256sticks bring seen as 128mb!

p3n1x

256sticks bring seen as 128mb!

Post by p3n1x »

so basically i get a new 256mb stick of pc133 ram....i already have a stick of 256mb in there and its seen and reported correctly.
but this new stick(and 2 others i brougth home from work) the bios and windows only see 128mb of it, but if i load up cpu-z it says theyre 256mb ram....

why doesnt the bios or windows see them as 256mb......ive tried 2 diff sticks, all are seen as 128mb, but this one stick of 256mb is seen fine in all 3 slots as well. and reported correctly all around

i have 1 stick left at work, that i havnt tried, which i will bring home tommorw and try....

one thing to note, is im using that new RV bios(the one with the penguin logo) i used to use the modified ru bios.....anyhow....this is bothersome!

any tips? flash bios again maybe?
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Post by InactiveX »

This should explain what is going on

http://www.bp6.com/board/viewtopic.php? ... ht=density

I suspect CPU-Z is taking its reading from the stick's ID chip, rather than measuring what can be written to, so it is reporting the correct module size even though you will only ever be able to use half in the BP6.
Like BP6.com? Not a member?
Then why the hell not? It's great!
-> BP6.com Membership <-
p3n1x

Post by p3n1x »

somehow i was thinking that
the one 256 stick that works has memory on both sides the stick, the ones that dont work have memory on one side....thatd explain it....well DAYUM! theres 1 stick left i can chec k out but ah well if it doesnt fuk it
i guyess my work pc gets more ram, wow