Question 366 or 533 celery stalk?

Blueneko
aka Gabumon

Question 366 or 533 celery stalk?

Post by Blueneko »

I do know overclocking 366 @ 550 do bring out more heat, but what if using straight 533 and leave them run at that? or is there more system performance o/c a 366 @ 550 ? :?
please explain
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

The FSB speed of a good 366MHz Cele1 can be taken up to 104MHz fairly easily. Special effort can yield FSB speeds approaching the upper limit of around 110MHz/600MHz internal for both the BP6 & the Cele1 chip core circuitry.
Because the 366 starts with a fairly low internal multiplier, much higher overclocking, by per cent, is possible before the CPU core speed limit of about 600MHz is reached. Thus a Cele1@102MHz FSB gives OC=>
The 533 chips starts so close to the 600 limit zone, that by the time you hit the wall, the front side bus is barely up to 75MHz!
Since the FSB speed directly impacts how fast data gets clocked into and out of the CPU from external memory, this data can move much faster with a 366 Cele1 running At 100FSB/550MHz.
A great copper heatsink & 70mm fan CPU cooler (EverCool 715) can be had for around $20 form nexfan.com, with copper shim too!
Blueneko
aka Gabumon

Post by Blueneko »

wow, thats a mouthful of info, ok ship out the celery 533 on old board, keep 366's and oc, gotcha
thx a lot ^^
Blueneko
aka Gabumon

Post by Blueneko »

About that evercool 715, will that fit a bp6 mobo easily without having to mill away around the edges?
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

It gets wider as it goes up toward the fan, so it appears to have the same footprint as a 60mm fan heatsink. I'll know for sure in a day & post the fit results
Blueneko
aka Gabumon

Post by Blueneko »

RRLedford wrote:It gets wider as it goes up toward the fan, so it appears to have the same footprint as a 60mm fan heatsink. I'll know for sure in a day & post the fit results

Ah yes, I recieved my Evercool 715's today, I plopped them right onto the waiting celerys and right away overclocked them to 550 without any problem, the processors in bios run @ 35/36 celcius with a system temp of 38, (i did place a fan on the green sink on the chipset) and the fans are considerably quiet, looks like the bp6 with the celerys are going to be happy now =)
as RRLedford said, he was correct in how they get wider as they go out, the sinks do come very close to the row of transistors on the top of the board and My bp6 has a raised metal level and it stays clear of the hinge that thrusts upward. =D

The fans went on without hesistation, i didnt have the board out of the case anymore and was a tight fit to squeeze my flatheat screwdriver between case and the fan to make sure the copper clip that holds the sink on, just pushed down easily till i felt it grab, took it away and its ready to rock and roll!
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

Got the first of (2) BP6 systems going with the P-III/1100E single CPU upgrade. LOTS of PROBLEMS!
First - I pulled my (2) Cele1-366s before installing the "Ron's" BP6 BIOS w/P-III support & HPT1.251. No boot with the new P-III 'till I wake up & put a CELE366 back long enough to flash the EPROM.
Then I install the P-III 1100E with EverCool 715 all Copper/70mm fan in the rear socket 370 - no boot & no video & no beeps.
I give up on the rear socket & try it in the front - boots right up & I start with 110MHz FSB.
WinXP-Pro loads up the first time & crashes right after the desktop gets loaded. Subsequent reboots freeze up with the WinXP logo screen & never make it to graphics mode. Progressive slowdowns have me stable at 1045MHz/95MHz FSB. CPU is very COOL & using Artic silver paste.
Scratching my head now to see what's next to get back to 110FSB.
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

If you're up to soldering (2) wires - one for each CPU - the P-III 1100E should work in SMP just as well as the dual 850Es do. The CPU power capacitors/regulator will likely need an upgrade to. I'm giving the single P-III a workout by itself to see how much OCing I can get , before I invest in the 2ND CPU+ Neo370.
I will be doing the tantalum capacitor upgrade of all the CPU capacitors, if I go the Dual P-III route. So, I'd like to know that I can reach at least the 110-124MHz FSB range before I invest all the labor & $ for SMP.
As of now, waiting for new chipset cooler before going back to 119FSB.
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

Most of the BP6 heavyweight OC'ers jumpped on the P-III SMP upgrade early in the game before the 1000E & 1100E chips showed up. So they all seem to be running the 850E pair of CPUs.
My two CPUs that just arrives are "SL..." spec chips, which ARE supposed to be SMP capable. I'm no expert on this question though. Thoughts??
jaybird

PIII "s smp?

Post by jaybird »

To the best of my knowledge ALL PIII 's are SMP enabled!

However, the BX chip set is very heavely taxed when asked to run SMP at or above 100Mhz.

Believe me I know! Once when trying to run my 366's at 110Mhz(605Mhz) I touched my BX chip set(with out extra cooling at the time) and promptly produced a blister on my finger from the heat!

I have since added thermal paste and a 486 fan to the std. heat sink and am now able to run my 366's at 594Mhz, dual, NT4.0 SP5 totally stable(with 605 as an optinon).

I have 3 BP6's that I am playing around with, so far the PIII 850's @ 108 are the most stable. I am now looking into TEC's(peltiers) for both the cpu's as well as the BX chip set which seems to be the most promising(have 2, 1.1Ghz 100FSB units but not installed yet).