BP6 on with no keyboard & mouse, may it work?

Homer S.

BP6 on with no keyboard & mouse, may it work?

Post by Homer S. »

Hi,

I decided to switch to a new PC using Abit IC7 :wink:, but I mean to keep my older BP6-based one as it works fine. My project is to keep them both up and running and networked by Ethernet (cross cable). They'll both run Linux only (get rid of Windows at last :!:).
Both PCs are in a tower case: I'll put my BP6'd leaned horizontally on a shelf close to my workstation, and my IC7'd standing under that, just in the place where the former was before.

What I'd like to do is, connecting keyboard and mouse (both Logitech USB) to IC7'd, and access to BP6'd by network (telnet, ssh, ftp, Samba and so on) only. I know there's no trouble for monitor, but I'm not sure BP6 will boot OK if it finds no keyboard and mouse connected. I could even buy a 2-way switch, and perhaps I'll do if I can't fix it like this.
I've been seeking for my BP6 manual, but couldn't find items that were certainly related to this issue (only a topic for USB keyboard enabling).

Anybody is using a BP6 with no keyboard/mouse attached (server-like configuration, I suppose)? How do I set up this in my BIOS?
Tnx in advance.
Homer S.
onelegdis

Post by onelegdis »

Hi Homer S, My BP6 is keyboard and monitorless. Its been a long time since ive been in to the bios but i think i set "halt- on no errors"
24seven
IRC Lurker

Post by 24seven »

I too run my BP6 with no keyboard, mouse or moniter (Headless). Onelegdis is correct, there is setting in the Bios to do with the boot errors, this will need changing so it dosent halt on any errors.
Like onelegdis I havent been in the bios for a long time, kinda hard with no moniter or keyboard, so I dont know the exact setting.
Homer S.

Post by Homer S. »

Thank you all for your help, I'll try ASAP.
Homer S.
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

One other setting to consider is the one that controls what to do if power is interrupted - set this to boot up after power lost. Then you just have to cycle the power swith once to get a fresh boot.
Zero point energy
kuun
Post-O-Matic

Post by kuun »

hehehe

well, mine don't power on on power fail...

i've lost a few Hard drives to that..

i had the pwoer flicker about 50 times in a day once... it kinds killed the hdd.... all 4 of em
!!! WARNING !!!
The following forums: www.bp6.com
are infected with the following VIRUS(s): Kuun.infected.all.posts.Win2K.user

The following IRC servers has been exploited: irc.bp6.com
with the Following Exploit: Kuun.lurks.using.mIRC.v5.82.exploit
PDR60

Post by PDR60 »

kuun wrote:hehehe

well, mine don't power on on power fail...

i've lost a few Hard drives to that..

i had the pwoer flicker about 50 times in a day once... it kinds killed the hdd.... all 4 of em

Man thats a tuff one. All 4 at once. I too run my bp6 headless. It does fine. i just ssh into it and do what I need. Although I don't remember the last tme i was in it. Its a file server for the kids mp3's. just set up your samba and forget it. i update it for security but that takes about 5 min a month. The BP6 just sits their like an old friend and keeps on doing its thing.
kuun
Post-O-Matic

Post by kuun »

right now

my bp6 servers as a SCSI server and a nice pretty looking oversized HEATER :P

it sits right next to my main machine (my bp6 was my main machine until about 2 months ago when i built my duron system) and it runs seti and win2K atm i use it to store music and videos and such on

yeah loosing 4 drives all at once was serious... good thing they were all small 1-3 gigs

still 1-3 gig drives serve as real good OS drives (i HATE keeping an os on the drive that has alot of data... never know when the OS will go PFFT and you'll have to format... PLUS small hdd's are relatively easy to format... and let me tell you... they take a noticable FRACTION of the time...

i wasn't too pissed cause my scsi survived by but loss of drives is still never a good thing... loss of scsi is like loosing your best friend.....

some ppl go nuts if they have to push the power button a few times... me.. it's simple.. and im willing to spend the time it takes to do whatever to make my BP6 work like i want it to...
!!! WARNING !!!
The following forums: www.bp6.com
are infected with the following VIRUS(s): Kuun.infected.all.posts.Win2K.user

The following IRC servers has been exploited: irc.bp6.com
with the Following Exploit: Kuun.lurks.using.mIRC.v5.82.exploit