Old HP printer questions.

davd_bob
Confused

Old HP printer questions.

Post by davd_bob »

I looked and there is no HP4.com...well actually there IS but it was part of HP and useless to anyone not buying new stuff.

I need suggestions on some vintage HP LaserJet printers and don't know where else to turn. BP6ers are the best group of techies I've met.

1) IIIp:it never grabs the 2nd page on a multi-page print job. Work looks great other then that.

2) HP 4 original version: what kind of SIMM is used for adding memory.

Also, If anyone needs it I have 2 sticks of 72-pin 32MEG EDO SIMMs.
I will be waiting for answers.
There are *almost* no bad BP6s. There are mostly bad caps.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
ViaCPU laptop with Vista.(Works great after bumping ram to 2Gig)
P-III 850@100
hexibot43

Post by hexibot43 »

http://www.all-laser.com

http://www.fixyourownprinter.com

I have two hp iip's that I was able to fix with the help of these websites. They knew everything, and had the parts kits to fix it for real cheap.

Mab
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

Thanks for the response. No one on the I-net seems to have much help. Unless someone is willing to pay more then the printers are even worth to get components.

On the question of what kind of SIMM to add to a HP-4 I couldn't find even one answer but I discovered by trial and error the right SIMMs in my inventory. If anyone is interested they have to be 8meg or less, 36 bit. I think that makes them the parity type vs 32 bit being non parity and much more popular in "vintage" equipment as non-parity was less expensive. BTW, many sources will sell you an authentic HP SIMM for $60 - $75.(the printer is only worth $25)

On the question of paper pick-up for HP IIIp it seems like a kit is available for about $30 plus S&H(the printer is worth less then $25). There was a suggestion to use turpentine and coat the pick up rollers and let them soak for 15 minutes. Then clean the turpentine off and make sure the entire pickup assembly is also cleaned. This allows the rubber pickup rollers to once again be 'stickey enough to work. I haven't tried that yet.

Thanks,
David
There are *almost* no bad BP6s. There are mostly bad caps.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
ViaCPU laptop with Vista.(Works great after bumping ram to 2Gig)
P-III 850@100