used board, want to cook cpu's, speak now please

Blueneko
aka Gabumon

used board, want to cook cpu's, speak now please

Post by Blueneko »

I am now an owner of the infamious abit BP6 motherboard. I purchased one off ebay with dual 366 celerys, I am open eared on whats to come from everyone or no one. I am new here so Im welcoming myself thx..
Ive been reading a lot about these, and I do work with computers everyday, I havent really ever overclocked anything, so I spent what few bucks I could for some old board (dont have much better hobbies), and willing to test the maxium outer brim of some old board that ive heard so much hype about. I still have yet to reciecve my board (most likely tommorrow)
so, im open to suggestions on overclocking (since I do not have any warrenty what so ever) Going for cpu temp at a minimal hopefully, speed and some kind of box that I can sweat a celery.

so let the recomendations/tweaking/whatever it is you guys do....
BEGIN!

:D
Blueneko
aka Gabumon

Re: used board, want to cook cpu's, speak now please

Post by Blueneko »

gabumon wrote:I am now an owner of the infamious abit BP6 motherboard. I purchased one off ebay with dual 366 celerys, I am open eared on whats to come from everyone or no one. I am new here so Im welcoming myself thx..
Ive been reading a lot about these, and I do work with computers everyday, I havent really ever overclocked anything, so I spent what few bucks I could for some old board (dont have much better hobbies), and willing to test the maxium outer brim of some old board that ive heard so much hype about. I still have yet to reciecve my board (most likely tommorrow)
so, im open to suggestions on overclocking (since I do not have any warrenty what so ever) Going for cpu temp at a minimal hopefully, speed and some kind of box that I can sweat a celery. (If you have anything to say about p3, shoot)
so let the recomendations/tweaking/whatever it is you guys do....
BEGIN!

:D
onelegdis

Post by onelegdis »

Go to the front page of this site and have look at some of the links and "how to's". Pay particular attention to "BX chipset cooling". Good luck and enjoy.
e.lectronick

Hey, Welcome to the Madhouse

Post by e.lectronick »

Welcome to the fringe of insanity.
We here are stubborn, cantankerous old cranks who can't seem to let go of our old, and still relatively "Superior" BX chipsets, and multiple processing on the cheap.
I'm just a novice, myself, but something about squeezing 550MHz @ 100MHz Front Side Bus speeds (generally what you can expect from 366 Celerons) really appeals to the beachcomber/dumpster diver in me. I like sticking it to Intel and Microsoft. It's sure a whole lot more satisfying than spending big $ on the newest and bestest systems on the market.
I think you'll agree. Besides, there are diminishing returns as computers get really fast. Who needs a 4GHz system to play Quake III anyway?
Now, if you're running weather pattern modeling software, that might be a different story...
Anyways, down to the goodies. I'm using Golden Orbs to cool my 366 Celerons, and they're really good. They're also really quiet compared to the big monster GlobalWin Heatsink/fan combinations some people run. I used to have a pair of FOP32 (biggest and meanest at the time) coolers, and I couldn't hear the subtleties of my games -even with headphones on- for all the noise they made. The Golden Orb coolers are way better. You can find a link to modding them to fit the BP6 on the homepage. The address for part 1 is:
http://bp6.gamesquad.net/orbs.phtml
and part 2 is:
http://bp6.gamesquad.net/orbs/orbs2.phtml
I would also recommend cooling your chipset with a fan instead of the little "greenie" heatsink on the board. I use a neat little fan/heatsink Called the BGA cooler from Tennmax. The website is:
http://www.tennmax.com/443bx/agp_cooler.htm. They also sell similar coolers for video boards.
Finally, get yourself some really good thermal paste to smush in between the heatsinks and the surface they are attached to. This allows much more efficient heat transfer between the chip and the sink. You'll drop several degrees with good stuff like Arctic Silver paste:
http://www.arcticsilver.com/as3.htm . This is good, because heat is your ememy, here and you'll probably need to goose the voltages to your CPUs to get them to run and be stable at those speeds. Mine are up at 2.20v each.
While there are many various approaches to your overclocking adventure, these are just the ones I've opted for. You may find that you want to use different products. There are many newer cooling solutions out there which may be better/quieter/cheaper, but these have worked for me, and my machine is *rock* stable with my 366 Celerons running at 550MHz each with 100MHz FSB.
Enjoy. And welcome.
-Erik.
"Who put the Tribbles in the Quadrotriticale?"