Power probs

roger

Power probs

Post by roger »

went to install new drives last weekend, accidently pulled the power lead from the PSU whilst putting the case down on the bench to work on - from that day onwards no power, nothing
i've read a couple of related threads regarding capacitors, what do i need to look for? i took the board out and inspected it closely, couldn't see anything immediate to mind.
thought it was the PSU, went and grabbed a new one, installed it and got nothing.
Any advice greatly appreciated, thanx in advance.
Holodeck2
Modder Extraordinaire

Post by Holodeck2 »

power surge probility blew a power transister, is the switch plugged into the right socket on the board?
what do you mean by pulling the power leads, the AC cord or the ATX connector to the board?
yea, back from the dead

If it ain't broken, mod it until it is
roger

Post by roger »

by pulling the lead i managed to pull the three pin mains plug out of the back of the computer, not the main board 20 pin plug.
computer then switched off as it would. i then plugged the mains lead back into the computer (psu) flicked the switch and got nothing.
i haven't tested the board as to be honest i don't know what to look for other than burning around capacitors or something fairly obvious, but i couldn't see anything immediate - is there anything fairly straight forward i can do myself to check?
like i say i've tried a new psu admittedly unbranded but more to see if i had lunched the psu but still nothing.
again cheers in advance

rog(UK) [/b]
Holodeck2
Modder Extraordinaire

Post by Holodeck2 »

that shouldn't kill the board, try double checking all connections and make sure your AC socket didn't blow.
pulling the mains is just like a black out it shouldn't have any bad effects on it.
make sure that you're voltage is set right to 220
yea, back from the dead

If it ain't broken, mod it until it is
24seven
IRC Lurker

Post by 24seven »

Could try unpluging it again, pressing the power switch to dicharge the PSU, then plug it back in.

If its a PSU with a power switch on then turn it to off before plugging the power in.

Some PSU's if they have a problem and cut out will latch off until you unplug them again.