Replacment Cap's

Cool cases? Different resistors? More airflow? Show us...
Gushie

Replacment Cap's

Post by Gushie »

I found a busted bp6 at a junk sale.. from the looks of the board i need ot replace Cap's ec18 to ec25 (inclusive)
and L17 and L18

BUT these parts are damaged and i cant see what they are supposed to be can anyone lend a hand a tell me the specs of the CAPs and the items on L17 and L18

cheers
G
Gushie

Post by Gushie »

Bump,

Some one must be able to help me with this
Gushie

Post by Gushie »

thats great, and the website has farnell parts listed i could ask for more.

cheers
Graham

p.s. is there any rateins for the coils i will need to look out for?
g0fvt

Post by g0fvt »

I would be inclined to change all the capacitors, I am doing them on my BP6 in a few days, will post results on here somewhere, I am using capacitors from Maplin (ordered today) part number UQ23A. They are 10v 4700uF with a very low esr and same diameter and pitch as the originals.
g0fvt

Post by g0fvt »

My BP6 is done now, a few changes, all of the 1000 and 1500uF capacitors have been replaced with 4,700uF 10v capacitors also EC10.

The 100uF capacitors have all been replaced with new 100uF and the one 10uF has been replaced by a tantalum capacitor.

While I was at it I have altered the ventilation on the power supply and put arctic silver on the greenie....

Results better than I had hoped, dead stable and running 560Mhz on air cooling, unfortuately CPUs are 466 so pci goes too far out of spec at any higher clock. Will post pics on my webspace and update on here if I do anything else...
g0fvt

Post by g0fvt »

Just a quick note to say that it is still running happily, the VP6 has also benefited from having all the electrolytics changed.

Overclocking has improved marginally, very tempted to go for Dual P3s on the BP6.........
g0fvt

Post by g0fvt »

I did not know for sure it would work.... though electrolytics are wide tolerance components at best..... I would go for slightly smaller capacitors next time purely because the diameter of these capacitors made things a bit cramped..... the BP6 is ok running linux at 588Mhz but less in Windows XP pro.... realistically it is solid 24/7 at 525Mhz (75Mhz fsb on dual 466s)....... the capacitance is probably secondary to the esr of the capacitors ( effective series resistance ) .. no trick cooling any more!
g0fvt

Post by g0fvt »

Sorry, I forgot to mention.. the Maplin caps are quite a lot bigger than the originals, I made a mistake with guessing the diameter! Also I have crappy OEM type heatsinks and fans these days so I was not worried about tall capacitors around the CPU sockets. I have a tatty web page http://www.g0fvt-hamradio.dsl.pipex.com/ I am sorry it is so bad, I hope to do something better when I find the time!