BP6 shutdown crash problems?

Douglas Finn

BP6 shutdown crash problems?

Post by Douglas Finn »

Hey everyone -- help?

I'm working with a WinXP o/s on a BP6, dual 400mhz Celerons, 256MB memory, and the machine works great.

'Til you try to shut it down: The computer gives the standard message of "Windows is now shutting down", but then completely fails to do so -- hanging on that screen until power is removed from the computer. A ctrl-alt-del will restart the thing, so it's not a hard system crash.

I suspect

If one has any information about this, or has run into this kinda thing in the past, your help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

-Doug,
Greenfield, MA.
hugoc

Post by hugoc »

Did you turn on the power-management options in the BIOS? Check in your device manager - under "Computer" it should say "ACPI Multiprocessor PC." If it doesn't, enable APM/ACPI in the BIOS and then reinstall Windows XP.

Does it say "It is now safe to turn off your computer", or just hang at the "shutting down" screen? I've heard of and seen the latter quite frequently on older installations of Windows 9x, by which I mean "a long time since it was last reinstalled", but not on XP.
BP6, RU BIOS, 2*Celeron 366@550 1.9v
2*GlobalWin FEP32, 512MB PC100 CAS2
GeForce DDR, CMI8738 audio, Accton SMC2-1211TX NIC
Ubuntu Linux, Kernel 2.6.8.1-4-686-smp
Douglas Finn

Post by Douglas Finn »

Hugo, thanks for the note.

In fact, I think ACPI is working properly, although I will check that again.

The sympton is that, on shutdown, the computer locks somewhere around the "Windows is now shutting down" screen. No other symptons are displayed, and the machine is otherwise stable.

I too have run into the issue of seeing the "It's now safe to shut off your computer", and have resolved that problem in the past.

Hrm. I'll see what I can do to find more technical information on the computer, as well.

Tanks in advance...

-d.
hugoc

Post by hugoc »

OK, right before you shut down, please open the task manager and see what processes (not applications) are running. My suspicion is that you have an errant process, perhaps spyware, that's not terminating cleanly and causing the system to hang during shutdown.

You should download, install and update Spybot - Search and Destroy and Lavasoft Ad-Aware, then run them. This'll eliminate virtually any spy-ware.

You should also download and run Hijack This. It'll show you every process that loads at startup, even evil, clever ones that might evade the task manger. Then, if you see anything that shouldn't be there, you can take steps to get rid of it.

If your system won't shut down right after you first boot it, i.e. before you run any apps, I'd look for a process that loads on boot and won't terminate cleanly.
BP6, RU BIOS, 2*Celeron 366@550 1.9v
2*GlobalWin FEP32, 512MB PC100 CAS2
GeForce DDR, CMI8738 audio, Accton SMC2-1211TX NIC
Ubuntu Linux, Kernel 2.6.8.1-4-686-smp
nullshark

Post by nullshark »

On a torpedo to Hell
ASRock 939 Dual Sata II mobo--2x 2200+--2GB RAM--ATI x800XL--2x Seagate Cheetah 15K.3s on LSI 20160 HBA--WD 400GB Caviar RE2, Maxtor 300GB, 3x Maxtor 120+ GB = 1.1TB storage--Sony Dru-820A DVDRW--Diamond Xtreme 7.1 sound--Win XP
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

nullshark wrote:All I can think of is check here:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... duct=winxp
That's quite a bit to think about. :D
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

hugoc wrote:...task manager and see what processes are running.

install and update Spybot - Search and Destroy
and Lavasoft Ad-Aware, then run them. This'll eliminate virtually any spy-ware.

download and run Hijack This. It'll show you every process that loads at startup...
I got both on my PC at work()don't have "Hijack This" yet)
Ad-Aware locates something that it has to delete on the next boot...however the file somehow changes its name or copies itself under a different name or something. 12 times I rebooted into safe-mode and ran Ad-Aware, tracking the malware's name changes. I didn't see a pattern. I also opened the file with wordpad and discovered it was a hi-jacked version of Look2Me.

Any suggestions or can someone tell me where I can find a list of the processes that are necessary for the OS to function correctly?
There are *almost* no bad BP6s. There are mostly bad caps.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
ViaCPU laptop with Vista.(Works great after bumping ram to 2Gig)
P-III 850@100
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

I've attached "HiJack This" for you :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Derek
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

thanks,
There are *almost* no bad BP6s. There are mostly bad caps.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
ViaCPU laptop with Vista.(Works great after bumping ram to 2Gig)
P-III 850@100