my question, dual PIII's on BP6, enough to handle MythTV?

jaybird

my question, dual PIII's on BP6, enough to handle MythTV?

Post by jaybird »

Ok, I'm looking for some practical use for my new toy(gotta justify it to my wife before she lets me complete it :wink: )). All I presently need to complete this box is a large HDD (OBTW, what is the biggest HDD the BP6 can "see"?), a video card and a case.

I know nothing about MythTV other than it takes the place of a TIVO, all the software is available for free and the box, once built, can still be used as a PC unlike the TIVO (which has a monthly fee :( ).

Or, I have a Gigabyte dual PIII (1.6 CopperMines, 512 cache @ 133, 1gig ram) that I could use, and use the BP6 as my video editing box instead of the dual 1.6 box (yeah, I know, it would be slower that way but I have more time than money :wink: ).

Will either work with MythTV?

Regards,

jaybird
Billl

Re: my question, dual PIII's on BP6, enough to handle MythTV

Post by Billl »

jaybird wrote:Ok, I'm looking for some practical use for my new toy(gotta justify it to my wife before she lets me complete it :wink: )). All I presently need to complete this box is a large HDD (OBTW, what is the biggest HDD the BP6 can "see"?), a video card and a case.

I know nothing about MythTV other than it takes the place of a TIVO, all the software is available for free and the box, once built, can still be used as a PC unlike the TIVO (which has a monthly fee :( ).

Or, I have a Gigabyte dual PIII (1.6 CopperMines, 512 cache @ 133, 1gig ram) that I could use, and use the BP6 as my video editing box instead of the dual 1.6 box (yeah, I know, it would be slower that way but I have more time than money :wink: ).

Will either work with MythTV?

Regards,

jaybird
I'm not sure what the limit is on the BP6 itself. But you can always put a PCI card controler, Promise makes one I've personally always had good luck with their cards. Probably cost about $40.00 US. The other limitation would be your OS. I'm assuming here your going to use either 2K, XP or some Linux distro? If so then the sky is the limit. You can go as big as you want.

Billl
jaybird

Post by jaybird »

From what I've read, MythTV requires Linux.

I stall don't know if my box will be fast enough for MythTV applications.

Regards,

jaybird
Dave Rave
G'Day Mate!

Post by Dave Rave »

ouch, piii's, uhm, yummmmm
did you look through the obvious at
http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-3.html#ss3.1
jaybird

Post by jaybird »

How in the world I missed that page I'll never know :oops:

Thanks Mr. Dave :D

Looks Like I just might be able to do it, guess I'll never know unless I try.

Now to convince my wife I'm building a new "entertainment center" :wink:

Regards,

jaybird