BP6 Only Boots on Second Attempt

Menkatek

BP6 Only Boots on Second Attempt

Post by Menkatek »

Hi. Long time BP6 owner here, who got the PCNut Cel 366 @ 550 combo many years ago. It's been my Mom's computer since '02, and today I upgraded her sound card and added another Celeron. And was sorely reminded how much trouble the BP6 used to be for me.

The first problem was that the computer would shut down after 7 seconds, which was resolved by removing some of those gold mount pins that the motherboard is attached to (solution thanks to searching this board :) ).

Now I'm having the problem where it doesn't boot up when you first switch on the computer. The power is on and the fans are running, but the video doesn't start nor the system goes to POST. It only works after powering down, and then turning it back on again. Then everything runs perfectly normal.

I know I had this problem before, though I cannot remember what I did to fix it. I replaced the PSU and reset CMOS. I also unplugged the computer for several minutes. Back then, some Anandtechers were complaining about this too but I cannot seem to dig up those old threads.

This has become very frustrating. :( Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

Menkatek,
Welcome to the board!

How do the caps look?
There are *almost* no bad BP6s. There are mostly bad caps.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
ViaCPU laptop with Vista.(Works great after bumping ram to 2Gig)
P-III 850@100
Menkatek

Post by Menkatek »

davd_bob wrote:Menkatek,
Welcome to the board!

How do the caps look?
Hi davd_bob. All the caps look fine; none are blown or pyramid. The computer has always booted up fine from cold, so it must have been something I did. :? I was under the impression that this is a common problem?
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

Not common. Since you tried another PSU that proly rules that out as an issue. Next, try establish ALL the changes you made. You said added a sound card and a 2nd CPU. Did you adjust anything in the BIOS? D'oh!! You said you reset the CMOS so I guess you re-did ALL the BIOS settings. My suggestions are: 1) Try the BIOS at 66FSB and 2.0volts on both CPUs. If not ok then...
2) Pull the sound card. If not OK put back to original and try again. Let us know the results. After Monday Night I will be un available for almost 2 weeks but Im sure others will gladly step in to make suggestions.

David
There are *almost* no bad BP6s. There are mostly bad caps.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
ViaCPU laptop with Vista.(Works great after bumping ram to 2Gig)
P-III 850@100
Menkatek

Post by Menkatek »

Thanks for your reply, David. I tried pulling out the sound card to no avail.

I eventually recalled that the way I fixed it last time was to reset the CMOS with the jumper. Since I had tried it before, I gave it another shot and it didn't help. I ended up repeating this procedure 9 times before I finally got a video signal from the first switch-on. Yay!

Needless to say, I can't believe how sensitive the BP6 is. Since I first got it in '99, it has caused many headaches. I now remember the fiasco with the HPT366 and the IRQ_NOTLESS_OR_EQUAL BSOD errors. What a terrible controller. (Now using a Maxtor ATA/133 PCI controller.) But still pretty cool to be running dual processors. :P

Thanks again for your help. :)
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

Menkatek wrote:Needless to say, I can't believe how sensitive the BP6 is.
Thanks again for your help. :)
Your welcome.
BTW, most of the BP6s are pretty macho. Physicotic at times but tough. Your board must be one of those rare ones that cries at weddings. lol
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

lol! :invi_laugh: :lol:
-Derek