No
69%
Only if there's some element of choice
31%

Total votes: 16

tomatoeboy

"Trusted" computing platform

Post by tomatoeboy »

So what do you think guys? I don't really know an awful lot about this but it looks as though its gonna be one of those things that just get phased in without us noticing & before you know it people are looking back to the good ole' days when you could do what you wanted with your computer.

Anyone know what AMD's stance is on this stuff?
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

At this moment I don't have a position regarding the topic... I can see how it could be useful, and I can see how it could be a pain.

Just 2 cents.
tomatoeboy

Post by tomatoeboy »

Wow, guys, I'm absolutely overwhelmed.

Seem no-one really cares whether they lose control of their computers then.

Its this sort of apathetic attitude that mean the big media companies can continue to "protect" their incomes without bothering to put any effort into new ways to attract customers. No one bothers to think about it so it just gets snuck in & before you know it you've got no choice. It's there on your machine whether you want it or not.

Bit like the way you've got MS Windows & Office on all your machines. It gets put on & made to seem like it's the only possibility, so the dumb masses blindly go along with it & a monopoly is born. Where the sense of spirit that created the MB this site is all about. The celeron wasn't meant to do SMP. Some people looked at it and said "Hold on, it can do SMP even if Intel say otherwise & bang you got the slokets & eventually the BP6. If they'd just accepted what Intel said as the only way then the board would never have been made & this site, forum & community would never have existed.

Anyway, enough of the rant. I guess I'll see you all with your trusted computers in a few years then.
Snugglebear

Post by Snugglebear »

Trusted computing is a joke. One of the profs here is doing a large amount of research in that realm and they've been stumped for years. There really aren't any good ways of establishing trust without trusted third parties holding all the keys... and then someone out there has access to your data. If you're fine with that then the system can work, if not, then there's pretty much no bulletproof way to do it.
g0fvt

Post by g0fvt »

This "trusted computing" is insiduous, I know some of Microsofts activities are contentious such as Digital rights management etc but they may be in an awkward position regarding piracy that is committed on Windows machines.... although car manufacturers are not usually sued by people that have accidents with them....

I think more and more people are pursuing the likes of Linux to escape the Windows stranglehold on home pc use....
the_flames

Post by the_flames »

Trusted computing would be a good idea, BUT no company working for profit can be trusted, and most goverments have corruption, so who is there to trust?
tomatoeboy

Post by tomatoeboy »

this seems to be a pretty good article on the whole TCPA/Palladium for any of those interested
http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/28016.html