wow found a gem

uk101man

wow found a gem

Post by uk101man »

while sorting out my stockpile of computer parts i happen to find a bp6 motherboard.

now my question is, what is the fastest cpu i can drop onto the board. I'm after smp because i want to play around with some sever os (windows and linux)

cheers
Dave Rave
G'Day Mate!

Post by Dave Rave »

std fitting, a ppga 533 celeron
std, vcore at 1.85 - 1.90 v is sufficient to keep temps lower
expect around 35 degrees at idle to 47 depending on how good the cooler is
uk101man

Post by uk101man »

going through the forum people were talking about PIII.

is it worth going this route. would i see a great deal of improvment. I'm going to be playing around with windows sever 2003 and the latest linux (i dont know which one yet)
BCN

Post by BCN »

well, I have one PIII-S running at the moment no top of two adapter without any mods.

after some resoldering and caps changing for stability, i am sure will be able to run both of them for the moment BIOS recognizes both but it is not anything stable in SMP.

Depends how much you want from it and how much you are willing to spend on it.

Yes there is QUITE improvement when running those with 512Kb cache :)

you may put PIII coppermines with 256kb cache but they are more difficult to find and you would have to solder anyway
Dual C366@550MHz 1.90V :) (History)
yet single PIII-S 512Kb L2 cache at 1400MHz@700MHz
BP6 (not modded yet)
256MB PC133 C2
GF4Ti4200-8x
Maxtor 2x60Gb - all on promise ATA133
Lite-On LTR 40125S@48125W!!!
Plus P4 system
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

Doing the mod for P-III is purely up to your attitude for doing it. Do you climb mountains "because they are there" or are you more into looking at the cost vs return aspect.

If you have soldering skills the mods are pretty cheap and not to difficult. If you have to pay someone else to do it, it would be more cost effective to get a board designed for P-III cpus.

By the way,
welcome to BP6.com
There are *almost* no bad BP6s. There are mostly bad caps.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
ViaCPU laptop with Vista.(Works great after bumping ram to 2Gig)
P-III 850@100
uk101man

Post by uk101man »

cheers guys, i think i'll just drop some 533s onto the board for now.

has anyone got hold of an athlon mp system. what are these like?

cheers again
Billl

Post by Billl »

It would seem to me to make a lot more sense to just buy pair of 366's and OC them. At $6.00 a piece it's kind of a no brainer.

Billl
Holodeck2
Modder Extraordinaire

Post by Holodeck2 »

the fastest dual would be to get some 366 and OC them to 550, some people have used oced 400 with some success. those would probility be the fastest and easiest way to SMP

athlon mp systems are just pimp beyond belief, a little harder to OC and they're usually more expensive because the boards are server boards (some are harder to OC than others) and some require ecc enabled ram stick. if you're up to the task you can also use XP chips and just connect the L3 bridges(I think) and trick the board into thinking that they're MP processors.
yea, back from the dead

If it ain't broken, mod it until it is
brian33x51

Post by brian33x51 »

Holodeck2 wrote:the fastest dual would be to get some 366 and OC them to 550, some people have used oced 400 with some success. those would probility be the fastest and easiest way to SMP

athlon mp systems are just pimp beyond belief, a little harder to OC and they're usually more expensive because the boards are server boards (some are harder to OC than others) and some require ecc enabled ram stick. if you're up to the task you can also use XP chips and just connect the L3 bridges(I think) and trick the board into thinking that they're MP processors.
Yup, the L5 mod is golden. My current desktop system is a pair of 2200+XP's on an MSI K7D Master oc'd to 145FSB.

I firmly believe the release of the MP chipset was the first nail in the coffin of the Abit BP6.

right now I have a dead system sitting on my bed....a bp6 I bought originally with a pair of 366's certified to OC to 550. I only ever got them to run stable at 539.... a couple of the caps on the system look like balloons so I'm waiting to hear back about getting a new set. I'd love to resurrect this baby for a cluster I'm building...two dual P3-600's are waiting for this one to come play with them.