Boot from cd-rom

helionfilm

Boot from cd-rom

Post by helionfilm »

Hi there.

I'm trying to install win xp on my computer with an Abit bp6 motherboard, but i can't make it boot from my cd (same problem with all cd's i know is bootable)... I have also testet 3 different cd drives, but nothing helps.

I upgradet to the newest bios, but it didn't help either..

Hope somebody can tell me what i do wrong (i have set up the boot sequens correctly)..

Best regards Kent.
hugoc

Post by hugoc »

Where's your CD-ROM attached? If it's on the HPT366 controller, put it on the ATA33 controller instead - I've never been able to get an optical drive on the 366 to boot.

Assuming it's on the ATA33, make sure the master/slave is set correctly and then set it to "auto" in the BIOS configuration (enter the option that's initially highlighted after you enter BIOS setup) so it sets up properly after POST. Then go back out, select the entry below and make sure your boot sequence starts with "CDROM" e.g. "CDROM, C, A". Then put your bootable CD in and reboot. It should work fine.

It is possible to boot a BP6 with a CD, I do it all the time. Have you double-checked the CD-ROM is bootable by trying it on another computer? It's probably not an issue if it's a WinXP CD or similar, but if it's a bootable CD you made yourself it's always possible you made a mistake burning it - did you try to make a bootable WinXP CD streamlined with SP1 or anything?

If you have everything set up correctly and it still won't boot, please post whatever messages you get so that we can get more info on what the issue might be.
BP6, RU BIOS, 2*Celeron 366@550 1.9v
2*GlobalWin FEP32, 512MB PC100 CAS2
GeForce DDR, CMI8738 audio, Accton SMC2-1211TX NIC
Ubuntu Linux, Kernel 2.6.8.1-4-686-smp
Holodeck2
Modder Extraordinaire

Post by Holodeck2 »

hugoc covered it
postcount++ :mrgreen:
yea, back from the dead

If it ain't broken, mod it until it is
BCN

Post by BCN »

oh, besides, you can still boot from CD from promise controller :)
Dual C366@550MHz 1.90V :) (History)
yet single PIII-S 512Kb L2 cache at 1400MHz@700MHz
BP6 (not modded yet)
256MB PC133 C2
GF4Ti4200-8x
Maxtor 2x60Gb - all on promise ATA133
Lite-On LTR 40125S@48125W!!!
Plus P4 system
helionfilm

Post by helionfilm »

Hi again, folks.

Thanks very much for the reply. I found the reason why it wouldn't boot... I needed to set the IDE controllers to "Auto" in bios - So now it boots fine :-)

Don't know if I should open an other question, but I have an even bigger problem...:

The installation runs fine until it restarts the computer. After the first boot, it shows "missing OS". I've tryid an Fdisk/mbr and to transfer some new bootfiles with sys c: - bit nothing helps
Holodeck2
Modder Extraordinaire

Post by Holodeck2 »

checking the settings in bios and make sure the ata settings are right, try moving it on the ata33 controller
yea, back from the dead

If it ain't broken, mod it until it is
helionfilm

Post by helionfilm »

I am using the ata33 controller now and i have tryied all the bios'es on the website (RV, RU etc..).

I have seen many with the same problem and they have solved it, but the solutions they used, somehow, doesn't work on my system..

I'll check the settings for the ata controller ones more and then return.

Thanks until now :-)
Kent.
BCN

Post by BCN »

never really had this problem... hm....

maybe you should reformat your HDD and check for BADs then if they are there go to low level format... Just a guess...
Dual C366@550MHz 1.90V :) (History)
yet single PIII-S 512Kb L2 cache at 1400MHz@700MHz
BP6 (not modded yet)
256MB PC133 C2
GF4Ti4200-8x
Maxtor 2x60Gb - all on promise ATA133
Lite-On LTR 40125S@48125W!!!
Plus P4 system
Dave Rave
G'Day Mate!

Post by Dave Rave »

would you be using an older cd-rom that is lying around ?

old cd-roms, around 24x and earlier, aren't very good at reading modern cd's.
my old P133, making my smoothwall box, it's cd-rom has to floppy boot to load.
needs to be about 40x or later.......
helionfilm

Post by helionfilm »

Hi everyone.

Now I have found the reason... It was my harddisk that should be set up for 32 gb buffer. I moved a jumper and suddently it booted up perfectly..

Actually, I'm very surprised about how good the board runs i XP (only 2*366 Mhz Celeron 320 mb of ram..)

Thanks very much for your help :-)

Kent.
Dave Rave
G'Day Mate!

Post by Dave Rave »

hmmm, 32gb buffer

I don't htink you mentioned yet, how big is this hard drive ?
and of course, you have to have the ide detection routine run if you change hard drive, or set it to auto.

btw, MAKE SURE, if you set auto on the left, make sure the right side is set to auto too.
I've seen a board with the right side set to poi or the other one.
naro

Post by naro »

helionfilm wrote:Hi everyone.

Now I have found the reason... It was my harddisk that should be set up for 32 gb buffer. I moved a jumper and suddently it booted up perfectly..

Actually, I'm very surprised about how good the board runs i XP (only 2*366 Mhz Celeron 320 mb of ram..)

Thanks very much for your help :-)

Kent.
i'm oso running WinXP on BP6 with 256mb of rams..

i find it amazing that BP6 can work so fast in Win XP..
the_yeti

Post by the_yeti »

I hve the same problem when I install the OS, I have on ATA33 cable :
1 Master : 40 GO Seagate
1 Slave : DVDROM ASUS
2 Master : CDRW ASUS
2 Slave : DVD-RW ASUS

Each time I will install the OS (for Me windows 2003) I must disconnect all others optical drivers in order to boot on the install CD-ROM. I just keep
1 Master HDD et 1 Slave DVD-ROM

Nerver know why ??
BP6, RU BIOS, 2*466 MHZ, 768Mo SD-RAM, GF4 Ti 4200, Promise IDE 133 Card and 4*120 Hitachi HDD + 40 Go System disk + DVD + CR-RW + DVD-+RW ... System Windows 2003 Server ... work's sooooooooooo gooooooood !!!
hugoc

Post by hugoc »

It seems to me that it decides which optical drive it would like to use on an arbitrary basis. I have a CDRW on the ATA33 and a CD-ROM on SCSI, and if I boot from a CD on the ATA33 it will continue using that drive and refuses to recognise any media in the SCSI CD-ROM, but if I boot from floppy, it'll claim it can't find installation media until I put it in the SCSI drive and will ignore the IDE one.

I think perhaps it just loads and detects the SCSI driver first, or something, and then doesn't bother to load an ATAPI one. But if you boot off an IDE CD, it has to load ATAPI, and then it doesn't bother to load SCSI drivers. Just my guess.

So when you try to boot off optical, have you tried the boot media in each drive in turn? I think that it isn't always logical in deciding which drive is the bootable one, or it doesn't scan all of them, or something.
BP6, RU BIOS, 2*Celeron 366@550 1.9v
2*GlobalWin FEP32, 512MB PC100 CAS2
GeForce DDR, CMI8738 audio, Accton SMC2-1211TX NIC
Ubuntu Linux, Kernel 2.6.8.1-4-686-smp
helionfilm

Post by helionfilm »

Dave Rave wrote:hmmm, 32gb buffer

I don't htink you mentioned yet, how big is this hard drive ?
and of course, you have to have the ide detection routine run if you change hard drive, or set it to auto.

btw, MAKE SURE, if you set auto on the left, make sure the right side is set to auto too.
I've seen a board with the right side set to poi or the other one.
I think I was a little to quick in my statement about the buffer on my harddrive... It says "32 Gb clip". To be honest, I don't have a clue what it means and what it does to the harddisk ??

By the way, the harddisk is an IBM Deskstar 120 Gb.

I have had problems using this disk on my other pc (P4 2.66 Ghz) - I guess that may be solved now as well :-)

I'm a little unsure what you mean by left and right side?? Is it the IDE 1 and 2 you are refering to ??

Kent.
Dave Rave
G'Day Mate!

Post by Dave Rave »

the 32gb jumper on the drive will limit your drive to being a 32gb, waste of 90odd gb of space

left and right was referring to your view in the bios setup screen
helionfilm

Post by helionfilm »

Hmm... Sounds strange. When the jumper is set I still have the 120 Gb space in Xp...
Dave Rave
G'Day Mate!

Post by Dave Rave »

that would be because you set the fdisk parameters when it wasn't set. the hdd is already defined.

try it with a blank drive, set it, and see how much drive you get then ;l-)
helionfilm

Post by helionfilm »

So that means that i can use it with the full capasity without any problems.. ??If this setting is not set, I can't boot from the disk at all..