vp6 and the bulging cap problem

bwi

vp6 and the bulging cap problem

Post by bwi »

I have just recieved a vp6 to replace my departed bp6 but it looks like some of the caps are bulging.

I've had a search through the forums for topics and found a few that mention how people replaced the caps. But, i never really found any info about values of the caps (although a couple were mentioned) and wether they replaced all or just the bulging ones.

I'm based in the UK so if anyone knows what the items are i can dive in maplins and get replacement caps

thanks

Bri
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

i replied to this a few minutes ago but looks like i dumped the comments instead of submitting them.

check out
motherboardrepair.com
badcaps.com

i have the same problem on my bp6. some bulging, some leaking, some look ok.

seems like everyone says if any are bad replace them all.
i contacted "jackson" who supplied abit with caps. they replied asking me for a shipping address. so far nothing has been received but only been a week or so since i gave them an address. they didn't mention any cost so if i get them looks like they are no charge. if you want a quick source and are willing to pay...the above web sites will send capkits for the board or you can send it in for them to repair. there is another possability...contact abit and they may RMA the board for repair. looks like no cost for that, or they may charge $25 but you would ship the board to abit and it could take several weeks.

has anyone here replaced the caps themself? i expect to do my own repair and have done some electronic repair in the past but only have a 15watt iron. somewhere i read that 50watt is the minimum that will work since the holes are through a multi-layered board. any advice on this would be appreciated.
There are *almost* no bad BP6s. There are mostly bad caps.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
ViaCPU laptop with Vista.(Works great after bumping ram to 2Gig)
P-III 850@100
Nutz

Post by Nutz »

Got this pro digital Weller solder station so thats no problem but just removed a few caps and seems like I another smaller tip for my pen, this is aprox 2mm wide and too big.
Those holes are plated? but it's no problem if you have the right tip and perhaps a little more then 15w. And, dunno the english word, but its a small tool that sucks up the solder when its melted, this really helps. Otherwise use elektrolube which is fine copper strands weaved together that absorbs the solder when hot enough.
I'm buying caps tomorrow, RMA is not an option coz I live in Denmark and that would take forever and would cost way to much compared to doing it myself.
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Post by InactiveX »

Nutz wrote:And, dunno the english word, but its a small tool that sucks up the solder when its melted, this really helps.
Desoldering pump.
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

InactiveX wrote:
Nutz wrote:And, dunno the english word, but its a small tool that sucks up the solder when its melted, this really helps.
Desoldering pump.
solder sucker (hehe)
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

Nutz wrote:I'm buying caps tomorrow
the right kind of caps have been kind of hard to buy of the shelf here in the states. where are you getting them, what value ranges, for what board and how many of each? are you gonna try get pictures of the process?
also if it is still bootable get the system temps(in C not F) before and after.

it is usually recomended to get "low esr aluminum electrolytic caps"

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
P-III 850@100
Nutz

Post by Nutz »

Mailed a shop and was told that they might have em but that I should bring one by the shop but things got a little hectic today so I was unable. Will try tomorrow. Mailed another shop today also.
Its a BP6 and if theres any interest then Ill take some photos if possible.
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

HEY ALL
I GOT SOME CAPS FROM JACKSON. :bounce: :bananadance: :cheers:

i just moved and gave my mom-in-laws address. she said she got a "bag" yesterday and i havent had a chance to check out the contents yet. wow,

when i do the repair i will try get temps before and after, and pics of the caps before and after.
should i get anything else?
i will let everyone know asap what jackson sent to me FREE :coolman: in less then 2 weeks from when i first contacted them.

david

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
P-III 850@100
Nutz

Post by Nutz »

http://www.jackcon.com.tw/

Found this site, is that where you got yours from?
http://www.jackcon.com.tw/lse.htm <- Believe those are the ones used on our BP6's. If so, with that " 105℃, 2000~4000hours assured " rating, no wonder caps are going off now. I mean, even at like 40c, after something like 4-5 years those suckers have to be a little warn out.

Just mailed them now, asking about 1500uf 6.3 and 1000uf 10v. Like quantities and if its possible for me to buy as a private person. Turned out that those ppl in the shop were full of BS. Only had 1000uf 10v and 1200 6.3 that were to large.

Im hoping they respond quickly and are positive, maybe even send me a bunch of caps too :wink:
If I have to buy any larger quantity then Ill be looking for ppl here in scandinavia or something thats in need.
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

Nutz wrote:http://www.jackcon.com.tw/

Found this site, is that where you got yours from?
Nutz,
yes thats the site. right now im so excited if i was a little dog i would be running around looking for somplace to pee. :bounce:

here is what happened to me so far.
:arrow: 2/17 3:00am USA time i e-mailed Jackson from the link on their website stating i had a bp6 with bad caps and requesting 12ea of the 6.3v 1500uf, and 12ea 10v 1000uf and whatever value that ec10 cap is but said i wanted to use a different value for that cap.
:arrow: 2/17 7:00pm Jackson had replied asking for an address
:arrow: 2/17 7:20pm i replied with an address
:arrow: 3/1 received via snail mail a package with 15ea of the 6.3v 1500uf and 15ea 10v 1000uf
neither i nor jackson ever mentioned payment

:?: can anyone tell me if there is already a post with the repair on this website? if not i will (or you can,Nutz) start a "HOW TO" post on capicitor replacement. it should include how to contact Jackson, what equipment skill is needed, the actual procedure step by step, and before/after temps and pictures. maybe it can be listed in the INTERESTING TOPICS section.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
P-III 850@100