300CFM, bit noisy...Lets do it! Any suggestions?

Cool cases? Different resistors? More airflow? Show us...
Blueneko
aka Gabumon

300CFM, bit noisy...Lets do it! Any suggestions?

Post by Blueneko »

Ok, its been a week, BUT I finally recieved my small, yet powerful Squirrel Cage fans!! Heres my $30 fix, and the case was free. We have two air cramming Squirrel Fans ready to be mounted to a full atx case, but where and how should I Mount these bushy haired contraptations?

Lets not worry about Dust, or anything else yet RRLedford, ok? First off, thinking oiling them would help with any noise reduction, and they do vibrate a tiny bit, but they are going to move the air I want, much more than some tornado fan does, (these sound much better than a whining little fan yelling constantly)

I plan on running 124fsb with air cooling mechanism, Should I replace the EC10 cap also?

Let the suggestions pour in and see IF the squirrels can do it!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Blueneko
aka Gabumon

Post by Blueneko »

Case:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

Assuming you're not planning to pull air out with these, why not mount them on the side and shoot air down onto the two CPU sockets with one & the GPU + Northbridge chip with the other?
Blueneko
aka Gabumon

Post by Blueneko »

Sounds good RRLedford, I had planned on using 90 degree pvc pipe to see if it could suck air out if i mounted the fain to blow upward and using the sides to suck, but I quickly failed top realize that air is both from both sides, including the side where the motor has the shaft that spins the fan.

So you seen the picture? I posted it, but it disappeared....
I like that idea what you had, so basically take both units and mount them directly to the side of the case, to have two of em just forcing air onto the bp6 cpu's and just under that where the northbridge is.
Even if two 80mm case fans can be used as an exhaust, Should i add two inside the case above the tippy top where theres room to mount two 80mm exhaust fans? (Even if i have two 300cfm of air comming in)
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

Why bother with exhaust fans - the pressure buildup of the squirrels will move more air than any puny 80mm or 92mm fans! They will just get in the way - you need square inches of open holes for the flow.
Blueneko
aka Gabumon

Post by Blueneko »

I bought these squirrel cage fans off ebay, since home depo or any hardware store didnt sell em, maybe an A/C store might sell some, or look on ebay
I seen this auction, same guy, same fans!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 1920916030

My case has lots of holes in the chassis for the air to be moved, so I believe ventalation wont be a problem at all!
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

If u r going to try 4 124Mhz, u may have to do more than just changing the EC10 capacitor.
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
Blueneko
aka Gabumon

Post by Blueneko »

Alright, I have had a successful boot with dual 366 @ 124fsb 2.30 V -->
682mhz, memory counts, and it goes on to see my raid configuration, passes the blue screen of the dreaded highpoint controller, yata yata, see the win2k loader screem and whamie, freeze, (hence, I have not mounted both fans onto the side conver of case yet, I merely held the squirrel fan on top of the heatsinks, with the case open and etc, Geee. I have a sinking feeling its going to work after I complete the modifications, all with the evercool 725, vantec shipset cooler. and Ive seen somewher ein this post (on another tread) that someone used small heatsinks on the northbridge chippies?

"The power of air baby!" :mrgreen:

All in all, the squiirel fans are noisy for my taste, But i will continue onward!!!
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Post by InactiveX »

If you haven't already, try using BP6FSB to change the FSB after Windows has booted. You may have more luck reaching 124MHz that way!

http://www.bp6.com/bp6fsb.php
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

Good idea, I still have one of my three BP6s that can't boot with FSB higher than 98MHz. But after Win-XP Pro loads, it's just fine at 110MHz. No idea of what the issue is either.
Blueneko
aka Gabumon

Post by Blueneko »

Modifications almost complete, the test site is going to be at work in our server room, where its a mere 58ºF ~ 67ºF with dry air. I wonder how this will turn out. I havent had much time with my bp6 lately since iove been busy after thanksgiving catching up on much needed rest. so hang on.
Blueneko
aka Gabumon

Post by Blueneko »

Heres the modified case with both squirrel blowers in tact blowing as hard as they were designed to, too bad its 80 degrees inside since its "cooler outside"
sucks.......
something parciluar about 124fsb, before without fans, i could actually boot once, but next time i would have to reset cmos, now it starts but freezes (maybe because its so hot inside), but when i turn it off, it actually starts right up again without hesistating but still freezing, DAMN hot air!
Blueneko
aka Gabumon

Post by Blueneko »

Front view: (is there a way to add multiple pictures in one posting)??
Blueneko
aka Gabumon

Post by Blueneko »

Ok, tommorrow is the testing day @ work.
System going to be cold!!!!!!!!!!!! =D
lets see how it goes (ill also try out the program to clock it @ higher speeds within winblows).
Blueneko
aka Gabumon

Post by Blueneko »

This morning I have only set up machine in the server room and running the bp6 with dual 366 @ 600 110fsb @ 210V
I have not tried the 124fsb yet, tho im hoping it will go. The cpu temps are a nice 22ºC~23ºC for cpu1,cpu2, and system may go down to 20ºc at idle. Using the vantec chipset cooler, two nexfan 725's and 300 watt powerman atx power supply, the video card used is a Radeon 7200 PCI without its fan, a promise ata66 with resistor mod to make it FastTrak66 raid. Using two 15 GB Seagate drives and spanning them into 30 gigs. 512mb ram. and huge case. I didnt use the fsb booster to make it 600, it boots up no problem!

The server room I believe was 67ºF degrees when I went there, and the squirrel fans jamming (tho is already loud in the server room with multiple servers and loud ass tornado fans)

So lets see if it crashes if not, ill try 124fsb after lunch.
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

Let it run @ 110FSB for a few days running SETI or BurnBX for 100% CPU usage, and then try 124FSB.
Blueneko
aka Gabumon

Post by Blueneko »

Im replacing my old dual 200 pentium pro machine with the bp6, Ill have to move raid to it. It was running at 18 celcius or 66 defrees F when I left home today. I tried 124fsb, but it was only detecting 1 cpu @ 2.3V and it wouldnt start with 124fsb with 2.2V or anything else. hmm *Grin*
although, it did not crash.
=)
After I convert it into my new server ill make it work, even try burnx or whatever
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Post by InactiveX »

You could try going even higher by disabling the L2 cache in the BIOS. Your PC will be much slower without the cache, but it'll at least tell you if the CPU has reached it's limit, or if it is another part of the computer that can't take it.

Also, with a cacheless celeron, you may hit 133MHz and have mega-BP6-kudos 8)
Blueneko
aka Gabumon

Post by Blueneko »

Im not sure if anotehr part cant take it, the promise ata converted to raid controller works fine, the video has no fan on it, but theres a squrrel fan forcing 60 degree air into the case right on top of it, the memory works ok, none of the caps are busted or anything
vinman

Post by vinman »

And I tought I was crazy ..when I hooked up my central vacuum to the back of the pc....
I happen to have a central vac hookup right on the wall near my pc..so now when I'm crunching or rendering I turn on the central vac and a short hose hooked to the back of the pc sucks all the air out and keeps everything cool and CLEAN.....
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

vinman wrote:And I tought I was crazy ..when I hooked up my central vacuum to the back of the pc....
I happen to have a central vac hookup right on the wall near my pc..so now when I'm crunching or rendering I turn on the central vac and a short hose hooked to the back of the pc sucks all the air out and keeps everything cool and CLEAN.....
Hahaha! I toyed with that idea but never got around to it :) CentralVac hookups in all the right places!