This week I have mostly been...

24seven
IRC Lurker

Post by 24seven »

Drinking, playing CS:S and doing uni work.

How about you?
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Post by InactiveX »

Sleeping, drinking, cannibalising old PCs, tidying the flat, painting and decorating, reading the papers, worrying about bills.
Like BP6.com? Not a member?
Then why the hell not? It's great!
-> BP6.com Membership <-
Dave Rave
G'Day Mate!

Post by Dave Rave »

tidying !?!
hand in your gamers / PC fixer / geek badge boy!
there will be no tidying on my watch!!!
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Post by InactiveX »

Whooops! Sorry Sir!

I must say though, it's most unlike me to tidy, and the place still looks in a right state. But I was getting embarassed asking people over. :oops:
-> BP6.com Membership <-
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

Working, sleeping, eating, drinking, PCing and tax returning. :lol:

Oh, and tidying. Sorry, Dave Rave ! Had to find informations for tax returning.
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
purrkur
Linux Guru

Post by purrkur »

For the past two weeks I have been tuning Windows 2003 Enterprise server and SQL Server 2000 Enterprise and Linux SLES 9.0 along with Sybase ASE on a couple of fat 4x3.0GHz CPU IBM machine with 8GB memory and a Fibre Channel backend with 28 disks in it set up in a dual RAID 0 with 14 disks each. The reason for the tuning was to test our software on Linux vs Windows to see what OS/database does better. I have also been setting up those machines along with a bunch of dual CPU workstations >2.4GHz into a setup where we will test and demo a grid solution for financial calculations. I'll by flying down to IBM in Germany come Monday to continue the work. It has been a very interesting week, needless to say.

My older daughter also turned 5 yesterday so my wife and I have been busy with preparations and parties.

Oh, you are probably wondering how the tests went. I don't want to publicly humiliate Bill Gates but let me say that when Microsoft comes with another prepaid study saying that Windows is faster, I can say that I got the proof that shows that they not telling the truth :) The speed difference was 11% at the lowest and when things turned really ugly, Linux and Sybase ASE were doing things almost twice as fast.
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd
Debian Linux stable with 2.4.8 kernel
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Post by InactiveX »

You never miss an OS bashing opportunity eh, purrkur? :twisted:

Happy birthday for your daughter yesterday.

-> BP6.com Membership <-
purrkur
Linux Guru

Post by purrkur »

Thanks a lot! I showed my daughter the pic and she thought it was great. She also asked why it had more than five candles :)

As for the bashing, I wouldn't call it that anymore. I tried my best to get both operating systems and databases to deliver their best. I honestly did because this was my big chance to see if what I have "felt" all along is correct or not. I have never been able to back up my feelings with facts, but now I do :) I consider bashing to be mindless anti-talk about an OS based on everything but fact.

I still don't mind Windows. I still think we should work with that platform at work because we have customers (mostly the small ones) that are Windows only shops. We need to cater to their needs as well. But now I can finally have these performance discussions with people and base my conclusions on facts rather than feelings.
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Post by InactiveX »

Hey, I was only messing! I know you're not one of the "mindless" types!

Windows gets on my nerves but I have to use it because I write and produce music. It's either MS or MacOS, and I've never really got on with Macs. There are some very exciting developments happening in the Linux audio field, but it'll be quite some time before it's a viable option for me. I just wish Be Inc. had never gone the way it did. :(
-> BP6.com Membership <-
purrkur
Linux Guru

Post by purrkur »

InactiveX wrote:Hey, I was only messing! I know you're not one of the "mindless" types!
Hehehe! I know, but I felt I needed to say it anyways :)
InactiveX wrote:Windows gets on my nerves but I have to use it because I write and produce music. It's either MS or MacOS, and I've never really got on with Macs. There are some very exciting developments happening in the Linux audio field, but it'll be quite some time before it's a viable option for me. I just wish Be Inc. had never gone the way it did. :(
I have read of some distros that are audio-centric. You can read more of them in this Linux Journal article. I also found this page on amundi at Distrowatch with reviews and other links. I have no idea how good that stuff is though but it might be worth keeping an eye on.

As for Be, I sincerely agree with you. I remember the first time I fired up the personal edition of BeOS 5.0. I was totally amazed at what it could do. Windows felt like a dinosaur in comparison.
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Post by InactiveX »

Thanks a lot for those links. Bookmarked!

Today I have mostly been thinking about writing my first GNU/Linux tune. :)
-> BP6.com Membership <-
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

March 31, I mortgaged everything I own and bought my wife a Video store.
April 1, daughter and son-in-law left 3week old baby with us for 5 days while we tried to learn how to be small business owners.
April 2, clutch went out on my car.
April 4, had to drive 200 miles in my car with the bad clutch to get daughter and son-in-law as they were stranded.
Sometime, got BP6 back from Abit-RMA.

Last weeks...
Got the daughter back, gave the baby back, fixed the clutch myself, BP6 rebuilt, rebuilt a HP4, havent gone out of business yet.(just argue a lot)
Really Ive just been running like a headless chicken since March 31.
There are *almost* no bad BP6s. There are mostly bad caps.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
ViaCPU laptop with Vista.(Works great after bumping ram to 2Gig)
P-III 850@100
phaedrus

Post by phaedrus »

Well, let's see, I've spent the last week trying to find a Solid State Relay that doesn't crap out at 4.2 Kelvin (no luck so far, but most of the International Rectifier models get much better at 77 Kelvin). We're trying to find some switches that might actually work when we throw them inside a 6 Tesla superconducting magnet (cold superconducter, which means a Liquid Helium bath, which sits at 4.2 Kelvin).

Going to Nuclear & Particle Physics lecture 3 times a week. Learning about such interesting things as how the W+/- processes do not conserve Parity or Charge Conjugation (but are invariant under both operations combined). If that went over your head, don't worry, I'm specifically being a jackhole. ;)

Spent Wednesday evening at a career fair trying to find someone to pay me money in 2 months.

Found out I won't be going to grad school next autumn. I'm not disappointed. I was getting to the point where I was half hoping I'd be turned down. I've been wanting a break from academia. I give myself two years with more money than I've got now to get sick of the job world and go back to being a student.

No tidying, and not enough money to tinker with hardware at the moment. Uniprocessor boxen suck.

Jeff
"If it ain't broke, mod it till it is"
They said... and now my BP6 needs new processors... D'oh
Slackware Linux v10.1
purrkur
Linux Guru

Post by purrkur »

InactiveX wrote:Thanks a lot for those links. Bookmarked!

Today I have mostly been thinking about writing my first GNU/Linux tune. :)
I found this article on Professional Sound Editing with Audacity as well as this article on a program called Csound that might interest you. I haven't read them because my interest in those are not that great but I thought of you when I saw the articles mentioned on Linux Today so I thought I'd post them.
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Post by InactiveX »

Cheers purrker. Looking now. :)

This week I have mostly been doing DIY on the flat and refurbishing old PCs.
-> BP6.com Membership <-
24seven
IRC Lurker

Post by 24seven »

... doing UNI work and I'm currently in newcaslt egetting drunk :D

YAW!!!! :guns: :coolman: :cheers: :jester:
purrkur
Linux Guru

Post by purrkur »

24seven wrote:newcaslt egetting
Hehehe! We ca nsee that :D How are you feeling today? :twisted:
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd
24seven
IRC Lurker

Post by 24seven »

Hehe didnt get to bed until erm 6:30am..

Dont feel too bad today thanks :D

I blame not being used to the keyboard. heh