capacitor c98 & overheating southbridge

schonwoi

capacitor c98 & overheating southbridge

Post by schonwoi »

hi everyone!
I'm posting here on the forum for a last try to get my good old BP6 running again.. somehow I was ways too clumsy while preparing it to be my new internet router..
1. I was the dumbass to "remove" the condensator C98 on it by accident (please don't ask how).. :(
Well I wouldn't mind it, but the board does ;) : So what's wrong now is that one of the cpu-fans doesn't get power, supposely for the broken capacitor. Well I'm absolutely not an electronic freak, but I AM desperatly motivated to fix it again, I need the capacity of this piece to be able to make it work again.. would anyone be so kind to tell me what capacity it is? perhaps someone could measure it? is there any official datasheet of the bp6 where to get informations like this?

2. As if it wouldn't be already enough, the beloved bp6 doesn't show any graphic output after being powered-up.. some investigations in the web told me it could be a defect capacitor problem.. I will check that when I'm at home again. Note that I also burned my fingers touching the intel-southbridghe chip.. absolutely NOT normal I guess ;)
Anyone had this problem yet?

I'm happy for all suggestions as I'm new to motherboard-fixing in the electronical way.. thanks for your help!!

Greetings
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

Sounds like the board has bad caps all around.
There are options but you probably want to call Abit RMA at 1-510-492-0882.
You will be out shipping costs and loose the board for a couple weeks.
There are *almost* no bad BP6s. There are mostly bad caps.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
ViaCPU laptop with Vista.(Works great after bumping ram to 2Gig)
P-III 850@100
Holodeck2
Modder Extraordinaire

Post by Holodeck2 »

look around the board and see what size caps are around it. if nothing else is affected then just runs the fan off of a powersupply molex

can the video be connected with your missing capacitor? what happened did you just rip it off and leave 2 prong thing on the board?
yea, back from the dead

If it ain't broken, mod it until it is