bogus Windowz warnings?

jaybird

bogus Windowz warnings?

Post by jaybird »

I just reloaded win2k pro, now each time I go out to the internet I get these warnings from "messanger service" (MicroSoft?) that there are multiple problems with my PC, ie: "47 registry errors detected" goto website XXXX and download patch or we have detected a security issue, goto etc.,. and the list goes on and on.

I downloaded SP4 and by the time I was done there were over 20 warnings flashing on my screen! :(

What's going on here?

Any one else seen this?

I'v run Spybot S&D, Lavasoft adaware, anti-virus, etc.,. and they still come back! :evil:

Regards,

jaybird
Dave Rave
G'Day Mate!

Post by Dave Rave »

they are examples of why SP4 and Windows Updates are needed.
without the updates, people are able to get at your computer, even if it's only to put up popups to make it even worse.
bp6's 3 x dual @ 533
. . . . 1 x dual @ 466
. . . . 1 sngl @ 400
[( 2 x dual xeon 2.4ghz )]
[( 2 x dual xeon 2.66ghz )]
[( 1 x 2.4C ghz )]
[( 1 x 2.4B ghz )]
[( 1 x dual AMD 1800MP )]
[( 1 x P4 1600 )]
[( 1 x 500 ppga )]
3 x piii 866
purrkur
Linux Guru

Post by purrkur »

I find it simply amazing that with all of the IM services out there, Microsofts is the one that seems to be most unsecure of all.

You can try something like this which might protect you from SPIM when you run MSN Messenger on Windows. Alternatively, switch to an IM service that isn't from MS.
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd
Debian Linux stable with 2.4.8 kernel
Dave Rave
G'Day Mate!

Post by Dave Rave »

I've heard of this hole being exploitable to the point of ...
a newly installed OS, plug in the netork cable, boot it up.
you don't get a chance to do anything on cable before you find the computer hacked by someone's numbskull computer who also hasn't been patched up-to-date and is out trying to spread itself about.

build your OS off-line.
and have the SP4 off-line install file handy, do the OS and SP4 off-line.
then Windows Update the rest. she'll be sweet after that.
purrkur
Linux Guru

Post by purrkur »

Dave Rave wrote:a newly installed OS, plug in the netork cable, boot it up. you don't get a chance to do anything on cable before you find the computer hacked by someone's numbskull computer who also hasn't been patched up-to-date and is out trying to spread itself about.

build your OS off-line.
and have the SP4 off-line install file handy, do the OS and SP4 off-line.
then Windows Update the rest. she'll be sweet after that.
Dave, you are absolutely right. In my line of work, it is common knowledge that you don't plug in the network cable on a newly installed Windows system until you have patched it left, right and center. Then you can attach a, the network cable. I ususally like to add that a Windows box should never be connected to the internet without a firewall (not the silly thing MS provides) inbetween.

If you read this Slashdot article you will see that the survival time of unpatched Windows has been cut down from 40 minutes to 20 minutes. 20 minutes is not long enough to download and install patches. If you go here you will find out that the same time frame for Linux is months.

What I don't understand Dave is why you say "OS" and not "Windows" like you should?? :)
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd
Debian Linux stable with 2.4.8 kernel
Dave Rave
G'Day Mate!

Post by Dave Rave »

I can show you a Telstra Bigpond system firewall log, where 98% of the logged firewall traffic is port 135 traffic from the LOCAL x.y.0.0/16 node network
(or is that x.y.z.0/24 or whatever)

my Optus log is full of everything else but port 135 but it shows, the world is trying to screw with your computer, and once they do, big deal, they won't know about it.
stupid virus writers.
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

purrkur wrote:... I ususally like to add that a Windows box should never be connected to the internet without a firewall (not the silly thing MS provides) inbetween. ...
Amen! We use several PIX firewalls at our various locations to protect us. I can install, service pack, and update without any problems. 8)
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

purrkur wrote:I find it simply amazing that with all of the IM services out there, Microsofts is the one that seems to be most unsecure of all.
Ahh, c'mon guys. (cmiiw)Most good hackers HATE Billyware and therfore constantly try hack it, with some LARGE degree of sucess I might add. MS is followed by AOL as the biggest targets for spam type hacking because the most of the customer base of both...have money to waste, and don't really know what they are doing whick makes them easy prey.

Why would anyone bother to hack Linux? 1)No-one is making a killing on it and 2)Linux is not trying to rule the world and 3)Linux users are much more aware of and therefore protect themselves against threats of this nature.

Oh, I had to use that variation of Davd Rave's bcmiiw.
There are *almost* no bad BP6s. There are mostly bad caps.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
ViaCPU laptop with Vista.(Works great after bumping ram to 2Gig)
P-III 850@100