Problems with my old Intel Server

Puppas

Problems with my old Intel Server

Post by Puppas »

Someone, please help me...

I came across an old Intel server the other day, and i just had to have it. So i bought it =) i think it was built in -92, it's got 32MB ECC EDO and a Pentium @ 90Mhz *wooosch* 8)
And everything is fitted in to an enormous fulltower.
But here's the thing, when it's supposed to boot i get an error message that reads : SCSIBIOS Not Installed ! (Adaptec AIC-7770P Integrated SCSI Adapter)
It is an Adaptec SCSI controller and 3*1GB SCSI disks. And i worked fine before, it seems like i have turned off the SCSI controller somehow.
When i go in to the BIOS i get a message telling me that the changes that the EISA something is going to do will write over the BIOS configuration.

But i cant start the EISA setup, beacuse i cant find it...
I have to make this work, i carried that piece of crap for ½ mile, and it weighs a ton....

//Swede
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
purrkur
Linux Guru

Post by purrkur »

Hmmmm. EISA. That is old allright! EISA was an open bus standard that competed with the propriatery MCA bus that IBM introduced into its PS/2 computers many years ago. The "E" in EISA stands for "Extended" so what you can basically say that it was a 32 bit extension for the 16 bit ISA architechture with a higher throughput.

For the most part it only showed up in servers (similar to 64-bit PCI today) and it never cought on in user-land and was eventually replaced by VESA local bus and eventually PCI that put the final nail into the coffin for both architectures. What is good to know is that you can use regular ISA boards in your EISA slots...

What I would recommend is to first make sure that the MB battery isn't dead because any changes made will fade away if the battery is history. Then I would check if I could find any configuration utilities for the board on the net. It is quite possible that there were utilities to configure the board that were not a part of BIOS. Your information on what the BIOS message was that you saw concerning EISA was a bit vague so I can't comment on the significance of it I am sorry to say...
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd
Debian Linux stable with 2.4.8 kernel
Puppas

Post by Puppas »

Is there anyone that have any EISA configuration program???
I thnik that is what i need to enable the BIOS.
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

Puppas wrote:Is there anyone that have any EISA configuration program???
I thnik that is what i need to enable the BIOS.
I do. But it's for Compaq's. 486-33 vintage.
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
purrkur
Linux Guru

Post by purrkur »

Andreas: The EISA program must be comaptible with your board. I would try to find the name of the board and do some searching for programs on the net.
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd
Puppas

Post by Puppas »

Andreas ? Känner du mig lr ?

I have done searches on the net, i cant find anything, really...
And what i did found did not work.
Going nuts here... :x
Dave Rave
G'Day Mate!

Post by Dave Rave »

if there is nothing for hte SCSI adaptor to do, it won't install a bios during post.

checked the cables on the scsi drives and card ?
are the drives working ?
do they show int he SCSI post screens ?
Holodeck2
Modder Extraordinaire

Post by Holodeck2 »

WOOH look at that dinosaur!
gut it and put a bp6 in there, then raid it like mad with all that HDD storage space you have there
yea, back from the dead

If it ain't broken, mod it until it is
purrkur
Linux Guru

Post by purrkur »

Holodeck2 wrote:WOOH look at that dinosaur!
gut it and put a bp6 in there, then raid it like mad with all that HDD storage space you have there
Good advice Holodeck2!

Puppas: Du signade en post du skrev med ditt namn...
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd
Puppas

Post by Puppas »

purrkur: Suck, tänkte inte på det =) Så vart är du ifrån då ?

Everything is connected and working, i saw a picture on the net of this EISA configuration program where you can disable the SCSI Bios, something must have turned that option on, i cant get it back... :shock:

Well if i cant get that piece of crap working i promise i will put my other BP6 mobo in there 8)

If i just could get an EISA config utility i think everything will be fine.