Perplexing Issues with OS install etc....

guppergoo

Perplexing Issues with OS install etc....

Post by guppergoo »

Ok, I have moved to a new house and in the process had to shut down the bp6, obviously. After a few months I have had time to pull it out and have decided to switch to a hdd disk containing Clark Connect for a web/ftp/fileserver config that is easy to manage and deploy. I also wanted to setup a new xp disk in case the Clark Connect turns out not to be my cup of tea.

It seems that some of the IDE controllers have gone all crazy on me. I cannot connect more then 1 device to the primary IDE without it conking. I have even tried to use an Ultra 66 card, a modded FastTrack 66 card, and a ata 100 card with no luck. After about 20hrs of work I managed to get XP installed but none of my Linux/Clark Connect cd's will auto load from cdrom no matter what I try. I am totally confused. I have never had these sort of install issues on any other computer before.

I was thinking of upgrading the bios, and trying a larger PSU. Right now its a 250watt with dual 366's OC'd to 550, 16mb agp, lan, hdd, cdrom, floppy. I have removed all sticks for RAM except for 1 256mb.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Todd
Dave Rave
G'Day Mate!

Post by Dave Rave »

I have some 10gb drives from EBay, i think out of Xboxes.

using a piii board, if i use an 80 pin cable the register as ata66 but the drives don't work.
using a 40 pin cable, they show as ata33 and work fine.
use a 40 pin cable with a cdrom drive, they show as ata66, and don't work.

stupid 10gb drives ;-)
possibly (?) because they were in an xbox and never got master/slaved ?
it's an idea anyhoo...