power on after power loss?

scrounger

power on after power loss?

Post by scrounger »

I found a couple of these boards (discarded desktops) and am considering turning them into small servers. The first thing I checked was "what happens if they lose power?" What I found was regardless of the BIOS setting (power on, off, or last state), the system remained off after power loss until the case front power button was pressed. Is this a fault in early BP6 revisions, perhaps just a problem in an early BIOS, or are they all like this and incapable of coming back on their own from power loss?
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

Check out this post in the FAQ section:

http://www.bp6.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=926
-Derek
scrounger

Post by scrounger »

excellent. I'll have to give it another try then. I just took out the board and verified that jp1 is not properly set.

Thanks.
scrounger

Post by scrounger »

Unfortunately, now that I've moved my test system onto this board, I've found that any serious disk i/o (i.e. dd if=/dev/hdblah of=/dev/null bs=8192) will lock it up instantly. The disk I'm testing with is ATA133 compatible, and I've tried it on both the ATA33 IDE1 and the ATA66 IDE3. There may be a reason this board was discarded :(
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

scrounger wrote:Unfortunately, now that I've moved my test system onto this board, I've found that any serious disk i/o (i.e. dd if=/dev/hdblah of=/dev/null bs=8192) will lock it up instantly. The disk I'm testing with is ATA133 compatible, and I've tried it on both the ATA33 IDE1 and the ATA66 IDE3. There may be a reason this board was discarded :(
I would pick up a PCI IDE controller if the onboard connectors are found to be the problem.