I finally broke down for help ULTRA

kdtron

I finally broke down for help ULTRA

Post by kdtron »

I have been at this all morning and most of the night prior. Heres my current set up.

Hard Drive on IDE 1
CDRW on IDE 2

I have been trying to intsall a DVDRW on an Ultra port and on boot up it sees it in the HPT 366 1.22 screen but once I get in windows it only sees my C and D drives?

I did some searches so set the seq to A,C,EXT than set EXT =DMA

but still nothing. I am also using a 80 wire 40 pin cable. I am lost though. I never have used the 66 ports since when I first got th board I remember reading on here they can cause problems but I need to now.

Any help would be appreciated.

Also have a similar problem with my Ultra 100 IDE card (now removed) it will see it on boot up but any drives I try to attach to it windows will not see.

Thanks
LunaticFrige

Post by LunaticFrige »

try updating the OS device drivers for the HighPoint SCSI and RAID controller (and/or maybe even your HPT BIOS).

BTW, i recently found that win2k kept trying to reinstall the old drivers no matter what i did, so i had to note the names of the oem*.inf files it was using and delete them from my system before it would finally accept my new ones.
LunaticFrige

Post by LunaticFrige »

double post
Last edited by LunaticFrige on Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Post by InactiveX »

Why don't you connect the DVD to IDE 1 or 2 as a slave device?

NB Each IDE port can serve two IDE drives, one as master, the other as slave. The jumpers on the backs of the IDE drives need to be set for master or slave.
Like BP6.com? Not a member?
Then why the hell not? It's great!
-> BP6.com Membership <-
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

The HPT366 controller was designed with hard drives in mind, not CDROMs.

Here's what the BP6 manual says:

The HPT366 IDE controller is designed to support high-speed mass storage. Thus, we don't suggest you connect non-disk devices that use ATA/ATAPI interfaces, such as CD-ROM to HPT366 IDE connector (IDE3 & IDE4).
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
Dave Rave
G'Day Mate!

Post by Dave Rave »

I did some searches so set the seq to A,C,EXT than set EXT =DMA
this would only affect the boot order
and as your hdd is on C it won't change anything
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

I learnt the hard way that the HPT controller doesn't work well with Optical devices. When I first bought my BP6 I had a DVD-ROM installed on the HPT controller. Whenever I played movies, the movies would skip like crazy (much like a scratched CD). I switched the DVD-ROM over to the regular IDE controllers and the movies have played perfectly ever since!
-Derek
24seven
IRC Lurker

Post by 24seven »

I learnt the easy way :D I'll not go into details :P