Which Wireless -g network cards will work with bp6???

hexibot43

Which Wireless -g network cards will work with bp6???

Post by hexibot43 »

Ok, I've read everything I can find on www.bp6.com about installing wireless cards, and I'm getting more confused. I have tried a linksys G, and a D-link AirPlus G DWL-G510, and had no luck. Neither would work. I couldn't get my system to boot with the linksys. And with the D-link it wouldn't recognize the card was there. I have read this very thing here on the forum. But what I haven't seen is anyone saying a Wifi Network card that worked. If I didn't think USB 1.1 wasn't so unreliable I would go that way, but I've never had good luck with it.
Has anyone had any luck with a particular wireless card???? I did read where someone added 3.3v signal to the pci slot on the bp6, but would like to hear more about that before going that direction. I sure would rather just put a card in that works out of the box.

Thanks,

Marcello :?
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

During system boot up, before the OS loads, does the BP6 BIOS "see" or detect D-Link?
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
hexibot43

Post by hexibot43 »

It does not see the d-link at all. It is like it is not being installed at all. I've already installed the driver software hoping that it might see something I'm not. No luck. I have also noticed that the Bp6 didn't like my Kingston KNE100tx wired ethernet card. But it does see it, and installs the software. It just doesn't work. An Intel 10/100 card works great though. I also tried to put an aftermarket usb host card in without any luck. an ADS technologies, inc. USbx-500. I am trying to get away from the onboard usb, which I believe is buggy. I just never had any luck with it.
I am really wondering where you are going with that question?

Marcello
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

hexibot43 wrote:I am really wondering where you are going with that question?Marcello
The following is a shot in the dark...

From what I have found on the Internet the D-Link DWL-510 and ASUS WL-138G use a Marvell W8300 chipset. I wonder if the LinkSys G uses the same chipset. If these companies are using the same PCI card design for this chipset, then we may see similar problems or issues. The companies could even "OEM" these cards from Marvell.

[Big Maybe]

(from another post)

"For the ASUS WL-138G, check out this link:

http://club.aopen.com.tw/faq/FAQ_ShowAn ... ge=English

Q5808: Why after installing ASUS WL-138G wireless card on my motherboard or cube the system will not boot?

Upon checking the design and pin definition of this specific card we found out that it uses some connections that will not be compatible on some of our boards/cube. To address this issue, it is needed that pin 1 of the wireless card be block. This pin is located on the solder side (or the side of the card with no components installed). Start counting from the end of PCI bracket. An image link is available for additional reference.

I did a Google search and there were many "will not boot" links. Wonder if ASUS and MSI use the circuit board design (maybe same chipset) for their wireless cards. Covering pin 1 on the MSI card might correct the problem. "

[/Big Maybe]
Last edited by hyperspace on Sun Jan 02, 2005 3:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
Dave Rave
G'Day Mate!

Post by Dave Rave »

the D-link AirPlus G DWL-G520 is listed under Product Spec as being PCI 2.2

did we earlier establish that the BP6 is PCI 2.1 and that would prolly be the cause ? (anyone)
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

Dave Rave wrote:the D-link AirPlus G DWL-G520 is listed under Product Spec as being PCI 2.2

did we earlier establish that the BP6 is PCI 2.1 and that would prolly be the cause ? (anyone)
I typo'd (again, argh!). 510, not 520.

"This device is backwards compatible with older PCI buses". According to D-Link.
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
Dave Rave
G'Day Mate!

Post by Dave Rave »

also noticed, and I think it's just wroooooong, but

it stresses that you MUST install the drivers BEFORE putting the pci card in the system.
might that explain a part of the problem.
us all being so used to putting the card in and installing drivers when it asks for them.
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

Since hexibot43 says the BIOS does not see the card during boot up, the OS won't see it either. That's why I'm suggesting doing the "pin 1" fix discussed in the AOPEN post listed above.
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
Dave Rave
G'Day Mate!

Post by Dave Rave »

I've seen a card that doesn't show during post that works in windows when the drivers are loaded. weirdos.

and if the drivers haven't been loaded, perhaps the system is freezing due to their absence ?
hexibot43

Post by hexibot43 »

Ok, I have the driver already loaded waiting for the card. It doesn't see it under windows xp pro.

Does anybody have a Wifi card in BP6 working???? I'm going to try the pin #1 thing, and I'll let everyone know later this evening. You know this is not as easy as it sounds. The pci socket wants to push anything out of the way you put here. So I am now waiting for my wifes fingernail polish to dry before I reinstall and try again.

I want to thank everyone that has responded. I love my Bp6 and I will never give it up. Even when it pisses me off.

I've been wondering if I could put a pci to pcmcia adapter in and use a notebook wireless card?

Thanks,

Marcello
hexibot43

Post by hexibot43 »

I've now used nail polish on both the linksys, and the dlink cards without any luck. Looking at each card, it didn't appear that either one of them was using that trace anyway, but I wasn't positive so I tried it. I rechecked the nailpolish when I pulled out each board, and it was intact. I ran an ohm meter across the surface making sure there couldn't have been any connection. I then took both cards and installed them into an Asus motherboard and they both worked with the nail polish.
A friend of mine just came over and he said why don't you just change the motherboard? It is the cheapest fix. He just doesn't understand.

Marcello
purrkur
Linux Guru

Post by purrkur »

hexibot43 wrote: A friend of mine just came over and he said why don't you just change the motherboard? It is the cheapest fix. He just doesn't understand.
whoa! What kind of friends do you hang around with?? :)

Friends don't let friends swap their BP6 motherboards for something else...
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd
Debian Linux stable with 2.4.8 kernel
hexibot43

Post by hexibot43 »

Sucess! Lexy wrote me the answer. I will put together the pics of the repair as laid out by lexy in the next couple days.
I was able to use both the linksys, and the dlink cards with this fix. Lexy was using the a netgear card. So, I think this is the real deal. I post more soon.
The bp6 lives on in the wireless world.

Marcello :D
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

I don't think they can design a card that is so technologicaly foolproof to tinkering that BP6'ers can't get it to work on our beloved mother board.
(because we fools are so ingenious)
There are *almost* no bad BP6s. There are mostly bad caps.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
ViaCPU laptop with Vista.(Works great after bumping ram to 2Gig)
P-III 850@100
stevoh

Post by stevoh »

i have got a belkin 54g wireless nic , which i tried to install in my bp6 system. windows xp sp2 did not detect the card at all, i checked i had all the latest bios updates, drivers etc and they were all up to date.

i even tried to manually scan for hardware changes in device manager , but this still did not make any difference.

i noticed from the belkin nic documentation that the card is a 32bit, so i think this may explain why it is not compatible with the system (old architecure possibly) if this is the case i think the only way to go, would be to try using a usb wireless nic or getting a newer pc.

hope this helps
stevoh

wireless nic.s

Post by stevoh »

i have got a belkin 54g wireless nic , which i tried to install in my bp6 system. windows xp sp2 did not detect the card at all, i checked i had all the latest bios updates, drivers etc and they were all up to date.

i even tried to manually scan for hardware changes in device manager , but this still did not make any difference.

i noticed from the belkin nic documentation that the card is a 32bit, so i think this may explain why it is not compatible with the system (old architecure possibly) if this is the case i think the only way to go, would be to try using a usb wireless nic or getting a newer pc.

hope this helps
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

hexibot43 wrote:Success! Lexy wrote me the answer. I will put together the pics of the repair as laid out by lexy in the next couple days.
I was able to use both the linksys, and the dlink cards with this fix. Lexy was using the a netgear card. So, I think this is the real deal. I post more soon.

This is great news! Once you have the details posted, I'll make a FAQ dedicated to you and lexy.

The BP6 will Live Forever...
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
ERLING

Post by ERLING »

Me (and my Linksys card) is still waiting for the solution... Did
anything go wrong?

ERLING :umm: [/img]
LunaticFrige

Post by LunaticFrige »

I too have the Belkin 54g card that won't work in any slot, so I'm now using the Belkin 54g USB adapter connected to a USB2.0 pci card. A friend of mine claims that the Broadcom chip based pci products won't work on older MB's cause the drivers are crap.

:!: Hope hexibot43 or Lexy will return with a solution soon, before I have to pawn this junk onto some other poor unsuspecting sap :twisted:
JEZZI_

Net Gear Wireless wg311

Post by JEZZI_ »

I am new here, and see that there was a soultion found, and it was supposed to be put into a FAQ, I cannot seem to find this FAQ or the solution, is it here somewhere?

I am getting the same error in any pci slot I get no post with the card in.

-Jezzi_
ricounec

Post by ricounec »

Still no FAQ ?
Which wi-fi card to plug into the BP6 ?

Eric
purrkur
Linux Guru

Post by purrkur »

ricounec wrote:Still no FAQ ?
Which wi-fi card to plug into the BP6 ?
How exactly would you like us to compile such a FAQ?? I think you would be best served if you asked a question like "Does anybody know if card A works with Operating System B running on BP6"?

I have a no-name wireless PCI card using Texas Instruments ACX111 chipset on a Abit BH6 motherboard running W2k pro. It is a BX chipset motherboard and of similar age to BP6.

I think one manufacturer of these PCI wireless cards using that chip is Trendnet.
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd
Debian Linux stable with 2.4.8 kernel
s4brains

Post by s4brains »

I have a Hawkings brand USB wireless G adapter working using the onboard USB 1.1 ports but because it is not USB 2.0, the throughput seems to be capped at 11 Mbps. (Isn't that the speed of wireless B?) Anyhow, I tried plugging it into a USB 2.0 adapter card but when I plug the WiFi adapter into a USB 2.0 port, WinXP freezes. It would be nice to have 54 Mbps, but 11 Mbps is better than nothing. My system is loaded with adapter cards and even getting the USB 2.0 card to provide some semblance of proper operation wasn't easy so perhaps the USB adapter still has some sort of conflict. The only other USB device that I have tried with the USB 2.0 adapter card is a jump drive which works O.K.

s4
ricounec

Post by ricounec »

Hi everybody,

I'm happy to tell you all that I've just plugged a (802.11b, 802.11g, 802.11b+) D-link AirPlus Xtreme G+ DWL-G520+ wi-fi PCI card into my BP6... and it works perfectly well within a 802.11.g network ! (sure, that's why I can send this post !)

I didn't get particular problem to get this one run (under win 98 SE). Just followed the manual.
[NB : I didn't try any other wi-fi card before.]

Eric
LunaticFrige

Post by LunaticFrige »

BUMP :!: :?:
hyperspace wrote:
hexibot43 wrote:Success! Lexy wrote me the answer. I will put together the pics of the repair as laid out by lexy in the next couple days.

This is great news! Once you have the details posted, I'll make a FAQ dedicated to you and lexy.

The BP6 will Live Forever...