Problem with BP6

dow

Problem with BP6

Post by dow »

Hi guys,
I bought a BP6 a couple of years ago, wich I used with dual 433's for some years until I decided that I didnt need it anymore. Now, I have found the old comp in the basement and want to get it running again.
I gave away my cpu's to a friend, so I had to order new ones even to see if the mb was working.
Unfortunately, I forgot about the fcpga/ppga issue, and bought a (cheap, so no worries ;P) 566 instead of a lower one.

Does the board work with one 566? I read somewhere that it did, but I cannot get it working.

I turn the power on, all signals seem to be working, cpu fan starts and all that - but then nothing. No signal to my monitor, no beep...nothing.

I havnt done any updates on my bios in a long while - So I have no idea what state it is in. I tried clearing the ccmos but it had no effect. I tried changing gfx-cards between a few I know that's working and this didnt help either (well, if the gfx-card was the problem I believe I would have had a beep-error - right?)

So, Either the mb doesnt like the CPU, or the mb is done serving me.
I ordered one 533 just in case (hey, $5 on ebay - quite a bargain for that technology really...) and I believe it to be sent to me in like a week or so, so Im gonna test with that too.

Also, I do not know if the 566 Celly works at all ;) since I have no way of testing it elsewhere.

So, to sum up all my questions;
1) Can you boot the mb without ram/a cpu to bios? (this doesnt work for me)
2) Can you run a 566 (single) on the bp6?
3) Do I need to flash my bios to get it going with a 533 Celly?
4) Do you guys have any solution to my problems, or ideas of what
to check with the mb?

Thanks alot!
.dow
BCN

Post by BCN »

answers to your questions:

1.NO
2. Yes, BUT with FCPGA to PPGA adapter as powerleap Neo S370
3.No, but it is always nice to have the latest - RV for me is the most stable at the moment. Besides it seems BIOS has to have new microcodes for the new processors to work, so flash it with a new one. you can find it on this site :)
4. all of the above. it might be your mobo still works fine and I would guess so.
Dual C366@550MHz 1.90V :) (History)
yet single PIII-S 512Kb L2 cache at 1400MHz@700MHz
BP6 (not modded yet)
256MB PC133 C2
GF4Ti4200-8x
Maxtor 2x60Gb - all on promise ATA133
Lite-On LTR 40125S@48125W!!!
Plus P4 system
dow

Post by dow »

BCN wrote: 3.No, but it is always nice to have the latest - RV for me is the most stable at the moment. Besides it seems BIOS has to have new microcodes for the new processors to work, so flash it with a new one. you can find it on this site :)
I didnt really get that;
I can get it going with a 500 without flashing, allthough I will want to update the bios so it supports newer processors? Accordning to my Manual, the 500 isnt supported (or well, It didnt excist back then)...So shouldnt it be concidered a "new cpu"... as in, I need to update my bios to get it going? Can you explain that, please?

And thanks alot for the response! Phew, I would love to get this box running again ;)

.dow
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

dow,
the BP6 will run on 300-533 Celeron mendocino(sp) core chips without anything special. There may be a batch of 366s heading to BP6 website you could purchase a couple maybe.
The celeron you got was the copermine series and only will work, with an adaptor and a BIOS update to RV.
Depending on where you live, you may just want to checkout getting a couple of the older cpus from ebay or some other source to get the mobo back into service.
If you don't like that idea is suppose I would could be persuaded to take the board off your hands. HaHa. Just joking, cause unless the caps are bulging or leaking the board is worth something, i just dont have the resources to offer anything.
Thanks,
David
(
There are *almost* no bad BP6s. There are mostly bad caps.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
ViaCPU laptop with Vista.(Works great after bumping ram to 2Gig)
P-III 850@100
Dave Rave
G'Day Mate!

Post by Dave Rave »

the bp6's ppga celerons are like your 400s
inch square pale heat spreader on the cpu.

your 566 is a fc-pga, green back with a small hard cut shoulder about 6mm x 4mm (?)

without mods, the bp6 will go up to a 533 in a ppga
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Post by InactiveX »

davd_bob wrote:The celeron you got was the copermine series and only will work, with an adaptor and a BIOS update to RV.
An update to RV should not be necessary. RU should do fine.
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

InactiveX wrote:
davd_bob wrote:The celeron you got was the copermine series and only will work, with an adaptor and a BIOS update to RV.
An update to RV should not be necessary. RU should do fine.
my bad
There are *almost* no bad BP6s. There are mostly bad caps.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
ViaCPU laptop with Vista.(Works great after bumping ram to 2Gig)
P-III 850@100
dow

Post by dow »

OK, I've changed the cpu, to a 500. I tried it today,
but got the same response as before
(fans go on, no beep, no screen, no nothing...)

Here's what I've got:
Bp6 rev 1.0
1 celeron 500 MHz
Memory & a gfx-card

I've tried this with a couple of memory sticks that I know work, and 3 different graphicscards, (both agp and pci), on different slots.
I've checked the battery and all caps - and that seems fine.
I've cleared the board from dust, and searched it for burned circuits etc,
but havnt found anything odd.

Im guessing this is a bios issue.
I would love some idea's of what to check, and how to check them ;)
And, where can you reflash/buy a new bios-chip?

.dow
Dave Rave
G'Day Mate!

Post by Dave Rave »

I'm thinking it might be a dead board.
I've looked at my boards, and the first I tried, same as yours, no beep, no screen, nothing, but the cpu fans do turn on....
my 2nd board is back up and running, still working fine after 6 months, still with the right date / time too !!! most impressed.
dow

Post by dow »

yeah might be.
I've decided to buy a new board and try that.
Then, switch the bios between the boards to see if
it was a bios related problem. If it is - then I can go and by myself
a new bios chip for ~$15 and have 2 boards, and if it wasnt ... well then I have a new board that *is* working to play with ;)
So, if you skip the $$-part, its a win-win situation ;P