BP6 quit POSTing!

Tim_K

BP6 quit POSTing!

Post by Tim_K »

Well, I finally got this BP6 up and running on Windows 2000 today, and I installed a variety of antivirus software and a Sygate firewall. Today the computer got restarted about 12-15 times.

Everything's fine, so it was almost time to load up folding@home and put it to work.

According to motherboard monitor 5.3.7, both processors were 466 Celeron Mendocinos, but CPU 2 wasn't working. The gauges showed 467 Mhz on CPU 1 and 0 Mhz on 2. I ran it like that all day. Temps were 30-32 C on the CPUs. I have bigger than stock aluminum heat sinks on the CPUs, a thin layer of thermal compound, and 60 MM Foxconn fans.

When I got it, the stock 50 MM second CPU fan had bad bearings and was turning very slowly, so I expected that the second CPU was overheated and shot.

I pulled out the second CPU and went to restart. No POST. Put it back in, no POST. Tried swapping the CPUs back and forth, putting the 128 MB memory stick in each of the 3 slots, installing my 533 Mhz Celeron in each socket, no POST!

I even tried clearing the CMOS with the jumper. Didn't help. I pulled the CMOS battery out and tested it. 2.7 volts. I went to Radio Shack and got a new one which showed 3.22 volts. That didn't help.

When I start it up, I get no beeps at all, the monitor light stays orange, it doesn't flash green at all, and the hard drive will run for about 3 seconds. Only the fans seem to be working. Power stays on until I shut it off.

WTF? And ideas on what to do here? The caps are all looking good, whether they actually are or not is currently unknown.

Once you get a computer working good, DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING!!!!! You'd think I'd have learned that by now.
See "Online Video" the internets comedy / opinion webshow, at www.loudmouthtim.com !
davd_bob
Confused

Re: BP6 quit POSTing!

Post by davd_bob »

Tim_K wrote:Once you get a computer working good, DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING!!!!! You'd think I'd have learned that by now.
No one, and I really mean NO ONE ever learns that lesson.

See it knaws at the back of your head that if you do just one more thing it will make everything better then BAMB.
There are *almost* no bad BP6s. There are mostly bad caps.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
ViaCPU laptop with Vista.(Works great after bumping ram to 2Gig)
P-III 850@100
Tim_K

Post by Tim_K »

I got confirmation from Abit that it was bad caps.
See "Online Video" the internets comedy / opinion webshow, at www.loudmouthtim.com !