the CPUs are the same S-Spec (SL3EH) and both work fine in boards other than the BP6.

Test system configuration:
-ABIT BP6 Rev. 1.0, cosmetically perfect with no bulging caps, burn marks, or any other observable defects
-2x 466MHz SL3EH PPGA Celerons
-1x 128mb PC133
-PCI 16MB Creative TNT
-300w Enermax ATX (pre-P4) PS

Issue:
I started by putting both CPUs in the BP6. Powered the system up, didn't get any POST. Nothing displayed at all. Turned system off, took out the 2nd CPU, tried again. System POSTed fine. Swapped the CPUs out and checked the 2nd one in the primary socket. Also POSTed fine. Threw both CPUs in it again, and once again it refused to POST.

Any ideas?

if i can understand correctly, you just tried out the PRIMARY SOCKET?!
can you put only one proc in and only in the SECOND SOCKET??? just to see if it works?!

and than post us some results!!!
Geeky1

Post by Geeky1 »

i wasn't aware that the board would work with one cpu in socket 1 and nothing in socket 0... hm. I'll try that too.
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

Geeky1,
Now with the caps replaced I'd bet it will work just fine in "dual" configuration or "uni"with a CPU in either socket. Those caps have done in many a BP6.

I would also bet you can run at 75FSB.(466@525) The 466s with a 7x multiplier will limit how fast your fsb setting can go, and even at 75fsb your AGP/PCI/IDE connections will be OVERCLOCKED more then 10%.

Good luck,
There are *almost* no bad BP6s. There are mostly bad caps.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
ViaCPU laptop with Vista.(Works great after bumping ram to 2Gig)
P-III 850@100