Quality of Abit RMA service?

Tim_K

Quality of Abit RMA service?

Post by Tim_K »

I called Abit today to send in my BP6 for repairs. Or replacement if they have another BP6 in stock. They said they had very few on hand.

Anyone had any experiences with them? Were they fast, was the new board good, etc.?

During the phone call, I found out that my BP6 V. 1.0 was one of the first ones built, 7/1/99, serial # 000938.

Most likely it's bad caps, but I also suspect a faulty BIOS.

What does RMA mean?
See "Online Video" the internets comedy / opinion webshow, at www.loudmouthtim.com !
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

RMA
Return
Murchandise
Authorization.

Manufatrurers had to start authorizing returns back for replacment/repair after lots of electronic customers wanted their unit replaced for reasons like operater error and the like. I worked at KLH Computers' helpdesk and for example, people would want a new PC shippet out because they formated their harddrive C.
There are *almost* no bad BP6s. There are mostly bad caps.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
ViaCPU laptop with Vista.(Works great after bumping ram to 2Gig)
P-III 850@100
hyperspace
Board Admin

Re: Quality of Abit RMA service?

Post by hyperspace »

Tim_K wrote:Anyone had any experiences with them? Were they fast, was the new board good, etc.?
Several BP6ers have RMA'd their mainboard to ABIT with great results. Search the forum for details.
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
headseed

Post by headseed »

True enough, I got one from them, because a seller said he "didn't know" it had bad caps... .they were exploded all over everything, not just swollen.

I was happy to share my RMA experience on here, I always wondered when and if someone read it if they would try to buy up bad bps for cheap and cash in somehow. Then I realized that with shipping and whatever you have to pay for the bad board(s) that it would be really difficult for someone to pull this off with any kind of profit. Plus mostly anyone reading the rma thread on here is most likely a bp6 enthusiast and would benefit from the info.

Then I realized, WTF am I doing worrying about a situation that I made up in my headm I must be crazy! :screwy: :screwy: :screwy:
Dual Barton Mobile 1.8ghz
Venice 3000+ @ 2.6ghz
lots of BP6s and two VP6s all apart currently
Tim_K

Post by Tim_K »

I had gotten an email from Abit 2 nights ago about a package being ready to go to UPS for me, so I called yesterday and asked what it was. They said my BP6 needed capacitors, so they sent it to their repair place and sent me another BP6 that had already been fixed and should have an RU BIOS revision (that's the most current one, right?).

UPS say it'll get here on the 13th, so I'll wait and get it and see how it goes.
See "Online Video" the internets comedy / opinion webshow, at www.loudmouthtim.com !