Installing new HD and O/S please help

kylewo0

Installing new HD and O/S please help

Post by kylewo0 »

I have a 200gb seagate Burraccuda that I am having a difficult time with. I have just reinstalled windows 2k pro for the second time, the first time I could only get the hard drive to read 80 gigs of it. Know I have it reading at 130?? Is there something I need to do for my o/s to show the full harddrive space when I am formating and partitioning??
sorry but its hard for me to explain this.( when I reboot my cpu with the winn cd in the drive and I go to setup windows it only shows 131086 Mb space of unpartitioned space? Please help
Hey, Don't Be Talking About My Motherboard -ADULT SWIM
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

To what controller is the drive connected - NOT the HPT366 I hope!
If you plan to use the drive as it was engineered to work, purchase a Promise ATA-133 PCI card. The card's BIOS will load on boot and add a new level of LBA sector translation scheme that will give you the full 200GB & MB/s of the drive. You will receive the bonus of reliable opreation (not available with HPT366).
Zero point energy
kylewo0

=)

Post by kylewo0 »

Can you put your reply in modern English please, naa j/k.
ok ill try it out a well see.)
BCN

Post by BCN »

modern english: (translation :woot:)

buy Promise TX2 ATA133 controller

:D
Dual C366@550MHz 1.90V :) (History)
yet single PIII-S 512Kb L2 cache at 1400MHz@700MHz
BP6 (not modded yet)
256MB PC133 C2
GF4Ti4200-8x
Maxtor 2x60Gb - all on promise ATA133
Lite-On LTR 40125S@48125W!!!
Plus P4 system
Holodeck2
Modder Extraordinaire

Post by Holodeck2 »

RRLEDford going on his HPT is evil crusade again :lol:
yea, back from the dead

If it ain't broken, mod it until it is
kylewo0

Post by kylewo0 »

This is what the previous owner of the drive said he did. Tell me what you think
"I had the same problem and it took me days to find out what I am about to tell you. You have to have a recent version of windows. I know on XP you must have SP1 or it only shows as 131GB. This is a problem with windows not the hard drive. There is a workaround, if you still have your old OS on another drive then make sure its updated and format your 200gb as a slave under windows using the disk management tool. If not find another computer that has xp or 2000 and make sure it has the most recent service pack and format it from there. This is a big pain but it’s the only way I know. It seems Microsoft did not plan for hard drives to be over 100gb when the tools were written."
purrkur
Linux Guru

Post by purrkur »

kylewo0 wrote:This is what the previous owner of the drive said he did. Tell me what you think
"I had the same problem and it took me days to find out what I am about to tell you. You have to have a recent version of windows. I know on XP you must have SP1 or it only shows as 131GB. This is a problem with windows not the hard drive. There is a workaround, if you still have your old OS on another drive then make sure its updated and format your 200gb as a slave under windows using the disk management tool. If not find another computer that has xp or 2000 and make sure it has the most recent service pack and format it from there. This is a big pain but it’s the only way I know. It seems Microsoft did not plan for hard drives to be over 100gb when the tools were written."
Hmmm. Microsoft bashing is always fun but in this case he isn't really exactly right. I think the limit is with the BIOS and not with Windows. BIOS sets up parameters that ultimately decide how Windows sees your harddrive. If the motherboard and/or BIOS is old then I would put my money on that being the issue.

It actually sucks that Windows relies on BIOS for harddrive information and configuration. Linux doesn't suffer from such legacy stuff. I have a nice Dell Pentium Pro machine here that has a BIOS induced harddrive size limit of 8.4 GB. I only needed to make sure that the bootable partition of Linux was within those 8.4 GB somewhere because after Linux booted up it did away with BIOS and its harddrive limitations. It was running with a 40 GB disk for about 2 years before I downgraded the machine to firewall duties (with a 2 GB disk).
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd
Debian Linux stable with 2.4.8 kernel
purrkur
Linux Guru

Post by purrkur »

BTW, does anybody know what the harddrive limit in BIOS is for the BP6???
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd
DerekDRP
Gaming Guru

Post by DerekDRP »

did you enable the lba 3 - 4 ???? you got to do that too.
I lay it out !!!! for you all to play it out !!!! .
Billl

Post by Billl »

purrkur wrote:
kylewo0 wrote:This is what the previous owner of the drive said he did. Tell me what you think
Hmmm. Microsoft bashing is always fun but in this case he isn't really exactly right. I think the limit is with the BIOS and not with Windows. BIOS sets up parameters that ultimately decide how Windows sees your harddrive. If the motherboard and/or BIOS is old then I would put my money on that being the issue.

It actually sucks that Windows relies on BIOS for harddrive information and configuration. Linux doesn't suffer from such legacy stuff. I have a nice Dell Pentium Pro machine here that has a BIOS induced harddrive size limit of 8.4 GB. I only needed to make sure that the bootable partition of Linux was within those 8.4 GB somewhere because after Linux booted up it did away with BIOS and its harddrive limitations. It was running with a 40 GB disk for about 2 years before I downgraded the machine to firewall duties (with a 2 GB disk).
Actually your wrong about Windows XP. It really is a Windows problem. I just built a new machine with a 160 GIG drive and I had to use Partition Magic to get the rest of the drive. Bitch of the thing is you can't use large drives until you put SP1 on and you can't do that until after you have formated and installed the OS. Kind of the chichen and egg thing lol. I had to format it to 137 GIG then install the OS. Put SP1 on and then run Partition Magic to get the rest of the drive. Talk about one big pain in the ass!

Billl
purrkur
Linux Guru

Post by purrkur »

Billl: Yep, of course it becomes a Windows problem now doesn't it if Windows uses the information supplied by BIOS to configure the size of the hard drives now doesn't it? ;) This issue doesn't affect Linux because Linux doesn't care about BIOS values after it has booted up. Well, it could be a Linux problem in a way actually if I would create a boot partition above 137 GB limit and then try to boot it. Since BIOS wouldn't see the boot partition then Linux wouldn't boot.
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd
Billl

Post by Billl »

purrkur wrote:Billl: Yep, of course it becomes a Windows problem now doesn't it if Windows uses the information supplied by BIOS to configure the size of the hard drives now doesn't it? ;) This issue doesn't affect Linux because Linux doesn't care about BIOS values after it has booted up. Well, it could be a Linux problem in a way actually if I would create a boot partition above 137 GB limit and then try to boot it. Since BIOS wouldn't see the boot partition then Linux wouldn't boot.
No it isn't a bios problem. The bios sees the drive at full capacity just fine. It is a brand new board. This is purely a Windows problem in my particular case. After SP1 is installed Windows has no problem with it either. It's just the journey getting there that is tough. In his particular case it will also be a bios problem. Since he is using an old board. So I agree he should go with a Promise card. But he is still going to have problems installing XP on it is he uses it as the boot drive. That was my point.

Billl
purrkur
Linux Guru

Post by purrkur »

Billl wrote: No it isn't a bios problem. The bios sees the drive at full capacity just fine. It is a brand new board. This is purely a Windows problem in my particular case. After SP1 is installed Windows has no problem with it either. It's just the journey getting there that is tough. In his particular case it will also be a bios problem. Since he is using an old board. So I agree he should go with a Promise card. But he is still going to have problems installing XP on it is he uses it as the boot drive. That was my point.
Billl
Ah, sorry Billl. I thought you were refering to BP6 only!! Well, I can only say that there is a good reason to why I stopped using Windows at home more than four years ago. I still use it and work with it at work but there is no way that Gates gets any more of my private money. I have bought only a single Windows version in my life and it will also be the last. If I am paying money for it then it should beat the free stuff hands down (for my use - I don't care about dumbed down stuff and Wizards that hold your hand). Windows doesn't even come close so I am happy to stay where I am!
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd
Billl

Post by Billl »

purrkur wrote:
Billl wrote: No it isn't a bios problem. The bios sees the drive at full capacity just fine. It is a brand new board. This is purely a Windows problem in my particular case. After SP1 is installed Windows has no problem with it either. It's just the journey getting there that is tough. In his particular case it will also be a bios problem. Since he is using an old board. So I agree he should go with a Promise card. But he is still going to have problems installing XP on it is he uses it as the boot drive. That was my point.
Billl
Ah, sorry Billl. I thought you were refering to BP6 only!! Well, I can only say that there is a good reason to why I stopped using Windows at home more than four years ago. I still use it and work with it at work but there is no way that Gates gets any more of my private money. I have bought only a single Windows version in my life and it will also be the last. If I am paying money for it then it should beat the free stuff hands down (for my use - I don't care about dumbed down stuff and Wizards that hold your hand). Windows doesn't even come close so I am happy to stay where I am!
Who said anything about paying for it? Only Lamerz pay for an OS! :rude:

Billl
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

Billl,
you wouldn't be suggesting piracy
There are *almost* no bad BP6s. There are mostly bad caps.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
ViaCPU laptop with Vista.(Works great after bumping ram to 2Gig)
P-III 850@100
Billl

Post by Billl »

davd_bob wrote:Billl,
you wouldn't be suggesting piracy
Moi?

Billl