Q: Is anyone here using the UD agent?

SETI Team :: https://setiathome.berkeley.edu/team_di ... amid=30229

Moderator: HAL6000

KliK

Q: Is anyone here using the UD agent?

Post by KliK »

curent projects are cencer cure research (ver. 2) & rosetta! past procject involved some smallpox research and others...

more on: www.ud.com
KliK

Post by KliK »

just got 51% of CPU power on ROSETTA computing with mine two cels 533@544 SL3FZ...what are your results?!
Dave Rave
G'Day Mate!

Post by Dave Rave »

if you have 51% os CPU that means you are only using one cpu at 100%

change your prefs to use more than one cpu
KliK

Post by KliK »

Dave Rave wrote:if you have 51% os CPU that means you are only using one cpu at 100%

sorry, but that is wrong!

51% of CPU power compared to P4 1,5GHz!!! and down here is the pic...
KliK

correction

Post by KliK »

Dave Rave wrote:if you have 51% os CPU that means you are only using one cpu at 100%

sorry, but that is wrong!

51% of CPU power compared to P4 1,5GHz!!! and down here is the pic...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dave Rave
G'Day Mate!

Post by Dave Rave »

well, ok, i suppose, maybe

but there is no way , uhm, dual 544 ?
yeh, ok
KliK

Post by KliK »

Dave Rave wrote:well, ok, i suppose, maybe

but there is no way , uhm, dual 544 ?
yeh, ok

that is why i posted it! so that the others running BOINC can compare their results...
is there anybody else running programs like this?!
Dave Rave
G'Day Mate!

Post by Dave Rave »

can you change the known comparison CPU spec ?
KliK

Post by KliK »

Dave Rave wrote:can you change the known comparison CPU spec ?

in this program, you cannot! the P4 1,5GHz is reference point...it's been a top system on the start of the project, just few months after Seti@home...

but what i do like about that kind of comparison, is that it's not some quick test for computer power...it's a long term test!!! so it's the long run power...
KliK

new results!

Post by KliK »

i got new results...this time it's 54% of P4 system!

c'mon you guys using BOINC...what do you have with BP6?!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
KliK

Post by KliK »

here is another pic of the most current results...in them, i've overclocked my CPUs 533@576 with FSB on 72MHz...the difference in great...and now newer results are here!
KliK

Post by KliK »

here is another pic of the most current results...in them, i've overclocked my CPUs 533@576 with FSB on 72MHz...the difference in great...and now newer results are here!
Billl

Post by Billl »

I don't run UD for one simple reason. I'm not giving away my resouces so they can make money off of me.

Billl
KliK

Post by KliK »

Billl wrote:I don't run UD for one simple reason. I'm not giving away my resouces so they can make money off of me.

Billl
UD or BOINC are the same thing...both are for educational perpouses only and with cooperation of the universities...so that makes your remark silly!!
Billl

Post by Billl »

KliK wrote:
Billl wrote:I don't run UD for one simple reason. I'm not giving away my resouces so they can make money off of me.

Billl
UD or BOINC are the same thing...both are for educational perpouses only and with cooperation of the universities...so that makes your remark silly!!
Before you call someone's remark silly you might want to check your facts. UD does indeed sell your processor time to it's customers. Supposedly to cover their costs.

http://www.grid.org/help/faq_howitworks.htm

Silly me will just quote it from their site!

"This sounds too good to be true. Am I missing something?
Everything is on the level. This is the ultimate win-win situation. Members of the Volunteer Your PC program contribute computer time that normally would go to waste. Our customers and project partners can access more computing power to advance their projects. United Devices picks up a fee for building and administering the software that does it all, and we all get to feel terrific because we are changing the world.

So how terrific do you feel now? LOL I'm not donating my resources to make them money.

Billl
KliK

Post by KliK »

in fact, that is true and it's not true...
'cause they have developed the UD Grid MP and all the software for clusters and the UD agent, which was all selled as a product to WCG (http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/)...

and when you look at all the projects done with UD agent:
Statistics By Project
Project Status

Human Proteome Folding Project Active
United Devices Cancer Research Project, Phase II Active
United Devices Cancer Research Project, Phase I Completed
Smallpox Research Grid Project Completed
United Devices Anthrax Research Project Completed
Web Perfomance Testing Inactive
Genetic Research Using HMMER Inactive

(seen on: http://www.grid.org/stats/)
you can see that the project are in fact non-pharmacy based (no pharmacy company has the acess to grid.org), which cannot be said for the WCG (just list their partners on: http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/about ... artners.do)!

also, check their sponsors & partners of UD:
(found on: https://www.ud.com/company/customers/ ; on which you can also find link for industry solutions and what projects they do with them...i've checked them all and only find out implementing Grid MP solutions inside the company)
Select United Devices customers and partners:
Novartis
J&J PRD
GlaxoSmithKline
Sanofi~Synthélabo
U.S. Department of Defense
Galderma
Dr. Reddy's Laboratories
Children's Memorial Research Center
ADA
Oxford University
University of Texas
National Physics Laboratory (UK)
NTT Data
Sumisho Electronics
Top 5 Auto Manufacturer
Texas A&M University
University of Florida
Decrypthon Program
Satyam
Attorney General's Office (confidential location)
Rapid Prototypes
Purdue University
Accelrys
Tripos
Japan Biological Information Research Center (JBIRC)
Landmark Graphics
Schrodinger
IBM
Intel
HP
Gateway
Singapore Computer Systems (SCS)
Robarts Research Institute
University of Basel
National Foundation for Cancer Research
Inpharmatica
Optive Research
University of Western Ontario
Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center
MITRE
USAMRIID

as well as the link: http://www.grid.org/projects/
you can see that the research programs have been done mostly by universities...also, grid.org is not profitable (if you can find the other proof than twisting the words around, please do! maybe you can get the financing paper to proove it...); but UD corporation is with selling their program sollutions to the world (not computational power!!!)...
that is why they have sepparated before (when the company was building up and a volunteer based United Devices Cancer Research Project, Phase I was started in cooperation with Oxford UNiversity Chemistry Lab & INtel was started)...and the project is volunteer based, non-profit project run...

in fact you already nice copied from the page:
"United Devices picks up a fee for building and administering the software that does it all"
now, you must be programer, so you might have better understanding of these words?!
so they pick a fee for building (UD agent) and administering (UD Grid MP) the software that does it all (must be the calculations!)...so they are only selling software and admenistering it...so if they say that and do sthg else (like selling computational power), that would be a froud!!! viewing that is an american company, it would most certainly be on the front of the Inquirer and draged in courts on a very public trial!!
so if they are lieing and commiting a froud, where do you think they put the "we are selling your computational power if you give us your PC power" just to mention it?! or "please do know that you would be one of many, who are the fastest Grid supercomputer on the planet; so feel free to join and we can sell the power to the highest bidder" and the froud wouldn't be there!?!? sorry, but if you are Mulder, this isn't some conpiracy theory and certainly not X-FILES...this is just computing like all others, like BOINC!

in fact, there is no difference in BOINC projects and UD projects!!! both are computing Human Protenome Folding (HPF in text,like WCG also) which is a part (of should i say second stage) of the Human Genome Project (HGP, in text) which is funded by UN, MMF & WB and US goverment (if you don't know which institution those are, maybe you should have look in World organizations)...and with that also United Devices Cancer Research Project, Phase II; which is also for the Oxford University Chemistry Lab research!!! only difference is that BOINC is Uni program & UD is volunteer-based, research, free prgram for Uni's...
so if they sell the computational power of my computer (or several of them) to whome would they sell it?! those are all public projects!!

but for all those running WCG, they are selling theirselves...maybe that is why they use AIDS@home project to get people, 'cause all they do is compute for the phamaceutical companies!!!

p.s. if they see your post on web and they do know that they didn't do that, they can take you to a court...I do not know what penalty for giving wrong informations and saying bad about someone or some company is in your state (or country), but in my country it's a jail (and I put one goverment minister in jail for telling lies about me to newpaper...)!! so be clever not to write sthg that you don't know or couldn't proof!!!
Billl

Post by Billl »

KliK wrote: as well as the link: http://www.grid.org/projects/
you can see that the research programs have been done mostly by universities...also, grid.org is not profitable (if you can find the other proof than twisting the words around, please do! maybe you can get the financing paper to proove it...); but UD corporation is with selling their program sollutions to the world (not computational power!!!)...
that is why they have sepparated before (when the company was building up and a volunteer based United Devices Cancer Research Project, Phase I was started in cooperation with Oxford UNiversity Chemistry Lab & INtel was started)...and the project is volunteer based, non-profit project run...

"United Devices picks up a fee for building and administering the software that does it all"
now, you must be programer, so you might have better understanding of these words?!
so they pick a fee for building (UD agent) and administering (UD Grid MP) the software that does it all (must be the calculations!)...so they are only selling software and admenistering it...so if they say that and do sthg else (like selling computational power), that would be a froud!!! viewing that is an american company, it would most certainly be on the front of the Inquirer and draged in courts on a very public trial!!
so if they are lieing and commiting a froud, where do you think they put the "we are selling your computational power if you give us your PC power" just to mention it?! or "please do know that you would be one of many, who are the fastest Grid supercomputer on the planet; so feel free to join and we can sell the power to the highest bidder" and the froud wouldn't be there!?!? sorry, but if you are Mulder, this isn't some conpiracy theory and certainly not X-FILES...this is just computing like all others, like BOINC!
Wow what color is the sky in your world? All I did was quote their web site. You want to give your processing power to some company making money off of it be my guest. I never claimed they were commiting fraud. I just quoted their site. It seems pretty clear to me what they are doing. If your comfortable with that have fun.
KliK wrote: p.s. if they see your post on web and they do know that they didn't do that, they can take you to a court...I do not know what penalty for giving wrong informations and saying bad about someone or some company is in your state (or country), but in my country it's a jail (and I put one goverment minister in jail for telling lies about me to newpaper...)!! so be clever not to write sthg that you don't know or couldn't proof!!!
Maybe before you start quoting the law to me you might try learning to write in English. Oh yea getting a clue might help too!
Billl

Post by Billl »

KliK wrote: as well as the link: http://www.grid.org/projects/

Wow what color is the sky in your world? All I did was quote their web site. You want to give your processing power to some company making money off of it be my guest. I never claimed they were commiting fraud. I just quoted their site. It seems pretty clear to me what they are doing. If your comfortable with that have fun.
KliK wrote: p.s. if they see your post on web and they do know that they didn't do that, they can take you to a court...I do not know what penalty for giving wrong informations and saying bad about someone or some company is in your state (or country), but in my country it's a jail (and I put one goverment minister in jail for telling lies about me to newpaper...)!! so be clever not to write sthg that you don't know or couldn't proof!!!
Maybe before you start quoting the law to me you might try learning to write in English. Oh yea getting a clue might help too!

Billl
KliK

Post by KliK »

Billl wrote: Maybe before you start quoting the law to me you might try learning to write in English. Oh yea getting a clue might help too!

Billl

well sorry if the English is bad...but the law seem to be the same in all modern democratic countries...nor the bad english, nor the things people think mathers! only the facts!!!
(and i ain't some lawer, just do know my rights...do you know yours?!)

and another thing (also from the law!), if you said: "they are seeling your computer power!" ; and you are first one who said it, then you have to prove that! so the clue thing is for you...show me some proof!!!
A PROOF they are selling my computer power for projects that are same on many universities (Oxford, Bercley's BOINC or some other)?! or maybe a PROOF they are not computing those projects?!
Billl

Post by Billl »

KliK wrote:
Billl wrote: Maybe before you start quoting the law to me you might try learning to write in English. Oh yea getting a clue might help too!

Billl

well sorry if the English is bad...but the law seem to be the same in all modern democratic countries...nor the bad english, nor the things people think mathers! only the facts!!!
(and i ain't some lawer, just do know my rights...do you know yours?!)

and another thing (also from the law!), if you said: "they are seeling your computer power!" ; and you are first one who said it, then you have to prove that! so the clue thing is for you...show me some proof!!!
A PROOF they are selling my computer power for projects that are same on many universities (Oxford, Bercley's BOINC or some other)?! or maybe a PROOF they are not computing those projects?!
I don't even know how to respond to you. They say it right out in their FAQ they charge some of their customers. You can twist it around anyway it suits you. But if they are charging people for their services then your donating your cpu power so they can make money off of it. If your ok with that then have fun. I was just pointing it out so others on here won't be misled by the way that they bury it in a FAQ. Personally I find that offensive. If you don't then have fun.

Billl
KliK

Post by KliK »

here are some of the FACTS from the web site forum.grid.org:
UD - Jeff Lawson wrote:
I just thought I'd point out a few things that may be clear to some of you but not others. None of this is intended to be an official statement from United Devices, but all of this should be self-evident from the information that is publically available on the websites:

Company background: United Devices is a software development company focused primarily on selling Grid MP enterprise grid management software and MP Insight software to mostly corporations and universities so that they can harness their own computers and run their own internal private grids. UD sells several editions of its Grid MP and MP Insight products based on the needs of its customers. The community grid.org project is just one of the several non-dominant things that UD does.

On the topic of non-profit arrangements: grid.org is indeed run by United Devices, at a non-trivial financial cost to the company to purchase and maintain the hardware, bandwidth, and staff time needed to support it. To the best of my knowledge, grid.org is not an independent legal entity as any type of self-sufficient non-profit organization (it is merely a website and community-based project operated by UD). I don't know whether there are any tax-deductions being taken on behalf of the expenses incurred by grid.org (I suspect not) or whether it would even be legal to do so--we do actively donate outdated, unused, or excess hardware and supplies to our local Goodwill agency though.

The community projects are run on a separate domain (grid.org) from the corporate (ud.com) website, but NOT for the purposes of attempting to hide the fact that grid.org is run by United Devices. There is actually quite a large number of cross-site links between the two, if you were a casual webuser and really wanted to get to the other website. The separation between the two websites was done to make it easier for two groups of users: 1) our corporate/university customers that are looking to buy our commercial software do not want to be overwhelmed with information not relating to our software. 2) our community project members do not want to have to wade through a confusing business website that does not relate to the community project. The grid.org domain was also just a lucky domain acquisition that we managed to arrange, and not using such a cool domain name for a community project would have been a waste.

On the topic of profiting: Although UD receives some money from sponsors (such as IBM, Intel, or Microsoft) as a part of each of the grid.org projects, that amount alone is insufficient to fund the company and its grid.org community projects. Therefore the sponsorship money is used in combination with income that UD receives from its corporate and university customers from selling the Grid MP enterprise grid management software and MP Insight software to collectively pay for the expenses.

On the topic of IP of results and profiting: UD has no interest in becoming a genomic intellectual property holding company for the molecular results produced by the community projects at grid.org. After all, UD is just a software development company focused primarily on designing and selling generic enterprise grid computing software. The results from each of the grid.org projects are generally the property of whoever initiated the project with UD (and not the property of UD), and UD sends the results over to that entity at the conclusion of the project (and sometimes at periodic intervals). Here is an example of the press release of the transfer of the results of a prior project. If you are interested in gaining access to a copy of results, you would need to make arrangements with them and not UD.

On the topic of the altruistic motivations: You may wonder the purposes that United Devices has by running grid.org since it alone does not seem to be a profiting aspect of the business. It actually serves several important business purposes:

One of the software products that UD also sells is the custom software and expertise for Grid MP Global, which permits corporations to set up their own community project similar to grid.org but hosted on their own servers. The Japanese telecom company NTT already did this and successfully ran several projects on their own Japanese-language grid: png, png, png, png. The availability of our own grid.org helps act as a live demonstration of the Grid MP Global product to such potential customers.

Although our corporate Grid MP Enterprise product no longer entirely shares all of the same code-base as our Grid MP Global product, the availability of grid.org has helped to serve as a beta testing community and load/stress-test facility for our software. That was invaluable to the company since many problems and suggestions that were discovered with grid.org also were relevant to our Grid MP Enterprise product. This may again become important in the future as we try to reunite our code-bases and merge functionality in the coming months.

Even though the UD Agent or member web aspects of grid.org are not very similar to our Grid MP Enterprise product, grid.org does function as a very effective advertising and sales tool to spread knowledge and awareness of the possibilities of distributed computing. Just as many grocery stores advertise "loss leaders" to attract customers to come in purchase other items, grid.org helps to encourage interest in our other products. It is without a doubt that at least some of our current corporate/university customers first became aware of UD because some individual had participated in the grid.org projects.

Running Internet based projects is fun for all! I and others started distributed.net because I enjoyed the large-scale aspect Internet based projects. Continuing the tradition of running Internet-based projects is an important appeal of my work at UD.

Serving humanity is good for your karma.

to check it out, just go on this link and check again...so these are the facts from the guy imployed in UD company...
where are yours FACTS?! :D
g0fvt

Post by g0fvt »

Interesting... I intend to run it until I hit 3yrs CPU time and then maybe give it a rest.....